Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
'99 110 in Chapel Hill, NC

It was parked at the blockbuster on Airport Road (Martin Luther King Blvd.) near I-40. I was with my girlfriend, and she was actually very interested in it. We stopped and looked all around it as I wondered to myself what exactly it was or how a "new" defender was sitting there in front of me. It was a Td 5, green, no roll cage, rovers north roof rack, looked stock, and no NAS badge. I have a pretty lousy pic on my cell phone. Anyway, we waited for the owner (anyone on here??), and we talked for a brief minute when he came out. He said a friend of his in the military had helped him bring it into the US after he bought it from someone in Europe (Germany?).

I know that there are probably 30+ threads on importing Defenders, and i'm not particularly interested in that. But i was curious as to what the d-90 source would have to say about this '99 D-110. I assume it wasn't brought in legally and is a "grey market rover" even though the owner claimed that it was brought up to US spec. when he imported it. Stupid me forgot to see if it had a NC registration sticker (although my guess is that it wouldn't really prove anything other than the guy at inspection station got slipped a $20 for a sticker...), but my cell phone pic does seem to show a sticker.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I believe they can be brought in if 1. it is your personal vehicle abroad 2. you alter the vehicle to meet importation regulations, DOT etc.., it's a big hassle.
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If it didn't have a roll cage, it wasn't made fully DOT compliant. The cages were installed because the trucks didn't meet rollover standards without them. And since there was never a DOT compliant airbag system installed in Defenders, I doubt it has that either.

I'd also be a bit wary about the external lighting, as I have seen e-bay trucks that were made "Compliant" but only had a single tail light on one side.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2006, 10:32 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

It was grey, I know a guy in wilmington that had one and he had no problem getting it licensed in NC
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:20 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
I believe they can be brought in if 1. it is your personal vehicle abroad 2. you alter the vehicle to meet importation regulations, DOT etc.., it's a big hassle.
You can only bring the truck here for a year. After that, you have to show proof it was returned to the country it originated from.
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:43 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

You can't Fedralize a 1999, only a 1993 at this time.

NHTSA web site has all the data.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:06 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
very cool guys. thanks for the thoughts and backing up my suspicions.
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how often are you in the Raleigh area? Any offroading to do around here? I am stuck here for a few more weeks
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:58 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
well im working in chapel hill this summer. Where in the Raleigh area are you? there isn't really a whole lot of offroading to be done in the area. In highschool i lived in cary and we used to run several powerline trails around there, but most of those have been over run by kids, and now the cops have shut several of those trails down. I have heard that is a good trail off of capital blvd.

most of the wheeling i do now is down in uwharrie or in the mount airy area where i used to work at a summer camp. let me know if you wnat to try and find some trails sometime.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags