Advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 17th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Advice

I have been reading this site for almost two years now and have close to buying aD-90 on a couple of opccasions, but it never seemed to be the right fit. I now have two options to chose from and would like to solicit advise/debate over the them. Both are Black which is the color of choice for me.

First - 97ST w/60K miles. Needs a new soft top. No options or accesories what-so-ever. So I need to add an A/C kit, which I heard is near impossible to find. Asking $22,000

Second - 95ST w/115K miles. ARB brush gard, WARN winch, ARB lockers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust, LR roof rack. Asking $20,000

Which would you buy and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Rick Carlisle
Rick Carlisle
1997 Alpine White D-90 SW

Joe,
I would buy the 97 because I wanted an automatic. But since this is YOUR truck, that is one key thing you need to decide. Also, while the 95 has some options which are cool, do you really need them for what you will be using the truck for? And remember, you can always add the things you want after owning the truck for awhile and after deciding how you will use the truck. That was advice I got from this group before I purchased and it was damn good advice.
If either the auto or stick are ok with you, then pick the truck that is in the best mechanical condition. While initially most may believe that is the one with the lowest mileage, that is not always the case.
My $.02.
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:06 PM
tbrand2068
Travis Brandenburgh
1994 D90 ST

Joe, I have owned both a 1995 ST and a 1997 ST. Unless the 1997 is in significantly worse shape, you should absolutely, positively, without a doubt buy the 1997. With half the miles and being two years newer, it is a MUCH better value for the dollar. Even if they were both 1995's, the difference in miles alone would more than justify the extra cost. Of course, my opinion is probably worth precisely what you paid for it. Good luck with whichever route you choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I gotta go with these guys. For the price the 97 looks way better. And with the milage difference it makes it more desirable. At 115,000 you could just be running into a lot of issues. The AC will be pricey unless you can pick it up used if it is important to you. Congrats on your purchase. You will be happy whichever way you go!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:37 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Last I checked 97 AC was still available at $1500 new.

94 is impossible and 95 is hard to find.

Ron
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Value wise, I too agree that the '97 would be the buy. Also, $22K is a great price for a '97 let alone in good shape/low miles.

If you pass on it, please shoot me an email, I got a friend that has been looking for quite some time and he would be interested.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:16 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I agree. That's a good price for a low mileage, no frills, and certainly hardly used truck. You have a clean slate to build upon, if you so choose. That's where the fun is.

Old November 18th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Ron,

Do you know where I can get an A/C kit for a 97. If you have any sources that have one in stock please let me know, b/c that is the deal killer for my wife. If I can retrofit A/C I think I will be going with the 97.

Thanks for all the comments,

Joe
Old November 18th, 2003, 01:51 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

I have a 94 and wish I had an auto every time I'm stuck on the 405 at 5 o'clock. I'm also a fan of getting a truck that has not been modified. that way you can do every thing the way you want and not spend any time fixing bad mods. just one thing is bothering me about the 97...22k for a 97? makes me wonder what is really wrong with it. it just seems a little too low... especially if it is a so. cal. truck.

just my $0.02
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

22k is extremely low. Where exactly is the truck listed? I might be able to go out and take a look at it to see if there is any major issues. If it would help.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Unfortunately the truck is in storage somewhere in Oregon. The Seller lives in New York and is moving to London. He said he had the LR dealer local to him test drive it and was going to sell it back to the dealer. The dealer offered him 22K. Accrding to the owner he would rather have someone who appreciated it have it than the dealer. He is the only owner of the truck. He said the truck has a small ding in the door and could use a new soft top.

I would definetely go up to to look at before I bought it. Being I have never owned a D-90 I would have to take it somewhere to look at it before I bought it as well.

Once again thanks for the advise.

Joe
Old November 20th, 2003, 03:44 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

22k for a 97 is a great deal. Definitely get the 97.

I have a 97 with no A/C and thought I wanted it for the Wife as well. I then showed her how much foot space she loses on another 97 with A/C and she quickly changed her mind. I certainly haven't missed A/C at all.

If you're still set on it, from my research, the 97 A/C kit is still readily available for $1526.00. The part number is STC1370W97.

Good luck!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:42 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

There's a guys selling an A/C system and a soft top for a Defender on Discoweb, FWIW....

http://www.discoweb.org/discus/messa...tml?1069349005
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:52 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Joe,
The LR dealer is trying to pull a fast one on the present owner. Buy the 97 D-90 NOW! Look at the for sale board on this site and you will see you are getting a 1997 at 1994 prices. Even is you put 50% purchase price into it (~$11k), it still is cost effective.
BUT DO ONE THING FIRST- Get a full look over by a mechanic, and the 60,000 service. Do not go to the OR LR dealer (they aint kosher in my book) - can anyone on the site recommend a shop in OR for Joe.
If I had not been layed off and had the $$, I would drive to OR and buy it myself this weekend. to your good fortune, and get the Mrs while you install the A/C
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on going to OR over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. I can't hardly wait. I have been dreaming of a D-90 fo rquite some time, and to find a 97 Black ST, which is exactly what I wanted for $22K is too much. So if all goes well I will be joinging the ranks of D-90 owners on this site. From the time I have spent onthis board I am confident that I will be in GREAT company.

BTW if someone knows a LR mechanic in OR that would be great.

Thanks
Old November 21st, 2003, 07:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Try your dealer, roversnorth, Land Rover Frisco, AB, and British Pacific.

One of them will have it.

Ron
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:01 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe P
... So if all goes well I will be joinging the ranks of D-90 owners on this site.
Very nice... I look forward to adding you to the Owners Bios!

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat