94 D 90 keep or sell?? advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Dirt
Scott sachtleben
1994 defender90

94 D 90 keep or sell?? advice

bought my first, all original, last Feb. good shape. badger rag top, cage, pretty nice, willing to invest if i can achieve a "reasonable" ride, i.e. less rattles, fewer air leaks, etc. to justify use beyond occasional weekends. suggestions/ideas on how i can find out if i can get there?? cost? thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:10 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt
bought my first, all original, last Feb. good shape. badger rag top, cage, pretty nice, willing to invest if i can achieve a "reasonable" ride, i.e. less rattles, fewer air leaks, etc. to justify use beyond occasional weekends. suggestions/ideas on how i can find out if i can get there?? cost? thanks!!
What's unreasonable about the ride? Just tackle each rattle one at a time - tire carrier, seat bases, etc.

Which badger top? With gutter kit? If so, then do this to help further secure the top.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...6&postcount=49

Also, get a drop curtain (both top and bottom) from Badger for the winter time. Also, air tends to come in from the top passenger corner of the rear window above the rear door - you can usually seal that up a little better with some work.

Also consider or check the condition of the door seals and the front bulkhead vents - get the Series vent seals if needed.

Soft top door tops - JimC on here had a good write-up on how to pitch the tops of those in a little at the top so that they seal better. Search is your friend.

Consider also buying Station Wagon roll-up doors.

It's a Defender, not a G-wagon.
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Dirt
Scott sachtleben
1994 defender90

tonneau badger top, with gutter kit, but bed canvas is torn. thinking about a replacement top. perhaps full top, canvas or hard?? best for all around air leaks and rattles? if you have a moment, could you give me a little more detail on the roll up windows? do they bolt on the doors to replace the sliders? better leak coverage? thanks for advice on seals, etc. thoughts on noise dampering, i.e. under hood, fireway, floor, etc.? thanks again. !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2012, 12:15 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
best for all around air leaks and rattles?
Not sure what you mean here. You have no idea what is rattling?! Seat bases usually rattle as do tire carriers, so start with them for potential sources of your rattle.

Quote:
if you have a moment, could you give me a little more detail on the roll up windows? do they bolt on the doors to replace the sliders? better leak coverage?
They replace the entire door. Look at any station wagon Defender 90 - those full doors are what I'm talking about - SafariHP and others sell new replacements and there are a few for sale in the For Sale section.

Quote:
thoughts on noise dampering, i.e. under hood, fireway, floor, etc.? thanks again. !
some swear by Dynamat and I think some sort of roof liner or something from Home Depot. Plus go over to the Defender Technical Discussions section and the very first post there right now is about the rubber mat systems sold by Exmoor and others, and their ability to reduce noise...

Search is your friend.
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Dirt
Scott sachtleben
1994 defender90

thanks. yes, primary rattle is windows. one other question as i'm aggravating everyone..the truck rides nice but gets the shakes at about 60mph. it also leans right to left easily, as if the suspension is soft. assuming alignment and wheel balance first step in the 'shakes', but wondering if that really is about all it will produce at highway speed safely. also wondering about suspension. thanks again.
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Garrison Outfitters for the window felt. There are a few threads on here regarding them, as well as a thread on installing them. It's fairly easy - I did mine = no more soft top door window rattles.

Shakes could be anything as simple as balance and alignment to bushings on Panhard needing replaced to other bushings needing replaced to bearings needing replaced, to swivel pin preload adjustment being needed with a fish scale, etc. Best to start with the easy/cheap stuff and work back from there.
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

Full doors, best thing I have ever done with the 90. Night and day dif.
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I would get rid of it and sell it to me.

Or sell it and buy a SW.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Not sure if you are a Defender fan or a Land Rover fan.
If the latter, sell and buy a D2 or similar.
If the former, it's possibly time for bushings, some simple Bilsteins and a little leak proofing.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, advice, d 90