A couple of items... - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 18th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
That makes a lot of sense to me! Mud pit is the perfect name; don't change a thing. I really like the idea of posting filter in for sale sections. I have a limit on my ebay filter too, to keep the one and done con men and frauds out of my consideration list. As mentioned by others, I wouldn't buy anything from someone who just posted first time looking to sell or buy something.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I am impressed.

But please tell us why the need to go sub forum of a sub forum? since you are willing to let it ride, why not let it rise as a simple sub category i.e " The Hunting Corral " " Firearms Section " and to access it we should have to click a BIG ASS DISCLAIMER ( acknowledge to hold you harmless.. yadda yadda like any other Firearm Forums ( I think Ron suggested something alike )
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I am fine with a large number of posts... Say 25 - 50...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

@Gustavo - The reason for a sub-forum is because it's mostly stuff that been in Misc. Chit-Chat. For that matter, I'd like to consider consolidating some of those other non-technical forums and finding ways to filter a single Off Topic Forum by things such as cooking, drawings, games, etc. I mean look at cooking, it's been a year and half and there are only 21 threads. Dumb Games has been there for 8 years and has 105 threads (15 per year), does that really need it's own forum? We don't use thread prefixes or tags very much here but they can provide extra levels of organization without having to have more forums.
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Not thrilled about the changes, but whatever. Please allow the mud pit shit threads to be seen in the "recent discussions" section on the side, considering that is how i navigate this forum for the most part now.
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I would suggest that its hidden and not part of the recent discussions section on the side.
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:52 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I would suggest that its hidden and not part of the recent discussions section on the side.
Really? I asked one thing and you immediately advise the opposite, if you don't want to see the thread, don't click on it. I get the feeling that you are one of the ones who PM'd him.
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I understand your point in regards to those sections, but if you count the many firearm related topics , including the for sale ones, I think it will make those forums look pale in comparison.

Another suggestion, in one of my Firearm forums, not only you need a post count ( of a merit value , not just " I wish I had the funds" of GLWS and the kinds ) of 100 to post anything for sale, the sub forum will not display at all unless you qualify.
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
If recent events has caused this much small arms chatter in this forum, the prepper forums must be on FIRE!
All hale the preppers...for they house my stores!!
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I think things are shaping up nicely now. I like the 25+ posts as well or even higher. The idea of posts with merit is cool. I don't think sub-forums need to be hidden.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

John, nice to hear you are using the right hand column now. Members usually hate that the first week until they realize how handy it is and then it becomes a must have.

John & Chris - What you see in the side column will be based on usergroup permissions. So if you opt-in to The Mud Pit then you will see the discussions in the New Post, side column, etc. If you do not then out-of-sight & out-of-mind.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:03 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
John, nice to hear you are using the right hand column now. Members usually hate that the first week until they realize how handy it is and then it becomes a must have.

John & Chris - What you see in the side column will be based on usergroup permissions. So if you opt-in to The Mud Pit then you will see the discussions in the New Post, side column, etc. If you do not then out-of-sight & out-of-mind.
I feel like i made a comment on here about how i didn't like it when it first came out. I do actually enjoy it now, its a very useful feature. Perfect, problem solved.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

So we have recommendations for 25+, 50+ and even a reference to 100 being used on another forum. Does anyone have a gut feel for where we should set the limit? My vote would be for 50, that's more then enough to get to know someone and that they are here first for Rovers.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I would say min 25 but I would prefer 50.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
50 sounds good.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
While you may be entirely comfortable with every topic, many are not or more specifically, the rancor that can be associated with contentious topics. D-90 members share a common interest in rigs but have widely varying interests and lifestyles. Members run the gamut from far right of center to far left. They are gay, straight, atheist or not and most check in here to discuss d-90s. Let's focusing on the stuff we share in common rather than that we don't.
Rancor ? I think the dialogs here have been gentlemanly and seldom digress to a rancorous level.

Well the bi-sexual, cross dressing, liberal,gun hating, mall cruising, jerry can waxing, controversy avoiding, legal rover driving, anal, atheist, side of me just got very self conscious. I hadn't realized that so many were so thin skinned that they email moderators everytime they read something they can't agree with.

Some of the people I disagree vehemently with (in principal) here are some of my favorite people because they don't compromise their opinions to be milk toast in a group environ.

To be of strong character used to be considered an admirable attribute.

I understand that you wish to have the site appeal to the broadest cross section of enthusiasts possible but some people snivel about everything all the time and will probably also complain about any changes you make attempting to sate them as well.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Andy R
Andy R
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
50 sounds good.
That's three for 50 posts. That is definitely enough to get to know who you're dealing with. Please chime in with your thoughts on this...
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
After exchanging some emails with Ron and getting his legal perspective on this, I am going to switch the setup around a little so we can accomplish everyone's goals. Just like Ron and Ed suggested, we'll setup a sub-forum under Misc. Chit-Chat called "The Mud Pit" (if you have better ideas for a name feel free to submit them). The forum will be opt-in but there will be instructions at the top of the forum on how to opt-in so it's pretty obvious.

As for allowing gun for sale/wanted discussions, I'm okay doing this as long as they are posted in The Mud Pit. I would be grateful if you all would agree to a certain post limit to get access to this forum so we don't get any newbie showing up with zero posts trying to get access and then attempt to buy a gun from a member. If we force members to make 5 or 10 posts before they can get access then they have to show some cards and this could provide valuable insight to a buyer/seller. What do you all think about a post limit?

My BIGGEST complaint about ANY forum, is the number of sub-forums.
It makes me have to check 20 different links to see whats up (although the side bar is great, but useless if I've been away for a day or more)

There should be 3 Forums as far as I'm concerned

BS Talk
Technical Talk
Classifieds.

Please dont add another sub-forum.
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It was my idea for the sub forum (i am sure others had the same thought) I doubt it will cause any issue as you can see new thread to the right (also on the app you can see new activity since last visit) and it is not like it is mission critical to fixing your d90 to see the gang discussing Neil's latest conquest or the election or whatever. Ok maybe it is as it forces you to the garage to service it, but ... ;-)

------ Follow up post added December 18th, 2012 11:05 PM ------

I vote 25 posts or a time since registration. I say 25 because some people post very rarely but still have a lot to contribute.
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:13 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It was my idea for the sub forum (i am sure others had the same thought) I doubt it will cause any issue as you can see new thread to the right (also on the app you can see new activity since last visit) and it is not like it is mission critical to fixing your d90 to see the gang discussing Neil's latest conquest or the election or whatever. Ok maybe it is as it forces you to the garage to service it, but ... ;-)

------ Follow up post added December 18th, 2012 11:05 PM ------

I vote 25 posts or a time since registration. I say 25 because some people post very rarely but still have a lot to contribute.
I agree, even 25 posts can take a long time to get too, If you notice, there are many members that have been here for 3-4 years and have 200-400 posts, that would take them a long time to be able to participate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat