Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 11th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Sly tuna
Sly
Series 2

68 Series II SWB - new guy on the block

Hey guys,

Been a long time Datsun guy, probably had over 10 of them. Anyways, I'm intrigued by the old series rovers and My buddy that lives in Central America is selling his LHD, gas, 68', SWB. The truck is in real good shape with minimal bumps and bruises. My main question is what should I expect to be paying at North American prices? I'll probably end up driving it back to California soon.

Here are some pics to help! Any information is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2016, 05:11 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
First things first that pic is not a Rover. To your question. Are you asking what you could expect to pay for a good decent Rover here stateside? Good luck sounds like fun driving a Rover from CA to CA.

Edit- what the! Picture was of a Datsun a minute ago. Lol! Assuming good steel and minimal corrosion something like that could be anywhere from a conservative $10k on up. Does it have overdrive, Kodak heater (probably no heater), headliner? These are all things that can help value.

Be careful. These things tend to multiply like rabbits.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Sly tuna
Sly
Series 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
First things first that pic is not a Rover. To your question. Are you asking what you could expect to pay for a good decent Rover here stateside? Good luck sounds like fun driving a Rover from CA to CA.

Edit- what the! Picture was of a Datsun a minute ago. Lol! Assuming good steel and minimal corrosion something like that could be anywhere from a conservative $10k on up. Does it have overdrive, Kodak heater (probably no heater), headliner? These are all things that can help value.
Sorry I'm on my iPad and accidentally copy pasted the wrong url.

Corrosion is very minimal and I'll entertain the rest. I just want to justify the selling price with importation fees, driving, time, etc.

Truck is really sweet though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2016, 05:34 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
How much does your friend want? Looks like fun.
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:35 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
That flooring would make me pause. Is it a repair? Or is it covering something? Or did they misplace the original panels and fab'd that up? Definitely look into that.

No heater. Not unusual for southern trucks. A little strange that they painted the bonnet tire mount. Should really be galvy.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Truck looks pretty nice and I really am a sucker for a pickup cab.

Things to check:

Chassis Rust (outriggers, cross members, frame horns, etc.)
Bulkhead Rust
Gearbox shifting well and not popping out of gear.
Motor runs well and has good compression
Check the door frames for rust.
Take a look at the underside while you are looking (or someone is taking pictures) and look at the swivel balls for pitting, check out the suspension and the general condition of everything underneath.

From the few pictures you provided it looks nice. Someone has obviously re-sprayed both the inside and out and taken some liberty's with the colors.

The truck does not have and is not set up for a heater.......this would suck, but can be added later. The truck is also missing an OD........this is easily added later, but would make that long trip you mention a horrible experience. I am not quite sure what is going on with the air cleaner, but it is not where is should be. Get some more pictures and see what is going on in there.

Assuming everything is in good order, that truck could have a value all over the board. Several years ago, that truck would of probably been in the $10-$12 range. I would say in today's market it would be in the mid to upper teens.

Good luck, I love the pickup top and deep sills........IIA's are only going up in value, so I think it would make for a smart buy if it all checks out.
Old April 11th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Sly tuna
Sly
Series 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Truck looks pretty nice and I really am a sucker for a pickup cab.

Things to check:

Chassis Rust (outriggers, cross members, frame horns, etc.)
Bulkhead Rust
Gearbox shifting well and not popping out of gear.
Motor runs well and has good compression
Check the door frames for rust.
Take a look at the underside while you are looking (or someone is taking pictures) and look at the swivel balls for pitting, check out the suspension and the general condition of everything underneath.

From the few pictures you provided it looks nice. Someone has obviously re-sprayed both the inside and out and taken some liberty's with the colors.

The truck does not have and is not set up for a heater.......this would suck, but can be added later. The truck is also missing an OD........this is easily added later, but would make that long trip you mention a horrible experience. I am not quite sure what is going on with the air cleaner, but it is not where is should be. Get some more pictures and see what is going on in there.

Assuming everything is in good order, that truck could have a value all over the board. Several years ago, that truck would of probably been in the $10-$12 range. I would say in today's market it would be in the mid to upper teens.

Good luck, I love the pickup top and deep sills........IIA's are only going up in value, so I think it would make for a smart buy if it all checks out.

Just the response I was looking for ! Thanks for the useful post, I'm actually in Central America at the moment and will see it in person within the next couple days. He has O/D but is not willing to part with it. I will look at those problem areas a little closer and go from there
Old April 11th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Drool. So much want!
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:29 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Truck looks pretty nice and I really am a sucker for a pickup cab. Things to check: Chassis Rust (outriggers, cross members, frame horns, etc.) Bulkhead Rust Gearbox shifting well and not popping out of gear. Motor runs well and has good compression Check the door frames for rust. Take a look at the underside while you are looking (or someone is taking pictures) and look at the swivel balls for pitting, check out the suspension and the general condition of everything underneath. From the few pictures you provided it looks nice. Someone has obviously re-sprayed both the inside and out and taken some liberty's with the colors. The truck does not have and is not set up for a heater.......this would suck, but can be added later. The truck is also missing an OD........this is easily added later, but would make that long trip you mention a horrible experience. I am not quite sure what is going on with the air cleaner, but it is not where is should be. Get some more pictures and see what is going on in there. Assuming everything is in good order, that truck could have a value all over the board. Several years ago, that truck would of probably been in the $10-$12 range. I would say in today's market it would be in the mid to upper teens. Good luck, I love the pickup top and deep sills........IIA's are only going up in value, so I think it would make for a smart buy if it all checks out.
I'm with contractor, 14-17k
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I would be extra diligent looking for rust due to the fact that if it has spent time running up and down the beach checking for the best break then it has spent time in the oceans salty grasp and rust will ensue at an accelerated rate.
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:02 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
How did that aircleaner wander to the other side ?
Old April 12th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
My take...It's not any paragon of virtue. It is certainly cool and nice looking on the outside, but some of the mods that have been carried out appear hastily done, such as the floor mats and the air cleaner. Not to mention what looks like some very non-stock wiring under the hood. When I see stuff like that, I always wonder what else they did hastily that isn't visible. That said, none of the issues are deal breakers, and it is nice that someone at least made an effort to keep it running despite not having the means or desire to fix things "properly." It probably makes a nice rig for tooling around CR but if you are planning to drive it home you should go through it yourself and make sure its in reasonable condition to make the trip, single-circuit brakes and all. Based on the photos and assuming it doesn't have any major rot-through issues and that it has decent tires, decent compression, runs, drives, shifts, stops, and turns ok (I know that's a tall order there) that it would be a good value at $8-12k landed on US soil. Less in its current locale. It could see the suggested 14-17k or possibly a bit more if some of those funky repairs were sorted out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old May 1st, 2016, 01:12 PM
Sly tuna
Sly
Series 2

More pics

Hey guys, I was away for some time, I was able to capture a couple more pictures for you. The ball is still in my court. Yes, the entire electrical system was redone. Also, does that passenger floorboard look right?

Old May 1st, 2016, 01:53 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
So they painted everything green at some point. Annoying but not a deal killer. It has a cut off station wagon door as a tailgate. Again, weird but not bad.
The fact that it is a 2A, runs and drives and has pretty much all its parts puts it a cut above everything else. I'd buy it. Sort out the issues later, cz there won't be another one like this come along for a very very long time

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
series