Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
'84 LR 90's Vs NAS Defender 90's

Anyone foresee a crash in the NAS Defender market once these '84 LR 90's start flooding the states next year?

I have a pristine '94 and am afraid to do any serious wheeling in it for fear of damage. I was thinking about selling it and picking an '84 for a lot less. I bet I could buy and trick out an '84 for half the value of an NAS, and have money left over to trick out the shop!!! (tubing bender!!!!)

Any thoughts?

Seriously thinking of selling the 90 in favor of an '84 110 if Doug ever gets back to me (hint hint)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No, the values aren't going to tank. They're not going to be affected in the least bit. Don't mistake that with the fact that trucks are getting older and don't command the same silly premiums that they used to.

Ultimately, NAS will be NAS, everything else will be everything else. Wheel your truck if you want. If you want to tear something up, then sure, get something cheaper to tear up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Has the value of the NAS 110's been affected by the intro of the '83's?

No.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
All that I have seen happen so far is more enthusiasts now have 110's and are using them. I think the same will happen with the 84 90's. Guys that couldn't afford the NAS trucks will now have a 90 or 110's to wheel.

Just me 2c

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I didnt think the Ninety was introduced until 1986? Were they offered in '84?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
I didnt think the Ninety was introduced until 1986? Were they offered in '84?

I think that the nice NAS 90's will retain / gain value but I think ratty, rusty or wrecked 90's might drop in value some since most people that buy them are looking to build an offroader, swap vins or do a complete rebuild and all 3 can be accomplished with an older 90 / 110.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand

No.
Not at all. NAS 110 values continue to climb (from what I see here, and low miles NAS 90s are still going up, although mid and high miles values have come down slightly on 90s IMO)

Its 2 totally different customers. Same thing will happen with the NAS 90s.
Not one of my NAS 110 clients would want or purchase in a stock 1983 110.
On the flip side a customer of mine who has wanted a 110 for 10 years or so just bought a 1983 we brought in.

The older early trucks open up a new market for those who can not afford the NAS versions (and that is a good thing as it allows more people to have fun with 110s) but the NAS values will not change because the older trucks are allowed in.

They satisfy different ends of the market, but will not cross over causing a drop in NAS 110 values (or 90 values).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
but I think ratty, rusty or wrecked 90's might drop in value some since most people that buy them are looking to build an offroader, swap vins or do a complete rebuild and all 3 can be accomplished with an older 90 / 110.
I agree 110%
We already have a couple of radical 110 projects on the books that will be starting life as 1983 and 1984 110s instead of having to pony up 35-40K for a beater donor NAS 110. Wise move on the customer's part and an option we always present to the customer now.
I'm building a 130 now, and you guessed it... it started life as a pretty ratty 1983 110.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

What price range will the '84 90's look like? Are there that many LHD's available? Are they being bought up now and just waiting to get shipped?
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand

No.
it's only been 10 months, I was talking long term. I wasn't expecting my d90 to drop in value 1 jan 2009!

Semper Fi!
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

About face

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!
come on, let's hear it!

Semper Fi!
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I totally agree with Mike. While some people are interested in ponying up for a NAS 110, that's not the 110 I wanted! While they're neat trucks, other 110s are a better fit for a different slice of the market. It's not always an issue of affordability. I wanted a RHD, split door Aussie spec Tdi, not a NAS rig. Drive what makes you happy. More 110s or 90s is better for more people, that's cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Its 2 totally different customers. Same thing will happen with the NAS 90s.
Not one of my NAS 110 clients would want or purchase in a stock 1983 110.
On the flip side a customer of mine who has wanted a 110 for 10 years or so just bought a 1983 we brought in.

The older early trucks open up a new market for those who can not afford the NAS versions (and that is a good thing as it allows more people to have fun with 110s) but the NAS values will not change because the older trucks are allowed in.

They satisfy different ends of the market, but will not cross over causing a drop in NAS 110 values (or 90 values).
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

I agree with what people have posted assuming they mean for the short term. However, in 15-30 years I think the market will be affected by importation. There will always be some people that care whether the Defender was an original NAS truck but the majority will not care or won't even understand. When there are a more significant number of legally imported trucks floating around the US that are not limited to 1983-1984 models, NAS trucks (I think) will no longer command the same premium.

In 2025 when a potential buyer can buy a legally imported 1998 110 or a NAS 1993 110, will he pay ~$30k-$50k more for the older NAS? I doubt it.

I hope this leads to a company like ECR being able being able to expand thier business and do more work while still maintaining their quality. Mike already stated that he has started importing and working on imported trucks, a wise move that was inevitable as supplies of surviving NAS trucks that ECR has not restored will eventually dwindle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, defender 90, nas