Aev - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

The point is that Land Rover isn't having an issue with sales and branding. The models they have today are by choice and are the culmination of a decade long makeover of the company. LR are well aware of the market and they've purposely cultivated their current image. Sales have never been better and they've never been more global. You can say that their current narrow focus is paying off in a way that is much better than when they had a more "lifestyle" approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2014, 10:34 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
my buddy just bought a JK with a price tag of $46k and said it was one of the cheaper ones?
he was referring to the construction quality and materials ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I'm with Sam, when I drive buy any of car dealers (Dodge, Chevy Ford, etc) in my town they will all have a $65K 3/4 4x4 truck out front with another $10 to $20K worth of lift, tires and other shit on it. Jeep will have a Rubicon out front sporting a lift and 35 BFGs on Bling Star rims with a fleet of stock jeeps behind it. It brings people on the lot.

On the local Land Rover lot all the new Rovers look the sams, save for color. I had never seen a LR3/4 do anything more than drive through some rain puddles on US1 untill this fall at Uwharrie when I followed one up Dicky Bell at night. It was amazing how well that truck did on the trails but you would never know it to look at one. You would think LR would encourage aftermarket accessory support so they can put one out front that stands out from the others and says "yea, I'll climb a friggn' mountain" even if no one ever does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
he was referring to the construction quality and materials ...
Which are much better now than they used to be.

OP, are you complaining about image? They [LR] are not 'off road' enough? AEV is an independent company that works with Jeep and uses their dealer network to sell their line. The equivalent would be Terra Firma equipping LRs from the showroom. Why would they do that though? LR is not really the off road brand that Jeep is.
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:02 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
The point is that Land Rover isn't having an issue with sales and branding. The models they have today are by choice and are the culmination of a decade long makeover of the company. LR are well aware of the market and they've purposely cultivated their current image. Sales have never been better and they've never been more global. You can say that their current narrow focus is paying off in a way that is much better than when they had a more "lifestyle" approach.
We'll see if that approach holds when Tata looks for market share when the volume models show up on the lot.
Old February 4th, 2014, 02:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I just wish they would make parts for my 23 year old RRC.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:18 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Yes. I think they could do better.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I for one love equipping Rovers for the lot with KIT; however, there are a few things to keep in mind which limits the amount any dealers do.

1. Volume/Inventory when there isn't a lot of inventory available, we are less likely to equip our vehicles with stuff because people may come in wanting that one without all the extras and then we are screwed if there aren't more around just like it, whereas we can always add KIT to a vehicle on the lot for a specific customer.

2. A lot of the items require modification and can not be removed, or are cost prohibitive to remove. As you mentioned, the vehicles have moved up-market in pricing and that changes the demographic of the buyer in a few ways. There are far fewer buyers able/willing to spend $60-100k+ than $24-50k, the vast majority of buyers in this price range are not buying a land rover to use off-road, and these buyers are rightfully more discerning and picky; if they are spending this much, they want what they want and they aren't going to settle for one that has stuff they don't want on it even if we eat the cost of it.

There have been a lot of good points/arguments made in this thread. KIT is absolutely a great way to build a stronger relationship with the client. Helping someone personalize his/her vehicle helps build repore, makes the vehicle uniquely his/hers and ultimately makes the buyer happier with his/her purchase.

If we had more inventory, we absolutely would install more KIT for the showroom, but right now that is our biggest hold-up. Also, just to clarify an earlier post, the KIT Warranty actually Matches the Factory 4yr/50k Mile Warranty.

I admit it is frustrating to see JEEP developing such a reputation in the general public and Land Rover to seemingly be losing it; however, a higher percentage of Land Rover owners take their vehicle off-road than any other vehicle. Also, I wouldn't necessarily say that buyers of New LR Products aren't enthusiasts or aren't off-roaders necessarily, quite a few just don't want to abuse vehicles this nice in that way. They buy a Jeep to beat up and keep the RR to drive everyday. They would probably buy defenders, but you can't get one and a used NAS is as much as a New Jeep with Warranty...

I like to think of the difference being that the Land Rover is the Gentleman's Off-Roader.
This this...

-or-

-rather than-

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Kit usually has zero residual on leases too. Back when I was at the dealer, we were like screw it and fitted nothing unless someone asked. That being said, I sold a ton of running boards.
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Kit usually has zero residual on leases too. Back when I was at the dealer, we were like screw it and fitted nothing unless someone asked. That being said, I sold a ton of running boards.
KIT is now Residualized at MSRP (Parts not Labor) but we seldom lease any vehicles (at least here in IL where the taxes are insane). I have actually had several people who wanted brush guards within the last couple of years, but they haven't made one, or like with the Sport and LR4, they have made it into such a dinky little thing that a lot of people no longer care for it, the ones that want these things want something more substantial.

I for one would love to see more aftermarket stuff made for these vehicles in the absence of Genuine KIT. I'd love to see more press surrounding them and their off road capability too. I am always clipping and saving articles when I find them to keep on my desk. There have been a few pretty cool ones with Kitted up LR4s, but not much available overall, esp. in this country...
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:08 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

What is corporate saying about volume for the Leisure and Dual Purpose lines? JM just said the new Dual Purpose vehicle needs to sell at minimum 5x what the Defender does currently to make a business case.

I understand right now when the Luxury trucks are moving at an unprecedented rate, but what happens when you have multiple Land Rover models starting in the $30s which will directly compete with the higher end Jeep, Toyota, other mainstream models? We can be snobbish all we want, but Tata has other ideas it appears for the lower end LR line. Is there going to be a wait list for a 3 row LR2 or DC100? It will be different clientele, one that Rover has never served before IMO.
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, based on my meeting last week with Ratan and other recent JLR Classified Information I am privy to (totally kidding, this is entirely my own speculation) there won't be the same shortages.

We currently have Evoques and LR2s in stock. LR4s are very short, but I believe that is two-fold, there is a shortage of SC V6 Engines (at least in terms of meeting demand in all vehicles for all markets) and for that reason I believe more are being allocated to the Sport and Range Rover where the Profit Margins are larger. That is just good business sense.

Also, as well are all aware, the LR4 is a phenomenal vehicle, but it is due for a make-over. My guess is also that with the new one coming soon, they prefer to allocate engines to the other New Models rather than over producing older technology that they will need to add incentives to at the end of the year to move along...plus, typically sales drop once the new one is officially announced, which is one reason they wait until just before the vehicles come out to let the cat out of the bag so to speak. Unfortunately we end up with customers who are angry, rightfully so, when they purchase one and find out two months later that the new one will be there in a couple months. The fewer they produce, the fewer upset customers they will potentially have, whereas every Range Rover buyer is bound to be thrilled and continue to return to buy more...In essence, by producing less of the outgoing model and more of the new models, they are achieving a higher level of customer satisfaction based on a limited production number.

There is a New Engine Plant Opening in the UK this year as well as a Vehicle Plant in China that will open later this year to produce Chinese Mkt LR2/Evoque. Both of these should alleviate production constraints in the UK and increase overall volume for the brand. Also, as they ramp up to produce a new model, I am certain they are forced to shut down sections of the factory to deal with the change over, once everything is set for whichever vehicle is announced next, that will reopen that section of the factory. I believe the combination of increased production, the introduction of the new models and production line changeover will provide us with more inventory across the board, but everything takes time. Also, with every new model there are always bugs to work out. JLR has really done an outstanding job of dealing with them before releasing the vehicles to the public; however, there are still things they are finding and working out all the time. We don't even see a lot of the issues/glitches ever because they are constantly making firmware updates behind the scenes, they are really concentrating on making sure that every customer is happy and that his/her car is trouble-free.

I have to say, all of this work has really paid off too. We used to constantly have customers come in and tell us how awful they heard Land Rovers were. Everyone had a story of a LR they owned, or one a friend or family member owned and it was nothing but trouble and ate them alive in service etc. Now I consistently have customers tell me how amazing their car is and how much they love it. I have people all the time telling me how amazingly trouble free their LR has been or that their friends/family that have them told them how wonderful they are and that they have to get one. It's been a long time coming and a lot of work at every level, but finally the vehicles truly are very trouble-free and the word is finally getting out.

Anyway, these are just the ramblings in my head, so take it for what it's worth.
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
I have to say, all of this work has really paid off too. We used to constantly have customers come in and tell us how awful they heard Land Rovers were. Everyone had a story of a LR they owned, or one a friend or family member owned and it was nothing but trouble and ate them alive in service etc. Now I consistently have customers tell me how amazing their car is and how much they love it. I have people all the time telling me how amazingly trouble free their LR has been or that their friends/family that have them told them how wonderful they are and that they have to get one. It's been a long time coming and a lot of work at every level, but finally the vehicles truly are very trouble-free and the word is finally getting out.
That's the truth! '06+ is light years ahead of anything produced by Land Rover is the past.
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:00 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
they have made low range an option in the LR4 enough said.
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
they have made low range an option in the LR4 enough said.
How many people are actually using low range? 1% of customers, at best? If I had an LR4, I highly doubt I would ever need the low range. I'd like to have it as an option if needed, but I don't think that would keep me from buying one.
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

On my DD SUV I intentionally avoided low range because it just adds complexity with no benefit since I won't use it.
For 99% of Lr4 owners it's unnecessary. For the remaining 1% 99% of them will use it for towing horse boxes across fields or boats up ramps. The rest might actually use it for green laning.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:52 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I've only thrown my 4x4 in low once, and I was stuck in 3 feet of snow and I needed to churn my way out... from a manufacturer's standpoint I doubt its a good idea to give drivers low range gears on vehicles with drivetrain warranties if you know what I mean
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:32 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Found an interesting read. Heres a screenshot of it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1684339300.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	90318

Basically, this researcher found that the Jeep, meaning the JK models, are some of the most registered models in the most affluent neighborhoods in America.

No cross shopping, eh?
Old February 25th, 2014, 12:33 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Just means that most rich kids dont think for themselves or their parents and bought/got them a jeep so their kids would fit in.
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:41 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Just means that most rich kids dont think for themselves or their parents and bought/got them a jeep so their kids would fit in.
Not the case at all. As with many of the NOVA HH crew, I live and work in Loudoun County -- the highest income and wealthiest county in the country. We are surrounded by Jeep JKs and I probably see 40-50 per day. Behind the wheel is a working stiff just like me. I think the perception that Jeep has the kid market is not there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat