$225k...wtf?! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,523
Registry
The swivels leak and its rusting, my SW is a bargain at 30k.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
ECR's billable hours at the rate they charge(d), plus all of the parts they bought, fabricated, etc. you'd better believe ECR made money on it,....
ECR billable hours?, now that's some funny shit!
Wonder how many hours went into that truck and how many were buried in other customers' invoices.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,959
I am not sure why people are so shocked. It is a limited edition truck at a high end dealer. Does anyone know anyone on the board with a truck from copley? It seems the people on this forum really aren't their clientele.

I bet it will sell. I am more shocked that the person who owns it would spend all this time and money to make it and only keep it for 2500 miles. He should have enjoyed it more.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
draaronr's Avatar
draaronr
Status: Offline
Here
LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: nc USA
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am not sure why people are so shocked. It is a limited edition truck at a high end dealer. Does anyone know anyone on the board with a truck from copley? It seems the people on this forum really aren't their clientele.

I bet it will sell. I am more shocked that the person who owns it would spend all this time and money to make it and only keep it for 2500 miles. He should have enjoyed it more.
That's funny rover4x4 Phillip has one and a bunch of others. Keith and Stuart are good guys.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,959
How many people on the board have the ECR trucks they sell though.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:23 AM
NomaD110
Status: Offline
Christian
1993 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 204
Registry
You couldn't build that truck again for under $275,000-$300,000. If it is exactly what you want then it's actually a good deal to buy a "second hand" restored truck done by ECR or similar. Copley in my opinion is a very important steward of these great trucks.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:49 AM
jayz's Avatar
jayz
Status: Offline
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 776
If I sold all of my organs......
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:05 AM
chris snell's Avatar
chris snell
Status: Offline
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
You couldn't build that truck again for under $275,000-$300,000. If it is exactly what you want then it's actually a good deal to buy a "second hand" restored truck done by ECR or similar. Copley in my opinion is a very important steward of these great trucks.
Steward? Puhleeze. Copley is in this only to make money. Good for them, but they are not some sacred Keeper of the Brand. Stewardship is not sending a NAS off to be transformed into some "beach runner" for some asshole that will use it once a year on his trip to his Nantucket house.

I have nothing against elite Defenders but these beach runner things are hideous. Honestly, I think that deep down inside, ECR knows it, too. But they have a business to run and these make beaucoup bucks for the balance sheet.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:19 AM
NomaD110
Status: Offline
Christian
1993 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 204
Registry
You can't argue that Copley plays a part in the increased valuation of our trucks. They have the medium that attracts those people into a Defender that otherwise wouldn't have bought one. They help stir demand. A guy like John Mayer is not going to pay top dollar for your super clean Defender right off of eBay or some ethusiast forum. I think they are an important part. I know I wouldn't have found my truck without them. The more 6 figure trucks they pair up with the right person the better. And, who cares if some guy is wealthy enough to have ECR build a custom truck, put 50 miles on it and sell it. The second owner is getting an awesome truck for a serious mark down. Win win...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:31 AM
chris snell's Avatar
chris snell
Status: Offline
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,439
They may raise awareness among the non-enthusiast collector but it doesn't do much for the trucks that we own, including yours. Copley is the Hammacher-Schlemmer of Land Rovers. They make a tidy profit selling items available elsewhere at a lesser price. It's just an outlet. I believe that your truck was built by my friend Eric at Pikes Peak Rovers here in town. It is a fine restoration. Your truck's value lies in the time and craft that Eric put into it, not the profit that Copley made after the previous owner dumped it.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:37 AM
NomaD110
Status: Offline
Christian
1993 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 204
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
They may raise awareness among the non-enthusiast collector but it doesn't do much for the trucks that we own, including yours. Copley is the Hammacher-Schlemmer of Land Rovers. They make a tidy profit selling items available elsewhere at a lesser price. It's just an outlet. I believe that your truck was built by my friend Eric at Pikes Peak Rovers here in town. It is a fine restoration. Your truck's value lies in the time and craft that Eric put into it, not the profit that Copley made after the previous owner dumped it.
That's very true. You're right, the value is not created by Copley. I guess what I am saying is that I could have never afforded to have Eric build that truck on my dime. I'm very happy someone else foot that initial bill. Keith at Copley had been keeping an eye out for me for over two years and he knew it was right for me. I didn't mind paying that fair premium to work with them and I won't mind paying it again and again. Just my .02.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:03 AM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
A guy like John Mayer is not going to pay top dollar for your super clean Defender right off of eBay or some ethusiast forum.
I think Mayer is skipping even the Copley trucks....looks like he's sporting a black puma these days:
http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/201...over-defender/

Somewhere there's a video of him pulling out of a driveway in it, but I couldn't put my fingers on it.
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM
KKilo23's Avatar
KKilo23
Status: Offline
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 2,065
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I think Mayer is skipping even the Copley trucks....looks like he's sporting a black puma these days:
http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/201...over-defender/

Somewhere there's a video of him pulling out of a driveway in it, but I couldn't put my fingers on it.
I believe there is a Copley plate tag on it as well...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM
woldd90's Avatar
woldd90
Status: Offline
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I think Mayer is skipping even the Copley trucks....looks like he's sporting a black puma these days:
http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/201...over-defender/

Somewhere there's a video of him pulling out of a driveway in it, but I couldn't put my fingers on it.
Don't worry... Josh will find it.
__________________
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave...free consumer choice. In the end it, for the most part it adds value. If you paid $20,000 or $200.000. You bought it because you liked it, just like the rest of us nuts! We should all be riding the Metro! (nice $6.00 fuel in Cali!)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:40 AM
KKilo23's Avatar
KKilo23
Status: Offline
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 2,065
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I think Mayer is skipping even the Copley trucks....looks like he's sporting a black puma these days:
http://www.celebritycarsblog.com/201...over-defender/

Somewhere there's a video of him pulling out of a driveway in it, but I couldn't put my fingers on it.
I believe his black 110 has CT plates on it...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0421_justin_mayer_inf.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	50512  
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
And John Mayer's blue SW is actually a Dubai/Japanese Spec truck, not NAS from what I remember.

I love how off topic we always get - not that the original purpose of this thread was all that stimulating. Copley has been putting "please call" on their higher priced Defenders for years - now that they've put a price on a few for the public to see, it's all of a sudden a "wtf" price? Let's move on...

BTW, here's the video - I can't tell if it says Coldplay or Copley:

http://www.x17online.com/celebrities...hn_gyms_it.php

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&postcount=111
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,959
Not a puma. TD5.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,741
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Not a puma. TD5.
I realized that after I watched the vid...was going off memory. Which obviously isn't that good these days.
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
You can't argue that Copley plays a part in the increased valuation of our trucks. They have the medium that attracts those people into a Defender that otherwise wouldn't have bought one. They help stir demand. A guy like John Mayer is not going to pay top dollar for your super clean Defender right off of eBay or some ethusiast forum. I think they are an important part. I know I wouldn't have found my truck without them. The more 6 figure trucks they pair up with the right person the better. And, who cares if some guy is wealthy enough to have ECR build a custom truck, put 50 miles on it and sell it. The second owner is getting an awesome truck for a serious mark down. Win win...

Totally agree.

I know a few people that have gone through Copley (years ago though) and they are a nice botique shop. Nobody gets into that business because it's easy to make mountains of money. Just like every other business, it has significant overhead. Being such a niche market, he may sit on that truck 6-9 months before it moves and have a floorplan line of credit monthly nut to absorb during.

It's nice to see people dealing items they are passionate about whether it be a Defender or a vintage BMW. If I were Copley, I'd be charging a premium for having a solid reputation for sure. High net worth customers who have things to lose would not want to go hunting around for some sketchy VIN-swap Puma that will blow up their world if something went wrong. I guess to people who reside here on this forum and others who have free time on their hands it seems ridiculous to pay that kind of money, but what if you had money and no time? Copley finds, sorts and stands behind what it sels and should get paid for that effort.
(and no, that truck cannot be replicated for what they're asking and if you were considering that type of build this offering would be a great value).

Let's not get started on ECR. I'll simply stick to the positive side of things in that they do very nice work.
I personally love some of the BR-110 builds, but the BR-130s look over-the-top ostentagious. Some of the custom builds are spec'd out by owners who have all the money but no taste.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death wobble..WTF?? MudD1 Defender Technical Discussions 11 June 23rd, 2010 11:03 AM
WTF... Fourth clutch master cylinder in 5 years ? JFD Defender Technical Discussions 6 June 23rd, 2010 09:59 AM
Tdi T-Case Clearance Problem.. WTF.. TDI Guy Defender Technical Discussions 14 May 26th, 2006 06:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Copyright