A/C loses charge x 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:23 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

A/C loses charge x 2

Have a 95 NAS D90 SW with a dealer installed A/C near the time of purchase by original owner. I bought the truck 2 years ago when the PO stated he recently had the A/C charged. A/C worked for a few weeks then stopped blowing cold air. I had it charged again at my local garage and a similar pattern recurred.

Do I need to take it to a Land Rover dealer or is the system easy enough for a regular garage to troubleshoot? BTW, my local LR dealer (Princeton) lost its Defender mechanic so I not sure they have anyone experienced in anything except late model Rovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You don't need a defender mechanic. You need to put dye in the system (or have a mechanic do it who's competent with A/C's) when you charge it and track the leak. Btw if you see a beach runner 110 down there, wave - it's my friend.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Joshua was on the money.
After you find the leak and fix it, it would not be a bad idea to install a new dryer and expansion valve.
I found the expansion valve on Rock Auto, but the original dryer was tough, so I put in a generic one with a low pressure switch only.

BTW, we have this same Diavia unit in a 1983 110 and it is so cold that if I don't run it on low, it is just too cold unless it's the hottest part of the day and then it gets switched 1 setting below high.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:42 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
What I've done is bought a can of refrigerant at the auto parts store. I got one with the hose and gauge included. Read and follow the instructions or watch a video. It has worked twice on my 90 over the past 5 years now and my son and I did his Disco1 this summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks all. I have held off on driving these past 2 weeks due to the 90+ temps. I haven't seen a beach runner in Princeton ever. What color is it?

Rob, what is the dryer and expansion valve you refer to? I'd like to mention that to whomever I take the truck to. Would a radiator shop have more expertise in A/C units? My patient manages a radiator shop so I would trust him to do the work.

1of40, I might go this way . . . I'll post a picture of what I think is the charging port of my Defender later to make sure I pick the right one.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 03:59 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
Thanks all. I have held off on driving these past 2 weeks due to the 90+ temps. I haven't seen a beach runner in Princeton ever. What color is it?

Rob, what is the dryer and expansion valve you refer to? I'd like to mention that to whomever I take the truck to. Would a radiator shop have more expertise in A/C units? My patient manages a radiator shop so I would trust him to do the work.

1of40, I might go this way . . . I'll post a picture of what I think is the charging port of my Defender later to make sure I pick the right one.
It's tough to get it wrong as the sizes of the ports are different. On his D1 there is an H for the high point and L for the lower point. The lower point is what you want. the instructions should tell you to test the pressure the system is under before adding coolant. That's key and also not over charging. Too much coolant will not allow the circulation the be efficient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:04 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

The port sizes are different as I recall. Basically, you want to attach to the larger of the two aluminum AC lines. The fitting, on the larger aluminum line, will be between the bulkhead and the AC compressor. The other smaller aluminum line runs from compressor to condenser core to dryer to bulkhead. If you don't add a UV dye to determine the leak location you're wasting your time and money. It is probably a leaking fitting on a flex hose. Look at the fittings for a sign of oily residue. The UV dye will confirm the leak. If you have to replace a hose the dryer should be replaced at that time. The dryer pulls any moisture out of the refrigerant flow that would damage seals and the compressor.
Old September 11th, 2016, 09:38 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
For the Diavia unit:

Expansion valve:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1433885&jsn=1

Dryer:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1187074&jsn=1

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

I have been through this for almost two years or so with my system. My original problem was the expansion valve. Replaced that and put a new dryer in. Then I had a hose issue. Got a new one made. Turns out they messed up the crimp on the hose. Had to get another one made. The issue for me is in the process to discover leaks. Freon costs money and in order to find a leak they have to fill it up with freon with dye to find the leak. Then once found you have to remove freon then repair leak and pay for more freon. It can get expensive. I was able to luckily find a shop that uses co2 to energize the system and listen for leaks. Worked perfect and saved me some dough. Might be worth looking into.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac