$225k...wtf?! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The swivels leak and its rusting, my SW is a bargain at 30k.
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
ECR's billable hours at the rate they charge(d), plus all of the parts they bought, fabricated, etc. you'd better believe ECR made money on it,....
ECR billable hours?, now that's some funny shit!
Wonder how many hours went into that truck and how many were buried in other customers' invoices.
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am not sure why people are so shocked. It is a limited edition truck at a high end dealer. Does anyone know anyone on the board with a truck from copley? It seems the people on this forum really aren't their clientele.

I bet it will sell. I am more shocked that the person who owns it would spend all this time and money to make it and only keep it for 2500 miles. He should have enjoyed it more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am not sure why people are so shocked. It is a limited edition truck at a high end dealer. Does anyone know anyone on the board with a truck from copley? It seems the people on this forum really aren't their clientele.

I bet it will sell. I am more shocked that the person who owns it would spend all this time and money to make it and only keep it for 2500 miles. He should have enjoyed it more.
That's funny rover4x4 Phillip has one and a bunch of others. Keith and Stuart are good guys.
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

How many people on the board have the ECR trucks they sell though.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:23 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
You couldn't build that truck again for under $275,000-$300,000. If it is exactly what you want then it's actually a good deal to buy a "second hand" restored truck done by ECR or similar. Copley in my opinion is a very important steward of these great trucks.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:49 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

If I sold all of my organs......
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:05 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
You couldn't build that truck again for under $275,000-$300,000. If it is exactly what you want then it's actually a good deal to buy a "second hand" restored truck done by ECR or similar. Copley in my opinion is a very important steward of these great trucks.
Steward? Puhleeze. Copley is in this only to make money. Good for them, but they are not some sacred Keeper of the Brand. Stewardship is not sending a NAS off to be transformed into some "beach runner" for some asshole that will use it once a year on his trip to his Nantucket house.

I have nothing against elite Defenders but these beach runner things are hideous. Honestly, I think that deep down inside, ECR knows it, too. But they have a business to run and these make beaucoup bucks for the balance sheet.
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:19 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
You can't argue that Copley plays a part in the increased valuation of our trucks. They have the medium that attracts those people into a Defender that otherwise wouldn't have bought one. They help stir demand. A guy like John Mayer is not going to pay top dollar for your super clean Defender right off of eBay or some ethusiast forum. I think they are an important part. I know I wouldn't have found my truck without them. The more 6 figure trucks they pair up with the right person the better. And, who cares if some guy is wealthy enough to have ECR build a custom truck, put 50 miles on it and sell it. The second owner is getting an awesome truck for a serious mark down. Win win...
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:31 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

They may raise awareness among the non-enthusiast collector but it doesn't do much for the trucks that we own, including yours. Copley is the Hammacher-Schlemmer of Land Rovers. They make a tidy profit selling items available elsewhere at a lesser price. It's just an outlet. I believe that your truck was built by my friend Eric at Pikes Peak Rovers here in town. It is a fine restoration. Your truck's value lies in the time and craft that Eric put into it, not the profit that Copley made after the previous owner dumped it.
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:37 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
They may raise awareness among the non-enthusiast collector but it doesn't do much for the trucks that we own, including yours. Copley is the Hammacher-Schlemmer of Land Rovers. They make a tidy profit selling items available elsewhere at a lesser price. It's just an outlet. I believe that your truck was built by my friend Eric at Pikes Peak Rovers here in town. It is a fine restoration. Your truck's value lies in the time and craft that Eric put into it, not the profit that Copley made after the previous owner dumped it.
That's very true. You're right, the value is not created by Copley. I guess what I am saying is that I could have never afforded to have Eric build that truck on my dime. I'm very happy someone else foot that initial bill. Keith at Copley had been keeping an eye out for me for over two years and he knew it was right for me. I didn't mind paying that fair premium to work with them and I won't mind paying it again and again. Just my .02.
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:03 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
A guy like John Mayer is not going to pay top dollar for your super clean Defender right off of eBay or some ethusiast forum.
I think Mayer is skipping even the Copley trucks....looks like he's sporting a black puma these days:
http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/201...over-defender/

Somewhere there's a video of him pulling out of a driveway in it, but I couldn't put my fingers on it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I think Mayer is skipping even the Copley trucks....looks like he's sporting a black puma these days:

Somewhere there's a video of him pulling out of a driveway in it, but I couldn't put my fingers on it.
I believe there is a Copley plate tag on it as well...
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:

Don't worry... Josh will find it.

Old April 19th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave...free consumer choice. In the end it, for the most part it adds value. If you paid $20,000 or $200.000. You bought it because you liked it, just like the rest of us nuts! We should all be riding the Metro! (nice $6.00 fuel in Cali!)
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:40 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:

I believe his black 110 has CT plates on it...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0421_justin_mayer_inf.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	50512  
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
And John Mayer's blue SW is actually a Dubai/Japanese Spec truck, not NAS from what I remember.

I love how off topic we always get - not that the original purpose of this thread was all that stimulating. Copley has been putting "please call" on their higher priced Defenders for years - now that they've put a price on a few for the public to see, it's all of a sudden a "wtf" price? Let's move on...

BTW, here's the video - I can't tell if it says Coldplay or Copley:

http://www.x17online.com/celebrities...hn_gyms_it.php

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&postcount=111
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Not a puma. TD5.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Not a puma. TD5.
I realized that after I watched the vid...was going off memory. Which obviously isn't that good these days.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 19th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
You can't argue that Copley plays a part in the increased valuation of our trucks. They have the medium that attracts those people into a Defender that otherwise wouldn't have bought one. They help stir demand. A guy like John Mayer is not going to pay top dollar for your super clean Defender right off of eBay or some ethusiast forum. I think they are an important part. I know I wouldn't have found my truck without them. The more 6 figure trucks they pair up with the right person the better. And, who cares if some guy is wealthy enough to have ECR build a custom truck, put 50 miles on it and sell it. The second owner is getting an awesome truck for a serious mark down. Win win...

Totally agree.

I know a few people that have gone through Copley (years ago though) and they are a nice botique shop. Nobody gets into that business because it's easy to make mountains of money. Just like every other business, it has significant overhead. Being such a niche market, he may sit on that truck 6-9 months before it moves and have a floorplan line of credit monthly nut to absorb during.

It's nice to see people dealing items they are passionate about whether it be a Defender or a vintage BMW. If I were Copley, I'd be charging a premium for having a solid reputation for sure. High net worth customers who have things to lose would not want to go hunting around for some sketchy VIN-swap Puma that will blow up their world if something went wrong. I guess to people who reside here on this forum and others who have free time on their hands it seems ridiculous to pay that kind of money, but what if you had money and no time? Copley finds, sorts and stands behind what it sels and should get paid for that effort.
(and no, that truck cannot be replicated for what they're asking and if you were considering that type of build this offering would be a great value).

Let's not get started on ECR. I'll simply stick to the positive side of things in that they do very nice work.
I personally love some of the BR-110 builds, but the BR-130s look over-the-top ostentagious. Some of the custom builds are spec'd out by owners who have all the money but no taste.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat