A couple of items... - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 18th, 2012, 11:14 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I like the posting idea, It's not hard to get to 25 or 50...
2000 DII (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2012, 12:05 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
If we have to do something then I guess the Sub-Forum is the way to go. I would prefer we do nothing but it looks like that isn't on the table.

So Sub forum and 25+ posts is my $0.02c.

And Andy, Kudos for the compromise. You had me worried for a minute there when you deleted the poll and laid down the law so to speak in the next post, but you came through in the end.

Ian
Old December 19th, 2012, 07:42 AM
rcfarris
Rory Farris
multiple

as a fairly newboy member, i think 25 is a reasonable number. ive been a member for nearly 2 years and am only halfway to the magic 50 number. while i dont post often, i find the info on this forum to be unmatched by others and i personally would not want to be left out due to a low post count
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
If there needs to be a minimum post count to view the new sub-forum, I feel that 25 is within reason (at my post rate I think that would have taken me 3 years).
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Keep in mind the plan is for an opt-in sub-forum (see this post). The post count limit is so we can allow gun for sale/wanted items inside this forum so the buyers/sellers can know more about who they are entering a transaction with. This also ensures that people are here primarily for Rovers and not just to talk shit on some of those topics (we have had plenty of issues with trolls and duplicate accounts in the past).

25 post seems to be the most reasonable limit but we could go even lower to ensure more people can have access.
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:23 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfarris View Post
as a fairly newboy member, i think 25 is a reasonable number. ive been a member for nearly 2 years and am only halfway to the magic 50 number. while i dont post often, i find the info on this forum to be unmatched by others and i personally would not want to be left out due to a low post count
Just run your post count up in the test section if it's 50 and based purely on post count. Maybe Janet could build something with time served plus post count to get the 25ers with a year of "membership" to make the 50 cutoff.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
Hmmm, we the quiet ones don't like minimum post numbers. "Member since..." would be better. Or a combo.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post

Really? I asked one thing and you immediately advise the opposite, if you don't want to see the thread, don't click on it. I get the feeling that you are one of the ones who PM'd him.
Boy do you have a thin skin. I disagree with you. Don't take it personally!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Keep in mind the plan is for an opt-in sub-forum (see this post). The post count limit is so we can allow gun for sale/wanted items inside this forum so the buyers/sellers can know more about who they are entering a transaction with. This also ensures that people are here primarily for Rovers and not just to talk shit on some of those topics (we have had plenty of issues with trolls and duplicate accounts in the past).

25 post seems to be the most reasonable limit but we could go even lower to ensure more people can have access.

First of all, thanks for listening and agreeing to a solution. THank you Ron for allaying some of Andy's concerns about culpablility too. I'm not even a guy who's going to be trading firearms on here, but I enjoy reading about them and actually learn a lot from the other members who are gun builders and enthusiasts.

Second, I'm all for a threshold for number of posts. I'm not going to be one that will involved in gun transactions on here, but think about this for a minute. I have 300+ posts and does anyone really KNOW me? Well, maybe some people do. Rather than imposing some artificial limit, why not have it be like a private club, where other members have to know you and vouch for you?

For example, if noobie "X" want to trade guns on the forum, he/she will have needed to meet some other member in person or have done a transaction with another member and that member would have to "approve" them. I'm not trying to complicate your already great solution, but how do you really know somebody until you've had some face-time or done a significant transaction with them already?

Maybe that's overcomplicating it, but if I were selling a gun and some guy I had never met or heard of had 26 posts, I'd still feel pretty uncomfortable until I met them in person or had somebody else I trust vouch for them. As I'm writing this I realize that this is probably over-complicaetd, because that sorta means that you'd need to be verified by another member before you cold even enter "The Mud Pit".

Finally, unrelated to this thread but since it was discussed earlier, the "Recent Topics" bar on the right hand column is a great tool. THat's a definate improvement. Thanks Andy and Admin.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:45 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

forums

There should be four forums:

Rovers for sale
Rover parts for sale
Neil's posts
Everything else

Seriously Andy, just pick something and implement it. You're the boss and there's no way you're going to please everybody. If your solution isn't working, you'll hear about it.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:51 AM
DGH
David Howe
None

This is a long thread so I might be misreading it but...

The regular crowd complained about having an "opt-in" lock put on the hot topics forum. The argument went something like, "if you don't like what you read, hit the previous page button."

Then based, based on a discussion with an attorney, the Mod offered to add restrictions to the opt in, a threshold minimum number of posts and a sub forum in the chit-chat section where these "Hot Topics" might be discussed.

That was a hasty retreat by the staunch defenders of D-90. Quite the company.

FWIW as newbie I read most of the chit-chat and comment on very little (or none) of it. I will admit that i have read all of Neil's dating posts and bookmarked a couple so that I go back. This site's focus is Defenders but the edge of the conversations is what makes it interesting.
Defender - in the market
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:02 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Subforum that is somewhat hidden seems to satisfy all so props to Andy and the other owners/admins. You guy provide a good free site so I think it was cool of you to find a work around. I haven't paid shit to use D-90 yet it has provided a ton of info and a means to sell a lot of Rover stuff.

I say a 25 post min and/or a sign off by a few (3-5) other members and/or how long you have been on D-90. I know there is a star/rep rating on one of the bike sites I go to that might be able to work.

Everyone is talking "big brother" and censorship but I think it will be a good thing. I might not want a random internet kook to be able to see certain things I post. Add in the fact that guys like Neil could get a little more loose on their adventures and things could be interesting. Hell, let Chapman come back and post in there - I know he pissed a lot of people off - including me - but damn his posts were good reads.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
malaD90
Paul
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I think keep it simple. 25 posts is reasonable. You can always look at a member's past posts to get a glimpse of their level of insanity. I am sure I look perfectly balanced.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I think 'Jackie' is in for a members only jacket too.

-Jeff
It should be Sub-Forum Members only Jacket!
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Dr Mark
Mark
None

I like your solution. I need to stop lurking and start posting more...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
It should be Sub-Forum Members only Jacket!
Will we have to grow the cheesy little mustache from the late 70's / early 80's?

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Will we have to grow the cheesy little mustache from the late 70's / early 80's?
I'd be willing to go with the head and wrist sweat bands...
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM
durt d1ver
BrianFennessy
04 d2

Considering that I dont post here, just browse and PM/email people, I guess I need to start post whoring so I can see all the forums. I typically browse D90 using tapatalk, will there be any issues in that respect?
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:33 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I think it would be pretty cool to have all the really hard core shiz like guns and Neil's dating history in a subforum. It would have to be like a speakeasy though. Like maybe you have to click on a hidden icon that you could only find if you email the mods and have over 100 posts. Then you'd get in. None of the content would show up on the currents list or even be able to be quoted or used outside the speakeasy. None of the posts in there would add to your post count. Nothing posted in there can be used outside nor can anyone complain to the mods about what goes on in there.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by durt d1ver View Post
Considering that I dont post here, just browse and PM/email people, I guess I need to start post whoring so I can see all the forums. I typically browse D90 using tapatalk, will there be any issues in that respect?

Brian , you shouldn't read those forums as you are not qualified to own or handle a Firearm *LOL*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat