Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Firefighter2904
jason
97 d-90

Exclamation Advice on buying a 2003 Ranger Rover

Hi Guys,

Ive searched and read all the topics but its always good to get fresh opinions.

I have found what looks like a real nice 2003 Range Rover HSE with 44k on it.

I am looking to replace my wifes current ride (2002 NIssan Xterra). The vehicle needs to be super reliable.

I have a deployment to Afghanistan comming up and I want her to be safe and have a reliable Vehicle.

I though I remember reading some where here that 2003 was the best year to get because ot the BMW motor.

I am looking for any and ALL advice before I pull the trigger on getting this.

We all ready own one money pit (97 ST Defender), I dont need another.

Thanks guys,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2008, 04:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"The vehicle needs to be super reliable."

Buy japanese.

I had an 04 and an 05 RR (BMW motor was 03-05) and both were ok for the brief time I had them (the 04 did eat an alternator, but it was fixed quickly and without any real issue). 03-04 navi system sucked.

Some early production 03s had some weird issues and all of the BMW ones have a recall to replace the troublesome from diff, but they are still rovers and being 5 plus years old, expect to need air springs etc. sooner or later and I would doubt they will not have various electical issues and other assorted niggles. Never really loved mine the way I loved the D90s.

Not as bad as a p38a, but not like an accord either.
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

2003s have more than their share of problems. My 05 has been very reliable (50k miles so far). The only difference between the 2003/2004 and the 2005 (other than a noticeable decline of TSBs) is the touch screen nav. It's nice, but there's no way to add anything (like an iPod ifc) on to it due to the fibre optic entertainment ring (MOST).

The troublesome front diff of the BMW era RRs has just been fixed through the dealer.

Check out rangerovers.net for more info.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The '05 is technically the best year IMO because you get the newer nav and still the BMW engine, but that is the only real difference between the '03 and '05. If she is going to use the Nav a lot, I would either get an '05 or get a garmin for the '03.

Definitely get it Certified. I would not own one out of warranty. They aren't real troublesome (as rovers go) but they are very expensive to maintain. They all have problems with welds cracking on the cats and a single cat (they have 2) is about $1,000 for the part alone. That is just one example of how expensive it can be out of warranty. The EAS system is worlds better than the P38, but can still be troublesome after many years, especially if it lives in a cold environment.

I love the newer RR, but make sure it has warranty, and that it is the LR warranty, either Cert. or Assured. I was a LR service writer for a while, and they are the best at picking up costs. Most of the aftermarket warranty companies will make the shop wait to send out adjusters, not cover a lot of stuff that the LR one will, and some will even refuse to pay for new parts!
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
I would not own one out of warranty. They aren't real troublesome (as rovers go) but they are very expensive to maintain.
I'll second that. I'm covered for 7yr/100kmi. After that, it's back to a 95 RRC for me.

Do your research on the nav system. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten a 2004 with the BMW nav system. It's an easy plug and play upgrade path to bluetooth, sat radio, iPod, TV, DVD, etc with the latest stuff from BMW. Look at http://www.roverupgrades.com/ for more info. Land Rover, in it's infinite wisdom, has orphaned the 2005 system from any upgrades. You can't add Sirius, nor the backup camera, nor the audio input module...

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
My wife has a 2003 RR that we have had for 3 years with no issues and its always been reliable. Great car IMO. Its got around the same mileage as the one you are considering. but i certainly feel better that i extended the warranty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
2003, buying