Old January 7th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Swapping any 3.2L into any Defender will always be illegal per the EPA - because its not a factory fitted engine. No reason you couldnt bring in an older 3.2 the same way people are bringing in 300's and Td5s... under cover of darkness.
That is not true as I understand it. Adding an EPA compliant engine along with all emission systems newer than the vehicle is legal. This thread is about the engine from the current model Ford Transit, sold in the USA.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2015, 02:49 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM606_engine

174HP, readily available stateside, can be made mechanical with an om605 IP (also available stateside). and can be mated to the mt82 with the kit I posted in the 'swap theory' thread.

also can easily get your hands on the entire drivetrain sub $8K including the mt82 transmission...

Literally I have been eyeing this diesel for months. I looked into the 3.2 very very briefly but decided that Mercedes diesel is most likely a superior product
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM606_engine

174HP, readily available stateside,...
243 lb-ft? Not worth the effort.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2015, 02:59 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:04 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
That is not true as I understand it. Adding an EPA compliant engine along with all emission systems newer than the vehicle is legal. This thread is about the engine from the current model Ford Transit, sold in the USA.
EPA tests engines as "configurations" as you noted - the approved configuration is for the 3.2L diesel in the Transit, not in any other application.

Also, depending on classification there could be other issues about installing a medium duty engine into a light duty passenger vehicle.

The regs are confusing though and there is definitely room for interpretation. Not sure I'd want to be on the wrong end of a judge for that argument though.

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...ngswitch_0.pdf

Some relevant excerpts:

The most common engine replacement involves replacing a gasoline engine in a light-duty vehicle with
another gasoline engine. Another type of engine switching which commonly occurs, however, involves
diesel powered vehicles where the diesel engine is removed and replaced with a gasoline engine.
Applying the above policy, such a replacement is legal only if the resulting engine-chassis configuration
is equivalent to a certified configuration of the same model year or newer as the chassis. If the vehicle
chassis in question has been certified with gasoline, as well as diesel engines(as is common), such a
conversion could be done legally.

Another situation recently brought to EPA's attention involves the offering for sale of used foreign-built
engines. These engines are often not covered by a certified configuration for any vehicle sold in this
country. In such a case, there is no way to install such an engine legally. EPA has recently brought
enforcement actions against certain parties who have violated the tampering prohibition by performing
illegal engine switches.

It should be noted that while EPA's policy allows engine switches as long as the resulting vehicle
matches exactly to anv certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the chassis, there are
some substantial practical limitations to performing such a replacement. Vehicle chassis and engine
designs of one vehicle manufacturer are very distinct from those of another, such that it is generally not
possible to put an engine into a chassis of a different manufacturer and have it match up to a certified
configuration. Therefore, practical considerations will generally limit engine switches to installation of
another engine which was certified to be used in that same make and model (or a "twin" of that make
and model, e.g., Pontiac Grand Am and Oldsmobile Calais). In addition, converting a vehicle into a
different certified configuration is likely to be very difficult, and the cost may prove prohibitive.
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Ford does have an edge there: 185hp 350ftlbs

http://www.internationalpowerstroke....werstroke.html

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 7th, 2015, 03:14 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Actually your wrong according to the EPA…not gonna argue or debate this, but read the attached and it explains that it's legal as long as the "chassis" has been certified for both gas and diesels in the US.

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...ngswitch_0.pdf

Most are going to do what they want, with little regard for the "rules"

"was posting this same time as Adam…"
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:07 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM606_engine 174HP, readily available stateside, can be made mechanical with an om605 IP (also available stateside). and can be mated to the mt82 with the kit I posted in the 'swap theory' thread. also can easily get your hands on the entire drivetrain sub $8K including the mt82 transmission... Literally I have been eyeing this diesel for months. I looked into the 3.2 very very briefly but decided that Mercedes diesel is most likely a superior product
I'm wishing I had done more research before my conversion.
I did the Int'l HS2.8. While I looked into and discounted many options, it seems I still missed a few that might have been better.
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:17 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Not much better than the 2.8... thats a great little engine. If you really regret it let me know I'll make it go away
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:22 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I'm wishing I had done more research before my conversion.
I did the Int'l HS2.8. While I looked into and discounted many options, it seems I still missed a few that might have been better.
Everything has its pro's and con's. I think trying to justify a $12K swap is always going to be hard. the 2.8 is a great engine
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:29 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Not much better than the 2.8... thats a great little engine. If you really regret it let me know I'll make it go away
Great until it comes to accessibility to available parts.
The MB engine parts are about as plentiful as Chevy parts compared to the 2.8.
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:30 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

What parts can't you find? i was under the impression that most were interchangeable with the 300.. but I could very well be wrong.
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
What parts can't you find? i was under the impression that most were interchangeable with the 300.. but I could very well be wrong.
some but not all. Even though the engines look similar I think it's a 200 tdi to 300 tdi type of situation
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:53 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Had problems trying to find a lift pump. Had to order an injector pump from overseas.
Little things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
engine