A question for the group. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
ugaking
BK
None, yet.

A question for the group.

I am fascinated by the Land Rover culture and plan to buy either a D90 or 110. This will be my first. What can I expect? What do I need to know prior to purchase? What do I need to know after? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you in advance. I greatly value this group's experience and look forward to being a part in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:44 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaking View Post
I am fascinated by the Land Rover culture.
Can you elaborate on what that means?

Everything you need to know is buried in this forum. You need to start the way I did. Get a six pack, clear the calendar and start reading through threads, starting with stickies first.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:47 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
You can expect to spend a lot more time and money to be told "nice jeep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I would also recommend meeting up with someone local to you or a group local to you and just talk to them about Defenders. See them in person. Hitch a ride in one.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
jon110
Jonathan Barron
1987 110

I have a great starter 110 for sale in jacksonville fl. Come check it out and drive it home to Atlanta. It's fun to drive and everything works with good engine and chassis .
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
ugaking
BK
None, yet.

To elaborate . . .

[QUOTE=Overlander;558521]
Quote:
I am fascinated by the Land Rover cultureQUOTE]

Can you elaborate on what that means?

Everything you need to know is buried in this forum. You need to start the way I did. Get a six pack, clear the calendar and start reading through threads, starting with stickies first.
I have a good friend who is a Rover enthusiast. He owns 3 rigs: a D90, 110 and a Series. Enthusiasts nationally are ultra loyal, generally very knowledgeable and fun folks in general from my limited exposure. I have received a fair amount of good advice from my friend and was looking for additional specifics on what to look for when buying my first rig. Appreciate the advice Outlander. Sounds like a fun way to research the details.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:05 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Welcome!

As indicated above read through the forum, plenty of valuable information here...

Go to an event.. meet the people.

Don't buy anything with rust.

Plan to spend lots of $$$
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
ALSO! Be forwarned about doing business with Berkshire Land Rover, Bill Cox, OR anything that is not North American Spec (dates in the 80's), and especially anything claimed to be TD5, PUMA, 200TDI, 300TDI and has not been titled in the US. If it has, you will need very experience advice and oversight before you would want to buy it, due to the recent CBP witchhunt. There are plenty good legal 80's imports out and about, but you could get bit hard by making uninformed purchases.

ALSO, IMMEDIATELY SIGN THIS PETITION, AND GET EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO SIGN IT TOO!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...s-and/PhZ4RMgz

Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:33 PM
ugaking
BK
None, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
ALSO! Be forwarned about doing business with Berkshire Land Rover, Bill Cox, OR anything that is not North American Spec (dates in the 80's), and especially anything claimed to be TD5, PUMA, 200TDI, 300TDI and has not been titled in the US. If it has, you will need very experience advice and oversight before you would want to buy it, due to the recent CBP witchhunt. There are plenty good legal 80's imports out and about, but you could get bit hard by making uninformed purchases.

ALSO, IMMEDIATELY SIGN THIS PETITION, AND GET EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO SIGN IT TOO!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...s-and/PhZ4RMgz
Thanks Outlander! Exactly the type of information I am looking for. Signed the petition.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:36 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Outlander! Exactly the type of information I am looking for. Signed the petition.
I loved that. Now make sure your parents, siblings, neighbors, barista, and everyone else signs it.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
You're welcome. BTW, if you insist on not refering to my actual userid, then please refer to me as "Zoolander"

Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:47 PM
trumphair
Martin
97-D90

You can expect that after spending a ton of money getting it just the way you want it, you will sell it and start all over again.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:57 AM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Welcome!

Don't buy anything with rust.

Plan to spend lots of $$$
That is unpossible. They came with rust as a standard option, like the self lubricating undercarriage.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:45 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
ALSO! Be forwarned about doing business with Berkshire Land Rover, Bill Cox, OR anything that is not North American Spec (dates in the 80's), and especially anything claimed to be TD5, PUMA, 200TDI, 300TDI and has not been titled in the US. If it has, you will need very experience advice and oversight before you would want to buy it, due to the recent CBP witchhunt. There are plenty good legal 80's imports out and about, but you could get bit hard by making uninformed purchases. ALSO, IMMEDIATELY SIGN THIS PETITION, AND GET EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO SIGN IT TOO! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...s-and/PhZ4RMgz
Have to add vehicles brought in by DrAaron to the do not buy list. While some were kosher others have proven not to be.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 10:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
buy a long wheelbase JK and forget about land rovers, you have to trust me
Old August 24th, 2014, 12:34 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

martin X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumphair View Post
You can expect that after spending a ton of money getting it just the way you want it, you will sell it and start all over again.

Martin is spot on. Really think about what you want and don't pull the trigger until you find it:
lifted not lifted
front winch bumper or not
extra lights
Drive shafts
Drive lines

are you taking it offroad or going to be a complete garage queen. every mile you put on it devalues the truck so if you are looking to only occasionally drive it. then get a low mileage truck that you can sell later on that will hold its value with only a little added miles.

If a daily driver, don't shy away from high mileage as the POs have more than likely dumped money into it to get it ready to sell. Or the mileage is already reflected in the price.

Buy the truck they way you want it, set up how you want it....it is cheaper than buying a stock truck and then putting everything you want on it. a truck with accessories is cheaper (pennies on the dollar for accessories already on it) then a stock truck that you are going to accessorize.
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:40 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Mark, I mean Zoltan, I mean zoolander, good point.

------ Follow up post added August 24th, 2014 06:43 AM ------

Quote:
I am fascinated by the Land Rover culture and plan to buy either a D90 or 110. This will be my first. What can I expect? What do I need to know prior to purchase? What do I need to know after? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you in advance. I greatly value this group's experience and look forward to being a part in the future.
Get the service manual for the model you're interested in. They are widely available for free on the Web. Check off a ton of stuff on your significant other's to do list, open a tab at your local pizza delivery place, and party on...
Old August 24th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm going to suggest that you track down your local Land Rover club and ride shotgun with them while you figure out your wants and needs.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 24th, 2014, 07:30 AM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

Also, unless you have tons of money be prepared to get dirty, have a good variety of tools and wd40.
Being the second owner (since 2000) of a D1 (definitely one of the lowest-priced entry level land rovers), I am constantly fixing odds and ends. Just did the rear rotors/brakes/seals which was a real pain in the a$$. Read all that you can and find the LR that will fit your budget and expectations. I personally would be all over a beaten up 110 and fix it up "properly" the way i want it.

Good luck in your search!
Old August 24th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
are you taking it offroad or going to be a complete garage queen. every mile you put on it devalues the truck so if you are looking to only occasionally drive it. then get a low mileage truck that you can sell later on that will hold its value with only a little added miles.
I would argue that this advice only applies to NAS trucks. All ROW's are pretty much priced for high mileage, are expected to have already lived a full life, and all buyers wouldn't really trust the mileage reported anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat