Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 10th, 2017, 06:16 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

4x4 Rental in Namibia?

Hi Guys,

My wife and I are planning our next trip to sub-Saharan Africa. This time I think we will be flying into the Windhoek airport in Namibia and leaving 20 some days later from O.R. Tambo airport in Johannesburg South Africa. Planning to travel the Skeleton Coast, more of the Kalahari (especially in Botswana) and a few parks in South Africa to name a few. Lots or 2 track time and every night in a tent.

I know of Britz and Bushlore and have used them before. I've found Namibia 4x4 Rental.

Does anyone have any connections that could provide an outfitted 4x4 over there? Please share your recommendation for any of the companies renting 4x4s or if you have any friends or your own that you'd like to rent? As well as any must sees/dos in Namibia. It's a new country to us!

Thank you!
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Get in touch with Chris Murphy-Helobubba that posted on your SA badge thread, His brother and sister in law live in Windhoek and he had me ship/import two well kitted 110's for him from there. They should know what's avialable to you in the Windhoek area.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 10th, 2017, 07:54 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

We have used a company called safari drive
Safaridrive.com. They rent defenders and land cruisers all over southern Africa including Namibia and South Africa. They also handle logistics for lodge and campsite reservations. Kind of spendy but when we went to Tanzania we ran across a couple of groups who were trying to do everything on their own and were so frustrated that they were giving up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Ya can't get to Tanzania from Namibia! Everyone knows that!
Old December 11th, 2017, 02:49 AM
worldofinflation
Z
1995 Defender 110 TDI

We wild-camped for a month in Namibia. You can read about it here:

Sir, you can’t tent here | Broke With Hats

Highly recommend the Skeleton Coast and Damaraland.

Personally, If I didn't have my own truck, I'd shell out the dough for a proper-well insured company like Bushlore. Only downside is you get that silly sticker on the door of your truck.
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:19 AM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry

https://www.ascocarhire.com

Old December 11th, 2017, 04:06 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

we are going back over in March, picking up a safari drive rig in Zambia at livingstone, driving across nothern botswana and then spending time in namibia before we end up in windhoek. i'll post a trip report next spring
Old December 13th, 2017, 07:05 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfisher View Post
we are going back over in March, picking up a safari drive rig in Zambia at livingstone, driving across nothern botswana and then spending time in namibia before we end up in windhoek. i'll post a trip report next spring
That's great Robert! I think we are going to stick to Central and southern Botswana. We couldn't get into CKGR this past March due to the heavy rains, but we did manage to make it through Kgalagadi and it was incredible! We still want to cross the CKGR. Then we'll be spending a lot of time in Namibia too, but we're starting there and ending in SA. Safe travels!

------ Follow up post added December 13th, 2017 06:07 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX6RCROL View Post
Thanks! I sent an enquiry. They look to be as reasonable as Safari Car hire.

------ Follow up post added December 13th, 2017 06:11 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofinflation View Post
We wild-camped for a month in Namibia. You can read about it here:

Sir, you canít tent here | Broke With Hats

Highly recommend the Skeleton Coast and Damaraland.

Personally, If I didn't have my own truck, I'd shell out the dough for a proper-well insured company like Bushlore. Only downside is you get that silly sticker on the door of your truck.
Thanks Z! Bushlore is pretty good, but some of their rigs and equipment are fairly used which I don't mind, but looking for something better and cheaper if possible. Safari Car Hire seems to be the ticket but of course they're booked. I know enough about the coast to check it out but I'll have to look into Damaraland. Thanks!
Old December 13th, 2017, 07:19 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Get in touch with Chris Murphy-Helobubba that posted on your SA badge thread, His brother and sister in law live in Windhoek and he had me ship/import two well kitted 110's for him from there. They should know what's avialable to you in the Windhoek area.
Hey Doug! That's great that you were able to get them imported from Africa! I've thought about doing the same thing so I'll have to contact you if I find one and want to bring it over. I wouldn't mind spending a day or two sourcing a Rover or Toyota troopie while I'm over there.
Old December 14th, 2017, 02:39 AM
worldofinflation
Z
1995 Defender 110 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
That's great Robert! I think we are going to stick to Central and southern Botswana. We couldn't get into CKGR this past March due to the heavy rains, but we did manage to make it through Kgalagadi and it was incredible! We still want to cross the CKGR. Then we'll be spending a lot of time in Namibia too, but we're starting there and ending in SA. Safe travels!

------ Follow up post added December 13th, 2017 06:07 PM ------

Thanks! I sent an enquiry. They look to be as reasonable as Safari Car hire.

------ Follow up post added December 13th, 2017 06:11 PM ------

Thanks Z! Bushlore is pretty good, but some of their rigs and equipment are fairly used which I don't mind, but looking for something better and cheaper if possible. Safari Car Hire seems to be the ticket but of course they're booked. I know enough about the coast to check it out but I'll have to look into Damaraland. Thanks!
The main challenge with truck rentals in Nam is insurance is so expensive (for the rental companies). There's an absurd amount of road accidents in Namibia. Mainly from international tourists who underestimate desert roads.
Old December 14th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Jonesy
Craig
NADA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Ya can't get to Tanzania from Namibia! Everyone knows that!
Unless you go through Uganda! LMAO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
4x4