97 Defender 90 Questions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:06 PM
aquatiger
S
none

Registry
Yeah, I talked to the guy up at Badger for a while this morning. He said it's about a 4 month wait for a top. The guys at Rovers North have a twillfast top that looks similar, but I bet it isn't a Badger in quality:

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...T02&type=0&eq=

No offense Keith, but that top doesn't look fine. It needs a new top. If you'll let me hose it off with that top on and there isn't significant water inside, then I'll buy it for your price Does this one still have the surrey top, or no longer?

I ran into a guy right outside my office who was driving a beautiful Monza red 97 defender. I offered him cash right there for it. He bought it from, guess who? Copley. He wouldn't sell. Rolf has a 97 beluga black going up for sale soon. I'll post some pics and see what you guys think. So we'll see.

Anyway, the search goes on...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:51 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
come on up..... but you have to hose every other truck off to. all soft-top leak. =)
there is also a little less of a gap now-a-days since i added the vertical bars that go in the sleeve - but there is still a small gap.
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Birdman
Chris Bird
1995 D90 ST #2046

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatiger View Post
Yeah, I talked to the guy up at Badger for a while this morning. He said it's about a 4 month wait for a top. The guys at Rovers North have a twillfast top that looks similar, but I bet it isn't a Badger in quality:

No offense Keith, but that top doesn't look fine. It needs a new top. If you'll let me hose it off with that top on and there isn't significant water inside, then I'll buy it for your price Does this one still have the surrey top, or no longer?

I ran into a guy right outside my office who was driving a beautiful Monza red 97 defender. I offered him cash right there for it. He bought it from, guess who? Copley. He wouldn't sell. Rolf has a 97 beluga black going up for sale soon. I'll post some pics and see what you guys think. So we'll see.

Anyway, the search goes on...

Thanks

a four month wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2014, 09:18 AM
aquatiger
S
none

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
a four month wait?
Yeah, I talked to him on the phone for a while. I thought from other people that it's a much longer wait, but that's what he told me. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on everyone's part...
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The "Guy at Badger" is Chris Laws. He's the Boss, secretary, seamstress, shipping department, accounts and billing.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:

No offense Keith, but that top doesn't look fine. It needs a new top. If you'll let me hose it off with that top on and there isn't significant water inside, then I'll buy it for your price Does this one still have the surrey top, or no longer? I ran into a guy right outside my office who was driving a beautiful Monza red 97 defender. I offered him cash right there for it. He bought it from, guess who? Copley. He wouldn't sell. Rolf has a 97 beluga black going up for sale soon. I'll post some pics and see what you guys think. So we'll see. Anyway, the search goes on... Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
come on up..... but you have to hose every other truck off to. all soft-top leak. =) there is also a little less of a gap now-a-days since i added the vertical bars that go in the sleeve - but there is still a small gap.
I've got to back Keith up here, for a factory Bestop, the soft top does indeed look to be in good shape. Unfortunately, that's the way it was from the factory in the 90's. The gap between the doors was a flaw in the design that Bestop later tried to cure with support bars. But, even with the additional bracing, they all leak, even when new. You can still buy a new Bestop and it will do the same thing right out if the box!

But, I guess it's all based on perspective. Keith and I have been around Defenders a long time so what's normal to us sometimes comes across as abnormal to someone that's just learning about the vehicles. As a prospective first time Defender owner, you should prepare yourself for the truck's many idiosyncrasies. Hell, even a Defender station wagon, which has a full hardtop, leaks around the corner of the doors.

But, if getting getting a little wet is not your cup of tea, then it sounds to me like you're looking at buying the wrong vehicle......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 18th, 2014, 02:10 PM
aquatiger
S
none

Registry
Thanks for the input. I agree that these cars have their issues. There were a few more issues that precluded me from buying it, not related to the cost. I definitely have no concern about getting wet. But if a top doesn't even tuck in around one rear corner, and there are visible gaps that you can fit your hand through, then it's not even average.

I'm sure you've seen worse in your experience. But even Keith has 2 others for sale right now that don't have that problem...

All that being said, you guys know these trucks way better than I do. So I could be wrong. I guess it's just my opinion then.
Old June 18th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
But if a top doesn't even tuck in around one rear corner, and there are visible gaps that you can fit your hand through, then it's not even average.
This sounds like a problem with the fitting, more than a problem with the top.

There is no give in the roll cage, so the top needs to be hot (literally) and pliable in order for it to achieve a proper fitting on the truck. Best way to accomplish that is to set the top out in direct sunlight for a few hours so the material can expand. If it was put on the truck without doing this, then the top will not fit properly.

An alternative solution to the problem you're describing is to take a hair dryer or heat gun to the effected area, along with a little "elbow grease". With a little expansion of the material, the top should fit in around the rear corner. As for the gaps, I think Keith already said they've added the B-pillar support bars to keep the top from bowing behind the doors. A little heat and adjustment on those portions of the top should achieve a tighter more acceptable fit.

Bear in mind though, after all this, it's still going to leak.

That being said, I can understand if there are other concerns. I was only addressing the one issue that I was aware of.

At any rate, best of luck in your search!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, 97, defender, defender 90