$225k...wtf?! - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

For those that have seen a full ECR rebuild up close, the trucks are perfect, as new, actually well better than new.

Parts alone that truck has 100k in it (including the donor vehicle) and 1500 hours of labor is not unrealistic.
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:27 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
How does this get registered? As a 1997 NAS D-90?
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
How does this get registered? As a 1997 NAS D-90?
Yup. Depending on the state, it might have qualified for a "rebuild" inspection, but I doubt Maine has that. Basically, you get the title to the original 1997 NAS D90
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Let's not get started on ECR. I'll simply stick to the positive side of things in that they do very nice work.
Excuse my ignorance but I'm confused as to what the deal is with ECR? I sent my truck there to have some work done and they did fantastic work. I'm unclear what the other things that people are saying are about?
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley423 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but I'm confused as to what the deal is with ECR? I sent my truck there to have some work done and they did fantastic work. I'm unclear what the other things that people are saying are about?
I think the gist is that not everyone has deep enough pockets to spend $100K on an ECR truck (or a large fraction of that having work done to an existing one).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I think the gist is that not everyone has deep enough pockets to spend $100K on an ECR truck (or a large fraction of that having work done to an existing one).
That makes sense. I didn't spend anywhere close to that. They sorted out some mechanical issues installed some lights. That was it. I'd gladly send my truck back up there but they're incredibly busy and I don't really have the money to.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
I think he's under the impression that Copley had it built to sell. Which I'm pretty sure isn't the case.

I remembered seeing the truck before but didnt realize how long ago it had been built. So yes my statement was confusing. I am sure its an expensive truck to reproduce but I would think its probably being listed now somewhere very close to what it originally sold for after being built for ECR's customer (speculation). With that said, I think this truck could be built for much less than its listed for because ECR deserves a notable profit for that kind of work and ability. Same goes for Copley, they have to front a lot of money to put that car in there inventory and be able to wait for a buyer which means they probably are making good money as well which they should. One of my favorite setups is a 4 door 110 soft top and the only reason I fell in love with that setup in the first place is ECR's first Beach Runner some years ago...

C-
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Let's not get started on ECR. I'll simply stick to the positive side of things in that they do very nice work.
I personally love some of the BR-110 builds, but the BR-130s look over-the-top ostentagious. Some of the custom builds are spec'd out by owners who have all the money but no taste.
No doubt. ECR does a fantastic job; they are true craftsmen. My beef is with the small subset of their customers who insist on hacking fine trucks into some bling-bling, bump-the-bass, show-off vehicle. To take a jack-of-all-trades Defender and turn it into a single-purpose island cruiser is just ridiculous to me.
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:04 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
you have actual "beef" with these type of people. wow!
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A few people here and other places have called the Beach Runners terrible names, but I'm not sure I understand what the problem is, unless it is simply a response to the name "beach runner.". Even if only gets used on the beach, that doesn't make it any less of a multi purpose vehicle. I don't see how it's any different in principle than a 2-door 110 soft top. I'll never be a fan of the aircraft gauges or other weirdo accessories that some of the buyers pick, but they're paying the bill, not me

Old April 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
No doubt. ECR does a fantastic job; they are true craftsmen. My beef is with the small subset of their customers who insist on hacking fine trucks into some bling-bling, bump-the-bass, show-off vehicle. To take a jack-of-all-trades Defender and turn it into a single-purpose island cruiser is just ridiculous to me.
Yeah that is bullshit. Plenty of bullshit greymarket imports out there why ruin the NAS trucks?
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Humm, If you want a single purpose island cruiser and you can sport it, Why not get it built. There are always going to be people whom love the orignal trucks, those whom add all the off road stuff to them, some whom add 20" wheels and snake hide interiors, and monster strereo's to thier custom 110.

Good for them, Enjoy.

If everyone was the same we'd all be driving Tacoma's instead of Defenders.

If you really want to hear some rants when you add disc brakes to your car, come on over to the Porsche 356 registry. - Even exact Reproduction peices get the stink eye

It's a neat truck and i bet there is more than 100k in parts and if they just charge a shop rate of $100 hour (which is pretty low actually) for say 1500 hours,, you can do the math.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:28 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
they should not be clear coated either. LR should have used brushes and rollers to apply. =)
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Keith

You should donate your profit to charity. Is there one that helps under privileged land rover owners who have been slighted by perceived bad taste or one that helps people who are jealous they don't have the coin to build these things so they just sit around and say if they had the cash they would never build such a monstrosity knowing they will never have the opportunity? We can start a PayPal fund.
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Converting that NAS D-90 ST to a "NAS" D-110 ST looks tastefully done. Not sure how it lost its jack-of-all trades capability.

IMO, it is the retirees in the vintage car clubs who are turning over in their graves. They put a lifetime of pride into their old Chevy/Ford/whatever by keeping it as original as possible and enjoying the monthly club gatherings/outings of the like minded. Then they pass away and short time later their work gets mutilated into something like this before and after example of a 1940 Ford pickup. At least this guy kept the flathead in it. I would have really puked if it had a Chevy SB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1940%20Ford%20Pick-Up-A.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	50535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	50536  

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	50537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	50538  

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	50539  
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
True, but that wasn't the point I was driving at. More like they are most interested in working with customers who have personal assistants handle their bills and who rarely question how long anything takes or how much it costs. For the rest of us who actually care about how our money/billable hours are handled, we are NOT ECR's "core" customer. They have carved out a nice niche with the MMTB "more money than brains" crowd.

THese BR trucks are indeed purpose-built. The 4x4 equivelent of a Hinkley picnic boat. Awesome trophies for people who rarely use them. As an interesting side note, the beaches in Nantucket (and other drive-on beaches) are not getting any larger. In fact they are dissappearing. The amount of places you can actually enjoy a BR is pretty limited. What's the point? you take a great do-all vehicle and pretty much limit it's utility to picnics at the beach (unused surfboards on the roof for just the right look).

I'd rather take an early Bronco or Scout and turn it into a dedicated Beach truck. Only a bimini roof, Rhino-line everything and enjoy the heck out of it for less than 25% of the cost. However, you have to understand what drives the psyche in places like Nantucket (everyone has to have THE BEST, or at least better than yours). It's funny actually. Some asshat will buy this ECR-BR as an accessory for a $10MM summer house. Not being a hater at all, just see this kind of thing play out all the time.
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
What's the going rate to just have a NAS 110 external cage installed?
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

If i had a $10m Beach house, i'd have a couple of BR's and a hard top or 2 for when it rains and i don't want to get the ferrari daytona wet.

Hell, I'd build a BR110 just for my scuba stuff (which i'm planning on anyway with a hardtop 110 since my 90 is too small for scooters and such, i wihs i could send it up to ECR but i can't and I enjoy working on them so it's me as the main mechanic)

My point - its a nice truck, built to excellent standards, if its too much, make a reasonable offer or leave it alone.
Ranting about the people with money who can do that is pretty lame.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
The price of a G65 is WTF in spades. Think about it it. For one G65, you could have a G63 AMG and a Ferrari 458 Italia!
Let me know where you shop

you are funny
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
If you had a 10m$ beach house would you let the sandy dogs and wet bathing suits sit on the furniture?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat