Advice Sought... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 8th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"You're saying that the insurance would still repair the frame though, right?"

Yeah, there def going to repair it. They would just never replace it. You can come out on top in this pretty easy if you have the time to do the repairs yourself.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

depending on the size of the dollar input..... I think Rovers North sells brand new frames for around $2500 or so.

Replace the frame with a new one, freshly galvanized. Then use the old frame, buy an old body tub somewhere, and make a matching trailer :-) If you were closer, I'd be interested in the old frame for just such a project.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:47 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Yeah, I have been calling around for galvanized frames, and I guess they are all on some sort of a backorder thing, and they don't know when they'll be getting more in. I called Rovers North, DAP, and Atlantic British so far. The prices (if they had them in) range from $2500 (at RN like you said) to about $3700. So we'll see what we can do there. Thanks for all the advice, help, and input!!

Does anybody know where I could get a galvanized frame or at least an OEM one???

Update on my brother.... He went to the chiropractor the day of the accident and they did all the normal stuff, x-rays, tests, etc. He went back yesterday and the first thing the doctor said was, "Do you have a high threshold for pain??" Come to find out, he severely tore some ligaments in his neck from the impact. He's getting it all taken care of, and the doctor is hopeful that he will make a full recovery as long as he doesn't strain it more. He is being good about following doctor's orders. The crazy thing is that I haven't seen him complain about his neck at all since it happened. That kid's tougher than I am, LOL.
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

OK guys, it's been a little while, but here's where the D-90 stands.

The frame was bent, I was finally able to crawl under it and have a look around now that it's at a shop. The drivers side frame rail is bent really good and buckled just behind the front tire where the frame rail bends downward from coming over the axle. The metal is buckled more than 90 degrees, so straightening it is out of the question. It'll be a full frame replacement (which I am actually very happy about). The only problem is it's getting closer and closer to the insurance company talking about totalling it rather than repairing it. The estimate is up to $17,627 now (man I could do a lot if I had that much in cash!!!).

Attached is a full (so far at least) list of parts needed. I am posting it because I am hoping that some of you will have some of these parts cheaper (and faster) than what is quoted on the estimate. James, the guy running the repair shop is really good and has done quite a few Land Rovers and one other Defender. That other Defender was on the lot for 11 months because the parts took so long to get there. I really don't want to leave my truck there for that long, so any help is appreciated. Also, if I can find a better deal that what is quoted, I can maybe get some extra money out of the deal because insurance will reimburse you for the retail price (at least that's what I hear so far, anybody can correct me if I'm wrong).

Let me know if you have any of the parts in the attached pdf!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf enter_do.pdf (169.5 KB, 475 views)
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, this is going to be a long one, I'll go over every item I think you can get significantly cheaper.
If you do a lot of legwork yourself, you can save a LOT of money on this. If you're going to go through with it, let us know and we'll do what we can to help track stuff down. Post up some ad's in the "Wanted" area, and keep an eye on the "for sale" section.

The main thing is to track down a frame, since that can get the work started quicker. I'd give EastCoastRover a call on that one, since they do the galvanized frame swaps, but they also convert 90's to 109's and MIGHT have some laying around. They do a LOT of stuff with frames actually.

Overall suggestion.... Junkyards such as Carcannibal.com (only Rovers), and sometimes the aftermarket or upgrade part will be cheaper as well.

Roversdownsouth.com has has a LOT of defender body panels at good prices but you need to actually call since the website lists only a fraction of the inventory.

1. $750 for bumper and grill guard? Easy to go cheaper. E-bay, lots of guys here might have one.
2. $800 for hood? I know Roversdownsouth had some good used ones for about half that, RoversNorth too.
3. $400 for a fan clutch? All over the place online for less than half that. Hell for the $600 for the fan, clutch and shroud... go with an electric setup and save $400.
4. $600 per fender? Should be able to get some good used ones for far less.
5. $300 for a crank pulley? Didn't some guys do engine swaps lately, they'd have one laying around.
6. $550 for radiator? Might as well get a custom 4-core done and throw the electric fans on it.
I KNOW that there are also some good radiatiors floating around.

ALso, 110 A/C condensor on e-bay right now for only $10.50 at the moment, 1.5 days left.

-Hans

Old March 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

OK, finally heard back from insurance and now they want to total it. We probably could get their estimate down by using used parts and other parts from different vendors and not have it totalled, but now we are thinking just total it, give it a salvage title and then buy it back from the insurance company and build it into the d-90 we always wished we could afford.

We would really like to keep it and don't plan on selling it anytime soon, so with that in mind...

Question: What would you do if you were in our shoes?

A. Take the truck with the salvage title and the extra money (in our case, we would get the truck back and still have about $18,000 to work with)

B. Total it (give the truck to insurance) and get the money back (roughly $22,000) and buy a new defender and not have much left over to do much to it modification-wise.

C. Whatever else you guys can conjure up.

Your input is appreciated!!
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You know, $22,000 can go a LONG way toward an absoultely amazing Series III or IIa

About $5k-$10k could get you one that's ALREADY in great shape, then having another $10-$15k to put into it? yummy yummy

-Hans

Old March 11th, 2005, 06:00 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Yeah, a series III would be a great idea. I'm going to start looking around right now...

Keep the ideas coming though!
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If I hadn't spent money on things I didnt specifically need (like G4 seats and stainless everything), I could have dont my entire Tdi conversion for 18 easily. That included new galvy chassis, new motor, the works.

I would just call george at RDS and ask what 18k will buy you. It will be a lot.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I would choose option A

But if you decide it is more work than you want to do I would be happy to give it a loving home. It would get all the loving and custom parts a 90 could ever want.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht