6 State Road Trip---Trailer Pick Up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 20th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

6 State Road Trip---Trailer Pick Up

For those that followed my "West Nile Virus" saga, I am doing much better. I have a lot more strength than last year after getting out of the hospital and am able to wrench a bit and lay on my back for short periods, although I still have to sleep with a machine (Bilaterial diaphragmatic paralysis) and I have some nerve damage that still manifests itself in my arms and muscles. Which means that typical primitive camping is a bit hard and I decided to buy a trailer. I was going to build one, but the costs and time constraints right now while summer is just around the corner caused me to change directions.

So I bought a Fleetwood Neon in Decatur Illinois. Sight unseen, but at what I considered a reasonable price and the wife and I have been ebay'n stuff to scratch it together enough for it and gas. I just installed a hitch, brake controller and trailer wiring so we are all set to leave on Thursday night. Yes, in the D90... 1000 miles each way... Oh the comfort!

Our plan is to drive straight through, leaving Thursday night, driving through kansas, Missouri, and into Illinois on US70, passing through Kansas City and Springfield. Hopefully we will pick up the trailer on Friday evening then make a more relaxed journey to Lake McConaughy in Nebraska over a couple days driving through Illinois-Missouri-Iowa-Nebraska, starting on HWY36 and finishing on Hwy80

The Fleetwood Neon is a tiny pop up--pretty sought after in the offroading crowd because of it's light weight. No amenities to speak of, but it will allow me to figure out my breathing crap and whatnot. It weighs under 1000 lbs, so perfect with the D90, plus it has electric brakes which will be great when off roading and going down stuff.

Once back, and as money allows, I will be swapping the axle with a stronger one (also with electric brakes) putting on some hub adapters for Rover wheels, doing some longer, more cush leaf springs (to protect beer from foaming), and slapping on some 255/85/16 tires. Gonna make a great off roader. These are not "my" picks--those will come, but this is the trailer and what I am intending (but I will add fenders....)

If anyone has any good suggestions for stopping for breaks or for spending an over night somewhere along 36 in Illinois or 80 in Iowa/nebraska before getting to Ogallala, please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850a.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	95434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0256sm.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	95435  

Name:	IMG_0038.gif
Views:	110
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	95436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	95437  

Name:	IMG00021.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	95438  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Great find! I am actually looking for one. I passed on one a couple of years ago and have been kicking myself since. It is an awsome camper for a Defender. Good luck, keep us up dated and glad you are feeling better.

Raub
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:45 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Before Ogalala which direction?

I'm here in Des Moines if you need anything...PM sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks, Keith! I am thinking we would go west on 36, which would be south of you--but we have another friend in Des Moines so if we head up that way, we will look you up, possibly grab a beer :-)
Old May 29th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Well it was a great road trip--no issues other than my windshield wiper arm flew off on the freeway during a rain storm. The new silblades seem to "grip" the windshield and temporarily snag on the glass and I think this made them work their way off. Retrieved it and all is good. A lot of driving---I didn't add up my gas bill but it is probably in the $600+ range... When going 80-85 we only would get about 10.5 MPG or we could cruise at 65-70 and get about 13.5, which is what I tried to do most the time. The trailer didn't impact driving or gas mileage much at all---just the speed we traveled.

I was pleasantly pleased with it's condition. A bit of surface frame rust and that was really it. I did find a 3" tear in one of the screens... already sewed it up. Great deal as far as both my wife and I are concerned. Drove straight from Colorado to Decatur Illinois--with meals and gas, it took about 15 hours. Picked up the trailer and then drove an hour to a KOA outside of Springfield IL and camped. It was awesome. Then drove 13 hours to Lake McConaughy in Nebraska and camped on the beach. Now back home. Perfect trailer for us--now I just need to plan the modifications. The #1 thing that I will do is add new tires/rims to match what we use on the 90 so I can share the spare tire. I have two options--I have already cut the ends off a rover axle, so I can weld a tube on them and make my own axle, add calipers and a hydro-electric brake system, or I can swap in an electric axle, probably 3500lb Dexter, add wheel adapters, and call that good. The rover axle would be great because I would share hubs, but hyrdaulic electric actuators are expensive and it would end up costing more to do it that way. Do I need brakes? Well, I am all set up to have them now (and it came with brakes) but they are not necessary on the road with the weight of this trailer at all. However, off roading with it pushing down on some more aggressive trails, I have been told that I would want them, so I am going to keep/add them.

I need to paint the chassis, add a few structural tweaks, and once I lift it, I will need to figure out what to do with the stabilizers as the ones I have will be too short. I will also need to modify a step since it will become too high. I'll be adding power somehow---probably batteries/solar, but might consider a generator. Right now, I need to start selling things I don't use and grab some side work to pay for the mods... So I have a little time to figure things out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-05-23 13.10.48.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	95907   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-25 10.21.44.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	95908  

Name:	2014-05-25 10.21.06.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	95909  
Old May 29th, 2014, 09:22 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You prolly don't need brakes, so what I'd be caught doing is bolting an adapter plate to the existing axle and then a Rover stub axle and hub onto the plate.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 29th, 2014, 09:32 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Given the very low cost of trailer axles, I would just buy one with brakes all set up the way you want (width is critical) and fit wheel adapters.
Old May 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Looks good Chris, Are you going to beef up the frame? I had a axle made up and fitted adapters and has been good so far 6x1800 miles trips fully loaded and not really seeing I need brakes.

Glad to see you up and about more.

Take Care,

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old May 30th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The frame is decent, but definitely not built for rock crawling. At the minimum, I will gusset the frame which I am planning to do before I repaint it, and add some structure to the front triangle where I will add some attachments (battery/propane/tongue box/cooler... haven't worked all that out yet). I might run a center section to the first or second cross member which would help strengthen the overall frame quite a bit, but I haven't worked that out yet and can't until I figure out what I am going to do with the tongue as a whole. I will also redo how the axles/springs attach when i swap the axle--that isn't up to what any of us would consider acceptable. But overall, it is fairly solid and I think added gussets would be all I would really need and I will be spending time this weekend coming up with a game plan to that effect.

Eventually, I could see myself welding a new frame and either transferring the box over to the new frame or welding the old frame onto the new frame (doubt I will do that as aesthetically it isn't really my style), but that is for a different time--maybe winter. Since I was all set to build a trailer from scratch, I have a lot of the leg work already done on frame designs--I would just need to buy the steel, but honestly I have other projects to attend to first....

As for brakes, I am heavily leaning toward keeping them. When I went to pick up the trailer, I installed a 7-pin trailer connector and I installed a brake controller so the D90 is already set up for it as is the trailer. I know I don't need them at this weight, but that doesn't mean they don't add benefit, including benefit for braking in the wet or snow conditions under hard braking. I do think it will also add to tracking when braking off road going down steep slopes like in Moab and Colorado as I do plan to take this off road once properly modified.
Old May 30th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Looks good...I like the learner ongoing project stuff...keeps the mind turning in a good direction!
Old May 30th, 2014, 11:57 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Great looking setup!

Real glad to hear you are doing better. I remember reading about the West Nile stuff you went thru so very awesome you are doing things like this. A 1,000 mile trip in a Defender and camping is hardcore for most people so that virus doesn't seem to slow you down!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
trip