94 NAS Defender 90-P.O.E.(Port of Entry) 1 of 65 made! on EBAY - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

94 NAS Defender 90-P.O.E.(Port of Entry) 1 of 65 made! on EBAY

There is a 94 D90 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...526364529&rd=1

What do you guys think about it? Do you think it is priced reasonably? I need to get back into a Defender 90 fast!

You are bidding on NAS 1994 Land Rover Defender 90. This is one of 65 P.O.E.
(Port of Entries) ever built and released to the public. This Defender is more rare than the 1995 Station Wagons, 1997 Diamond Editions, or the 1993 Defender 110's. These (65) D90's were called P.O.E.'s because they were shipped with no top, and these aluminum hardtops were fitted at the port of entry. Notice the Station Wagon-style hardtop with the soft top upper doors, snaps aling the sides, and swing-away tailgate/ upper clam shell configuration. All P.O.E.'s were late '94's, back when LRNA was trying to decide between a removeable fiberglass hardtop and a removeable aluminum hardtop. Obviously the Aluminum hardtops were scrapped and the fiberglass hardtop prevailed from 1995 - 1997.

This P.O.E. has the R380 transmission, full Land Rover rubber matting, Alloy wheels, and Land Rover folding side steps. I have every service record for this P.O.E. from '97 to present. I have THE ORIGINAL WINDOW STICKER! This Defender just recieved a BRAND NEW tail pipe and BRAND NEW muffler this week. It was previously serviced at D.A.P. in VT. There have only been two previous owners. The wheels are exceptionally nice and the tires are about 30% (new tires will be installed if the 'Buy It Now' is Clicked). There is one dent on the driver's rear corner (see pic). The driver and passenger seats have small tears on the seat SIDE ONLY, but Land Rover Waterproof seat covers will be included with this sale. This is a very nice and rare Land Rover Defender. Call us should you have any questions at 205-821-2497 or 205-223-4812. Thanks.

Thanks

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Sure..........
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Sean,

Seems to be priced ok... but you have to really think about how rare it is. It's really not that 'rare' of an edition, yes there were few of them, and as you can see by the price it's 'rarity' doesn't reflect that.
It's something that LRNA was in confusion about, so it's kind of a 'lucky' rarity... if you will.

You don't seem to know exactly what you want... and forgive me for saying this but it's seems like you're only looking for that 'bling' factor. You seem to have wanted:
A British Racing Green Soft Top, A old Merc GWag, you liked the 'black' limited edition one's, and now you're onto a Wagon again... yes it's a POE but it's a Wagon.

Just my .02 cents... let the flame's begin if there are any... Oh, and a Defender's not the type of vehicle for me to 'get into fast'... You gotta take time and know what you want, and WHY you want it.

I'd buy this truck, to answer your original question.

Cheers,

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

For 23k that looks like a good deal, I would want pics of the underside to check for rust, and maybe call Dap if they did all the work i am sure they would remember the truck. But it looks real nice for 23k with that milage, maybe find out what work was done on it at dap so you know whats new on it?
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I gotta go with Phil on this one. Sure......
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:56 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Nicholas,

I am a newbie to the D-90 world. I actually thought that this one was a ST?...is it not? I actually do not know all of the differences between the SW & the ST? If someone can explain the basics to me, that would be great.

I purchased a 97 SW from a neighbor of mine because I loved the look of it. After riding it for a bit, I wanted to change to a ST and that is how this "search" started.

Again, if the experts of the forum can take the time to "educate" this newbie properly, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again and I am looking forward to reading all the feedback.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The POE top is an add-on hard-top that was intended as a kit but only done in limited numbers. The truck was shipped from the UK with no top like all other 94's, and LRNA added the hard top after it came off the boat. It's not the same as a station wagon top at all. Instead of a swinging door, it has a tailgate and liftgate setup, similar to that of a CJ. I believe it uses the same spare tire rack as the soft top version, and I don't know if the top has interior trim or not in it. As mentioned, they also have the 2-piece doors with the sliding windows. Somebody here has/had a POE truck, and for some reason I think this might be the same truck. I believe there are also some photos of the top setup in the mods or pictures section somewhere

Later SW's were a full station wagon setup from the factory, with swinging rear door and integrated tire carrier in the door, and fully lined top as well as 1 piece doors with roll-down windows.

What was the top on the '97 SW's? Fiberglass or Aluminum? My '94 was converted to a SW before I bought it, and has an aluminum top with sunroof and full headliner and 1-piece doors.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:13 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Sean,

I was going to answer your question about ST and SW but Hans beat me to it.

BTW, I moved from Forest Hills to Rockland County 3 years ago. I used to play rugby (FHRFC) with a few guys from Bayside. How are things over in Queens?
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yes, Hans is right, but what I was saying is that it pretty much looks like an SW... Yes there will be nay-sayers, of course, but it is what it is.

Regardless, I didn't mean to pounce on your newbie-ness... I was there, and still am in a lot of ways. I was just wondering how you could jump around so much from vehicle to vehicle.

Oh, the 97 SW top was aluminum, just like the 95 SW's...

Nicholas

Old February 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Sean,

I was going to answer your question about ST and SW but Hans beat me to it.

BTW, I moved from Forest Hills to Rockland County 3 years ago. I used to play rugby (FHRFC) with a few guys from Bayside. How are things over in Queens?
John C,

That's funny because I used to play Volleyball against the guys in Forrest Hills.

Things are great here in Bayside.

Thanks
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:34 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
It would be worth your while to search the collective board and archive for "POE". It's the third drop down from the right.

One of the more informative posts I recall:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&highlight=POE

Old February 14th, 2005, 03:34 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Yes, Hans is right, but what I was saying is that it pretty much looks like an SW... Yes there will be nay-sayers, of course, but it is what it is.

Regardless, I didn't mean to pounce on your newbie-ness... I was there, and still am in a lot of ways. I was just wondering how you could jump around so much from vehicle to vehicle.

Oh, the 97 SW top was aluminum, just like the 95 SW's...

Nicholas
Thanks Nicholas,

It's not that I want to look elsewhere other than LandRover...started with the Disco in 2000, then moved to the Defender...the only thing is that the fact that I could get a GWagon from the 80's for half the price made me consider it.

So is the main difference other than the top portion, the rear door / windows?

Keep sending me D-90 knowledge.

Sean
Old February 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Just to be clear Sean, the 94 POE is an aluminum hardtop just like later year stationwagons. The rear door is different as stated above, and the rear-most section of the aluminum top is not lined. The portion above the driver and passenger is lined. The doors are standard two-piece sliding glass, and the belt rail snaps are on the sides of the tub.

Now these are rare, and pretty cool for that fact, but only that fact. If you got tired of the SW you already bought and sold, the POE will be no different. In fact the POE offers less in the form of a safari/roll cage and will look much different without the top than a true softtop.

So if you want a soft top buy one. If you want a hard top, buy the POE or another SW like you just sold.

What do you want to do with this 90? Do you want to off-road it or street it?
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:02 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Right on Ron, well put ... I've been jumping on and off my computer all day in meetings... Didn't have a chance to go into it.

To be blunt Sean... GET A SOFT TOP !!! That's the ticket.
I want one, but I'm not selling my 95 D90 SW though... so I've got to wait a bit. Pretty much because of NO ROOM in my house...haha.
In short, you won't get the FULL INTERNAL CAGE in a SW or a POE... You gotta go for the ST !!!
I'm going to track down a blue ST in another year or so, so I feel your 'wanting'.
Don't settle, get what you want, get what YOU like, regardless of how RARE it is.

Nicholas

Old February 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Sean's been down the hurry-up-and-buy-a-90 road before I suppose. You're on the right track now though, ask questions, find out what you really want. Sounds to me like you really want a soft top, not a SW like you just sold, or that cool POE you are looking at. As the owner of a 97 soft top, I can tell you it is the best form of a 90 for me. Nothing like top off motoring or off-roading for a truly good time. Highway trips with that top flapping and rain water leaking in is all worth it one that first spring day when she's backed out of the garage topless!!!
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:55 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

AWESOME Guys!

ST it is...$10K more but hey...

When I get her, I will post it for all the experts who helped me throughout the process.
Old February 14th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Quote:
Highway trips with that top flapping and rain water leaking in is all worth it one that first spring day when she's backed out of the garage topless!!!
Well Put!
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:55 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD-90
AWESOME Guys!

ST it is...$10K more but hey...

When I get her, I will post it for all the experts who helped me throughout the process.

10k ?.... perhaps for some... it's all in the condition/options/etc...

In any case, there are 2 ST's...both RED though... on LRX.com for under $20k... One is $17k & the other is $18.5k.

You could always paint it.

Nicholas

Old February 15th, 2005, 04:48 PM
SeanD-90
Sean Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
10k ?.... perhaps for some... it's all in the condition/options/etc...

In any case, there are 2 ST's...both RED though... on LRX.com for under $20k... One is $17k & the other is $18.5k.

You could always paint it.

Nicholas
Nicholas,

I saw those and called East Coast Rovers about the paint job and they said that it would cost $5K. If you know of any other alternatives please let me know.

Thanks

Sean
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Maaco...$400
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010217.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2556  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, defender 90, ebay, nas