Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Actual fuel efficiency

The engine conversion that I think is the best(mazda 3.5 slti) has just returned 7.54 miles per liter in a 110. 28.5 US mpg. 34.2 UK mpg. About 8.3 liters per 100 km. This was on a highway/motorway trip through 50% hilly/steep terrain in Devon & southwest England and 50% flat east Anglia. It returned much better mileage than my 200 tdi 90 did on a trip to Scotland and the H4H euro 4x4 rally. It never got close to 30. People regularly claim 30mpg with 300 tdi and 200 tdi engines. How fast are you all going and are you actually getting this or is it an absurd claim? How many liters per gallon are you using for your conversion if that's what you're doing. I'm using 3.78 liters for the US gallon and 4.54 for the UK gallon.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I get a no joke 29.3 MPG calculated with the android noble apparently called "mileage"

Truck is a 200td, 1.2 tcase, 235/85 tires. I see almost 90% highway averaging an indicated 65. Where on GPS = 61.

84 2 door 110 with minimal gearand currently a soft top.

Best mileage on a tank was 31.5 after a recent oil change in perfect weather and a long drive .
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
14.5 if I drive accordingly with 255's
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

With a:
300 TDI
110 SW with cage and roof rack
1.4 transfer case
235/85R16 tires (BFG AT/KO)
47 cetane BP fuel

I consistently get 23-24 mpg (US) or 28 mpg (UK) combined cycle.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I also have trouble climbing hills in 4th unless I have a running start. I may be geared too tall
Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:18 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Word. I put in a 1.003 t-case on the 110. I did speeds between 60-70. It's hard to keep it at 60 because the engine keeps on pulling no problem and I find myself up at 70 and slowing back down. No issues on hills in 5th as long as I'm above 55mph, otherwise the rpms are too low and the engine lumbers for a while before accelerating. That's more an issue from the t-case ratio though. I'm sure a 1.2 would be fine but it's nice actually being able to use each gear from 1st to 5th.

I'm sure my engine could use a tune-up. I pulled it out of a range rover and haven't done anything in the way of a tune-up except for fluids. Just waiting on the engine manual to come from Australia.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:09 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

That Mazda engine always seemed to be a good one for LR.
Don't hear about it much anymore. Anyone still doing those conversions?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:41 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
That Mazda engine always seemed to be a good one for LR.
Don't hear about it much anymore. Anyone still doing those conversions?
Not consistently like they used to. If you get one, places will agree to do it. I don't think it's as easy to source the engines except from vehicles that have them. I bought a RRC that was converted years ago. There are plenty of T3500 trucks for cheap that I've seen on Japanese websites for importing. M&D still offer parts but they specialize in 2.8 TGV conversions now. I was going to have them install it but they kept giving me later and later dates for when they'd have space and time so I got sick of waiting and did down the street from where I live with a mechanic that I know and trust.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
How many liters per gallon are you using for your conversion if that's what you're doing. I'm using 3.78 liters for the US gallon and 4.54 for the UK gallon.
My 200tdi 90 gets about 25 miles per US gallon (3.78 liters/gallon)

I filled up with 11 gallons and drove to Rausch Creek and still had about a half tank left. So I guess in that case I got around 27 miles per US gallon (3.78 liters/gallon)

The above with 1.4 tcase, 225/75R16's, and 2 inch-ish lift.

I have yet to measure my mileage with the TSL SX's.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
I also have trouble climbing hills in 4th unless I have a running start. I may be geared too tall
Same situation here.
1.22 transfer case w/ 300Tdi and R380
265/75/16 BFG MT (admitedly haven't checked TP in a while)

observing low 20's MPG but tend to do quite a bit of warming-up/idling in the winter mornings and I'm also heavy on the wellie! I switched from manually tracking cunsumables to using an app on the iPhone (Car Minder). not the greatest, but simple.

The 1.22 case is good on the highway, but it really is too tall for a rig with full exo cage in the sand or mud. Comfortable crusing at 70mph, but 65 is perfect, 60mph if you really want to be efficient.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
The 1.22 case is good on the highway, but it really is too tall for a rig with full exo cage in the sand or mud.
Low range is all the same though 3.32 unless you're talking about 1st or 2nd hi. I'm not sure of the situation or how fast you're driving so I can't really tell. I would use low range if hi isn't cutting it. I toyed with doing 1.22 in my 90 but decided against it. I prefer driving slow and my drive to work was mostly back roads so I didn't want to go too fast... too much wildlife.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Low range is all the same though 3.32 unless you're talking about 1st or 2nd hi. I'm not sure of the situation or how fast you're driving so I can't really tell. I would use low range if hi isn't cutting it. I toyed with doing 1.22 in my 90 but decided against it. I prefer driving slow and my drive to work was mostly back roads so I didn't want to go too fast... too much wildlife.
Yeah, I'm still learning the new rig. 4-Low feels the same as my old rig with 1.44 transfer case, so what you said makes sense. Just that I always got away with 4-High in most situations with my old 1.44. Not a huge deal.

Still it's geared tall and struggles on hills when you don't maintain momentum.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, fuel