Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:55 PM
goinsurfin
Jayson
06 LR3 HSE

Registry
94 d90. Salvage title and non working odometer

I'm considering a 94 d90 with a salvage title- was lightly rolled and all panels replaced accordingly. the odometer stopped long ago but owner claims it may have approx 120k miles. Engine may need a rebuild and said that should be about 9k to do. Is that the average going rate to rebuild a 3.9? If so id rather consider a rebuilt 300tdi or new 4.6 v8 for that much.
Overall no rust, newer ex moor seats, no AC and paint looks nice. Asking price is close to 30k but based on me reviewing past 94s that sold here I'm thinking to offer $18-20k. Does that sound reasonable???
Sure it might need additional work but the salvage title and unknown miles are a bit concerning. Maybe not though. Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Way high for salvage. I know a clear title 94 for much less.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:12 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I bought a clear titled '94 with 88k miles, no cage, and CLEAR title for significantly less than that.

I'd say your candidate is worth $10k-$12k.

You can get a decent clear titled '94 with that milege for $18-20k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:48 AM
goinsurfin
Jayson
06 LR3 HSE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I bought a clear titled '94 with 88k miles, no cage, and CLEAR title for significantly less than that.

I'd say your candidate is worth $10k-$12k.

You can get a decent clear titled '94 with that milege for $18-20k.
Thanks guys for the direction.
10-12k does sound much better for what it is. But then there is also the engine, do I want to replace that too? Whats the current rate for either a new 4.6 or a rebuilt 200-300tdi installed?
Old June 23rd, 2014, 01:11 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinsurfin View Post
10-12k does sound much better for what it is. But then there is also the engine, do I want to replace that too? Whats the current rate for either a new 4.6 or a rebuilt 200-300tdi installed?
I just sold the good 3.9l with 88k miles out of my D90 for $800.

If you are going to pay a shop to install a Tdi or 4.6, I'd plan on $10k easy, with about half being the cost of the motor and tranny if you go new/rebuilt.

As an example, I bought a complete 300tdi setup and with the rebuild I will be in to it for about $5k. Then another $2k for a brand new Ashcroft R380 tranny, and I opted for a new Ashcroft LT230 tcase for $1300. Then add all the small bits like new clutch, fuel tank, then labor....

Doing all that work to a salvage titled truck you are considering isn't worth it unless you can get it cheap. At the end of the day, it's still a salvaged titled truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:40 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
I'm considering a 94 d90 with a salvage title- was lightly rolled and all panels replaced accordingly. the odometer stopped long ago but owner claims it may have approx 120k miles. Engine may need a rebuild and said that should be about 9k to do. Is that the average going rate to rebuild a 3.9? If so id rather consider a rebuilt 300tdi or new 4.6 v8 for that much.
Overall no rust, newer ex moor seats, no AC and paint looks nice. Asking price is close to 30k but based on me reviewing past 94s that sold here I'm thinking to offer $18-20k. Does that sound reasonable???
Sure it might need additional work but the salvage title and unknown miles are a bit concerning. Maybe not though. Any thoughts? Thanks
Is this the green one?

Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:04 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Expect around $10k... That's what the conversion for a used 4.6L cost the PO of my old Disco I 4.6L

Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:58 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Make sure it is actually a salvage title ... some bought a parts only vehicle, spent a lot of time and effort rebuilding only to 'discover' it couldn't be re-titled at all.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There are salvage Rovers out there that look ok at first glance but on closer inspection have bent chassis, axles, bad power trains wiring etc.
fixable at great expense.
But it's the paperwork for the vehicle that you need to look at first. Can you clean up a salvage title in your state? What about the state it was titled in ?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:50 AM
goinsurfin
Jayson
06 LR3 HSE

Registry
Great advice. It does look clean in pix but I need to get a clearer understanding of the title and inspect it thoroughly.
Owner said it rolled on side and "panels were replaced." Will check the cage, frame and other areas well. I'm in fl and not sure if a salvage title can be transferred over. It's currently titled in Ohio. Anyone here know for sure ?

RE the engine, that seems to be more than what I'd like to "restore" it and get another 10 years out of it. On a clear title- I can see the value in keeping it alive.
Thanks guys, huge help!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:06 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Is this the green one?
x2...
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:13 AM