4-piece fly rod advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 29th, 2016, 06:35 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

4-piece fly rod advice

Looking for a reasonably priced 4-piece 5 wt. I see there's a newish-to-the-market Douglas DXF that's in a nice length for Vermont waters: 9'

Wondering if anyone has any experience with it - or has a preference for something else?

Thanks.

- Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2016, 06:55 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Frank, Yellowstone Angler does an outstanding job of reviewing rods.

I bought a Hardy Zenith rod a few years back after it won their shootout, and the 2016 5 weight shootout happens to include the rod you're looking at, among many others.

Rod-feel really comes down to personal preference, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who's had experience casting as many different rods across various price points as these guys do in their annual shootout.

For what it's worth, I also left my Hardy at home last year and took my girlfriend's Echo Carbon to Wyoming and really enjoyed it. I think it's a great performer at a price cheaper than just about anything going right now. If you're looking for something you won't be afraid to travel with, it's tough to beat!
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:10 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
'Reasonable' is very relative in the fly fishing world...

How much are you looking to spend?
Also, what action are you interested in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2016, 07:23 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Moderate; say... $300.00. I'm intrigued by Chris' suggestion about the Echo Carbon. Will do some reading about it tonight. It's intended to be an infrequent friend - but one I'd wish I had along with me yesterday.
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:32 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlandrover View Post
Moderate; say... $300.00. I'm intrigued by Chris' suggestion about the Echo Carbon. Will do some reading about it tonight. It's intended to be an infrequent friend - but one I'd wish I had along with me yesterday.

You know, at that price, one of my best fishing friends has a TFO BVK that will absolutely cast circles around anything in my hands when we're on the water. I'd never give him the credit for that kind of casting, so I have to assume that's a great rod for the money. I also own a TFO Signature Series rod that is a bit of a brute, but is a great value when compared to other heavy-weight rods.
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:43 PM
TRS
Tyler
94 D90 ST #304

Registry
You could keep an eye out of Ebay for used Sage One's at a decent price.
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:48 PM
RoverNY
Darrell
1987 Defender 90 ex-MOD

Registry
I have used an LL Bean 5wt and an Orvis 5wt for about 5-8 years. Either option would be in your current price range and can be "demoed" at the store. Good luck in your search.
Old April 29th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Are you trying to spend $300 on a rod, or an outfit? You're welcome to try my Orvis access, superfine touch, and recon. The access is a 9ft 5wt, and is the predecessor of the recon. The superfine is a slower action rod, that sort of feels like unicorns helping you cast, it's a brilliant rod. The recon is all about backbone. Faster action, with all the power to throw whatever you need. Rods now a days are mostly very good, and I only suggest not skimping on the line. A cheap line can ruin a great rod.

Feel free to swing by RN and borrow my access for a week. I mostly just use my Spey rod and 11ft 3wt euro rod now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 30th, 2016, 12:09 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'm with Zack. I have a TFO and a Sage, both 4 piece. I can't tell the difference, really, on the small streams I mostly fish. On big water the Sage is better, but line makes more difference, and I can't tell a $500 reel from a $30, but I don't fish everyday (anymore). Maybe when you get into $1000 kit it's different, but I could never get to that point.
Old April 30th, 2016, 06:35 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Thanks, all! And Zack, I appreciate the offer to borrow! If I'm planning to head out that way, I'll call a day or two ahead.

I'm after rod only. With this 4-piece, I'm looking for something a bit more powerful than my Rocky Mtn. Same weight and length - just looking for a little more uumph/snap without straying too far into a stiff rod. The wind seems to find me when I go hiking - at elevation (imagine that!) - and having fished the Rocky Mtn. all over creation, I know my limits with it. The tenkara's the answer to tight spots. With this one, I'm looking for a little more versatility, but still easy to carry.

From Orvis, the Recon seemed to fit the description of what I'm after. The online descriptions of the Echo as well. Not sure where to find one locally to get it in my hand (one description of the Echo criticized the grip size).

Wondering if the TFO is straying too far into the fast action category for what I'm looking for... it may be too similar to the Silver Ghost.
Old April 30th, 2016, 06:45 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

If you are going toward Zach you have to try and snag some of his custom flies.
Old April 30th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
If you are going toward Zach you have to try and snag some of his custom flies.
highly "custom"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice