Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:16 PM
jmorton
Jon
None

94 d 90 # 2699

Hey All,

I have wanted a D90 for a long time but have never actually pulled the trigger. The other day I passed a 94 Red D 90 # 2699 for sale. The truck has 108k miles and they are asking $27k. It has the hard top and a really rough shape soft top. Does any one have history on this particular vehicle? The condition overall is pretty good, I didn't see any rust on a quick inspection. The biggest issue I saw is that the red paint is pretty faded.

What else do I need to be thinking about?

Thanks!

------ Follow up post added May 5th, 2013 10:20 PM ------

Picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:21 PM
jmorton
Jon
None

Picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-226051362.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	664.1 KB
ID:	71601   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1260051096.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	71602  

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

So many issues not sure where to start.

Flares cut.
Multicolor hard top.
Diamond plate literally everywhere.
Holes cut in hood.

Run away.

You sure it is a 94? It has 95 lights front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2013, 12:03 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
So many issues not sure where to start.

Flares cut.
Multicolor hard top.
Diamond plate literally everywhere.
Holes cut in hood.

Run away.

You sure it is a 94? It has 95 lights front and rear.
Yeah, for $27k you should be able to find something nicer than that, might have to look around outside PNW, i know used SUV's get expensive up there.
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Here is the listing from LRFAQ

SALDV2282SA965062 '95 #2699 Portofino Red ARB Air lockers (F&R), PIAA 1200's, Hella 2000 (4), OEM wrap around brush bar, GPS, 285/75 BFG MT tires, CB, British Pacific front skid plate, Proximity alarm, OEM nerf bars, Optima battery

Has they removed that gear. Owner must be cheap. Masking tape to create a for sale sign?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:43 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Before you go running for the hills, what are you looking for out of this truck. If the mods listed above are included and you are looking for a truck that will see a mix of asphalt and dirt then it may not be as bad you think. However, if you are looking for a beach or mall cruiser the I agree you should look elsewhere. That being said, there are some things (as others pointed out) that you should make sure you have an understanding of why the PO did them. The diamond plate for example, was it installed for protection, looks or because there is a bunch of rust and dents behind it!
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
What's with the holes in the hood?

Ha

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:43 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbo View Post

Ha
for extra cooling .... was quite a common mod .... personally i'd prefer to fix the cooling issues ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbo View Post

Ha
Or as Homer Simpson would say, they are speed holes:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

For 27 you should be able to get a real nice 94 or 95.

Holes in the hood would make me think that it had or had overheating issues in the past.

If you wanted to remove the plate on it that would cost big $$$$ to do a proper job and who knows what you will find under there when you pull it off. (Doubt rust since it is alum under there but maybe dents)

Hardtop is not such a deal killler for me, you would always have the sides and liftgate painted to match the red on the truck and it would look better or have the top sprayed black.

This is just the stuff we can see and with the bad choices that have been made on the outside I would hate to see what was done in other areas.
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:34 PM
jmorton
Jon
None

Thanks everyone. You all picked up on some key issues that I didn't when I spent 10 min looking over the truck.

Ill keep looking.
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Glad I saw the diamond plating on the rear panels. I was thinking about doing that on mine, but looks like Fido's ass to me. The cut down flares look horrible too...

Seems overpriced to me since he hacked it up so much.
Old May 20th, 2013, 04:23 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post
Hey All,

I have wanted a D90 for a long time but have never actually pulled the trigger. The other day I passed a 94 Red D 90 # 2699 for sale. The truck has 108k miles and they are asking $27k. It has the hard top and a really rough shape soft top. Does any one have history on this particular vehicle? The condition overall is pretty good, I didn't see any rust on a quick inspection. The biggest issue I saw is that the red paint is pretty faded.

What else do I need to be thinking about?

Thanks!

------ Follow up post added May 5th, 2013 10:20 PM ------

Picture
Now on eBay. Currently bid up to $17,100. No mention of why basically the entire truck has been covered in diamond plate aside from him saying it was powdercoated black...

bettermango ( Feedback Score Of 20)

SALDV2282SA965062

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...bc0f4b15#v4-41

I have owned this truck for the past 10 years and loved her dearly. It has 108,000 miles and has been kept in a garage. I have never done any serious off roading in it. Lots of camping and some dirt road access. It has normal wear and tear of a 17+ year old truck - but no rotting or rusting anywhere. some TLC needed at seat corners and around edges of seat bases. Back seat is perfect. It spent most of its years in San Diego and Portland for the last 2. It was serviced by The Rover Group in San Diego - since has changed name to The British Garage. As you can tell by the photos all diamond plating has been powder coated black. The factory LR wheels also have been powder coated black. There is a bimini top included with purchase, also the tonneau cover (never used) in addition to the POE fiberglass hardtop and happily can throw in the soft top i used. It has no windows and some patches. In addition to regular 3000 mile oil changes and factory recommended fluids here is a list of what has been done:

April 2010
Rebuild and reseal transfer case
Headgasket and Valve job
replaced water pump, alt, and power steering belts
replaced battery terminals and wiring

Had POE Fiberglass roof - rhino lined
replaced both cats
replaced window squirter

April 2009
Replaced steering ball joints and pitman arm
Replaced speed transducer
Replace cable from T-Box to transducer
Replaced Idle Air control valve
Replaced motor mounts
Replaced rear drive U Joints
Rebuilt Drive Shaft
Diff/Trans oil replacement
Replace all Brake pads and rotors
Repack wheel bearings

February 2007
Replaced Ignition coil

November 2004
Replaced Tuffy center console

I have the detailed service records for all described.

This has been a great vehicle for me over the years and now its time for someone else to enjoy.

I reserve the right to end the auction early as I have it for sale locally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2699 diamond plate special 1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	72685   Click image for larger version

Name:	2699 diamond plate special 2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	72686  

Name:	2699 diamond plate special 3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	72687   Click image for larger version

Name:	2699 diamond plate special 4.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	72688  

Name:	2699 diamond plate special 5.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	72689  
Old December 17th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Soon2Be1
Brandon Chapelo
None

Update for #2699

So this is my first post. I joined to find more about the vehicles as I am very interested in getting a Defender. I'll search around and I am sure I will find good info.

Here is an update for 2699.

The below link is to the dealers site selling the vehicle. My concerns are the vehicle has been painted and "has a newly built engine" but with information I found on this forum this may be pretty beat and concerns are about the mileage. Of the guy was asking 27k and the new owner bought and just painted, why is the odometer still at 108?

http://www.landmarkmotors.com/used-c...Model_~Year_/1

Any thought? Worth even $40k?

Thanks!
Old December 17th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I wouldn't offer $20k for it. Look at that picture of the door hinge. They just painted over everything and you can see a little red showing through in the corner. Horrible. That's not a restoration. It's a cover up. They could have just buffed it. At least then it'd be original.
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:02 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Holy 5-bar Batman! Had to be said. Sorry! But in all seriousness, I may be one of the least qualified to weigh in on quality and potential real value, but as an owner for 6 yrs. I am at least qualified to say this; there is way too 5-bar on that truck, some of which serves no purpose other than concealment. The rivets are easy to drill out and replace for the purpose of rust/rot inspection. Do it if you're seriously considering buying it. Wings, rear quarter panels, and the rocker are all that you would normally see. Maybe the previous owner (PO) was afraid of gas station attendant spilling on his paint and over-clad the fuel area. Then he matches the opposite side for symmetry. But the tailgate and back panel are suspicious and I can guarantee you that if you pull one section of 5-bar it should be the panels above the rocker. Door bottoms are notorious for rust and I have never seen a single defender with 5-bar above the rocker. I can't believe that it was installed to armor the door against opening into other objects or dings. Also, the seller is giving you pretty pictures. Not money shots. And it is a pretty truck! Nice paint job. You'll learn that mileage isn't as important as condition and maintenance as long as it's not a sub 50k mile truck. These "money shots" (as we refer to them) are undercarriage pics of the rear crossmember, outriggers, door sills, frame... Hell, anything that isn't black under the truck. Research this site for more pointers. These guys are amazing. Both knowledgable and extremely helpful to honest people, owners, and potential owners. If you've got the Defender bug, you are welcome here. Good luck with everything. Just my two cents.
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:13 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I'd pass on that one, Wow!
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Probably lots of galvanic corrosion.
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:22 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Maybe they flatbeded it to the paint shop. Just get documents verifying mileage since the last owner and the engine build, drill the rivets out for inspection (bring a rivet gun and an assortment of aluminum rivets for repairs), and if everything checks out, offer them what you think is fair. Someone spent a lot of money gussying it up. I though the seat boxes were rhino lined (another potential cover up) but I see now that the tunnel cover has a seam and it looks like some kind of fabric. All of that is usually rubber. Either way, it can be lifted for inspection. Footwells (kick panels) are key. I'd take the under on $30k
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:50 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
It's good to see when potential buyers do a little research and can find our conversations here. May save him from making a purchasing mistake, or paying far too much.

Now, onto value. I wouldn't pay $48k for that truck, I wouldn't pay $40k, I wouldn't pay $30k for it either - some people in your area may pay $30k or a little north of that but I don't believe many will be lining up for it with all of that 5 bar plating in spaces I've never seen before. That paint job doesn't add any value either in my opinion. They'll have to be lucky to find someone in order to sell it at their price, and may use that "paint job" as an excuse for how much (little) they've put into the vehicle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags