220V Mig Welder Opinions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 31st, 2015, 10:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

220V Mig Welder Opinions

It is time for a new welder, I have outgrown my Lincoln 135amp 110V welder and it is time to move on. I need some opinions, good or bad on the following units:
Millermatic 210 ($1000 - $1200 used)
Millermatic 212 ($1788)
Hobart Ironman 230 ($1500)
Lincoln Powermig 216 ($1700)

I plan on this welder being my last so I want to make it a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2015, 10:31 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Though I haven't used any of those models listed, I did quite a bit of research on MIG welders before buying a Hobart 190.

Most folks say Miller is a better brand and would be what a shop user would go for, but Hobart would also be suitable for some professionals as well. I forget about what the deal was with Lincoln, except I narrowed my choices between Hobart and Miller and since I'm a casual user, there wasn't a need for increased duty cycle or Miller brand.
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:32 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I only buy Miller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2015, 10:41 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Also, I remember that Hobart is owned by Miller.
So maybe it's the BluePoint to the Snap-On, or more aptly stated, it's for lighter duty (farm/home/small workshop) whereas if you're fabricating every day (like Wolf), Miller is it.
Actually, now that Wolf has weighed in with his Miller endorsement, this thread should be closed.
There is s dude who was making a living with fabrication, so there you have it.

Also, I'd think twice about buying used unless you know who you're buying it from.
Unit could have been frequently overloaded or misused and you could end up spending hundreds on replacement circuit boards or drive units after the fact.
It's just better to get something new. I'd have probably gone with a larger Miller unit if I could get my head around the "used" aspect.

The flexibility of the Miller 210MVP is something I'd like (a 220v 50-Amp plug isn't always available)
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:52 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Good point on the used welder.
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:57 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Good point on the used welder.
Yeah, I usually love finding deals on used stuff, but too many welders end up being tossed around job sites and getting misused until they are upgraded or replaced. Good MIG welders are just too useful, so you have to ask yourself why the seller is getting rid of it in the first place. No room in the shop, never use it, all done with the job are common reasons listed but I'm not so sure I buy any of these (at least CL ads).
Now, if you've got a friend in the trades that is selling one or knows a shop or contractor selling one and you get a good sense of its history, then maybe.

If your budget is $1,500-2,000 it's hard to beat the Miller 210 MVP
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:57 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've got the Miller 211. It's lasted me 10 years and I have pushed it to its limits with no complaints.

For plasma cutting, I've got the 375. Had it 7 years, zero issues.

It's one of those things where they are dependable, I've had no complaints, so I'll continue to buy Miller.

My spool gun is Miller too.

MVP is a good option if you need multi voltage options. Thad what my plasma cutter has.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:27 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

miller all day long
Old January 31st, 2015, 11:50 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Millermatic DVI is awesome. I have mine set up for 250 volt but you can change out the plug in 3 seconds and use it on a standard 110 volt outlet
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:28 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I only weld blue.. I had a Miller 212 until it was stolen; I liked it but I there was something about the arc I didn't quite like but I could never quite put my finger on it. If I were to do it again, I'd get one of the 251's used, I like those machines. The vintage 250's some people still swear by and claim they're the best MIG ever made....I can't say I disagree.
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:52 AM
javelinadave
-
-

People complain about the 212's soft start.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:09 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Just my opinion, but unless you're going to be a welder by profession, just get the highest current rating possible for 220V, non-transformer supply (IGBT) and a spoolgun.

I don't know what all those different models do, but I do know that half the model variations are just marketing gimmicks.

Also, purchasing only Miller equipment is like purchasing only Dewalt tools. You could do it, but then you miss out on Snap-On, Hitachi , Milwaukee, and Bosch. Also, Miller welders are very expensive for what you get.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:23 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Just my opinion, but unless you're going to be a welder by profession, just get the highest current rating possible for 220V, non-transformer supply (IGBT) and a spoolgun.

I don't know what all those different models do, but I do know that half the model variations are just marketing gimmicks.

Also, purchasing only Miller equipment is like purchasing only Dewalt tools. You could do it, but then you miss out on Snap-On, Hitachi , Milwaukee, and Bosch. Also, Miller welders are very expensive for what you get.
I agree with the first two statements.
I just don't know if I'd go so far as to suggest that Miller is too expensive for what you get. Maybe for the occasional user.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:33 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
I just bought a second-hand Miller 211 last year. I came from a Lincoln cheesey model that was 110VAC only. The 211 has far far exceeded my expectations.
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:00 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
I just bought a second-hand Miller 211 last year. I came from a Lincoln cheesey model that was 110VAC only. The 211 has far far exceeded my expectations.
I have been reading up on the 211 also and am now considering it too.
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

I have a Millermatic 252, great welder & has never let me down. Fab shop here in town runs them day in, day out... I only ever see blue on the back of service trucks here.... Gotta say something for the reliability.
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:43 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Been using a miller 210 for the last ~12 years and have never had 1 issue great welder.

Purchased form here
http://store.cyberweld.com/

In the past when I worked full time TIG welding we always had miller and Lincoln they both worked great but they were industrial type units.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Looks like the Millermatic 211 is the winner. Unfortunately Cyberweld.com has a warehouse in Mesa AZ so sales tax makes that a no-go. Any other online vendors that anybody would recommend?
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:15 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
US welding supply in Florida. Good shop, they ship their welders free
Old February 3rd, 2015, 07:04 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Miller...period. My 'go to' machine is a 175 that meets 95% of all my needs. The 210 is really nice but a bit bulky. If the owner is willing then take it to a local welding supply shop (Arcet, etc) that has an in-house repair shop, if possible. They can test the machine and provide a clean bill of health. I did that with two Syncrowave 250's I purchased. It was worth the peace of mind to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat