2019 Defender - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:11 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think one thing that has been overlooked so far is to get the Defender out of the passenger vehicle market altogether (not even a jeep competitor) but market it as a light truck or commercial vehicle - a la Unimog, Isuzu NPR, etc. The versatility of the Defender platform is one of its strengths, and that modularity is common in commercial vehicles - and almost never found in consumer transportation.

Leave the range rovers for the soccer moms. I want Defenders doing farmwork and delivering groceries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I think one thing that has been overlooked so far is to get the Defender out of the passenger vehicle market altogether (not even a jeep competitor) but market it as a light truck or commercial vehicle - a la Unimog, Isuzu NPR, etc
They might do that in other markets if it is engineered with that kind of spectrum capability, but it will never ever be sold here that way. In the US, Land Rover/Range Rover is considered a premium brand after years of brand shaping. It would be futile to try to compete in the same space as F150. Small and medium sized businesses would not support it in the likely cost and numbers LR is going to be facing.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 4th, 2015, 01:16 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
I think one thing that has been overlooked so far is to get the Defender out of the passenger vehicle market altogether (not even a jeep competitor) but market it as a light truck or commercial vehicle - a la Unimog, Isuzu NPR, etc

My thought exactly. I'm just not sure they could sell enough of them to the commercial/industrial/military markets to make it economically feasible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:20 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
It would be futile to try to compete in the same space as F150. Small and medium sized businesses would not support it in the likely cost and numbers LR is going to be facing.
Agree it would be futile to compete with the Ford F-market in the US. Still they could sell trucks in the same way that Isuzu (NPR), Mercedes Benz (Sprinter vans) do. Those vehicles are still quite successful.

I think my basic point is that it doesn't really make sense to have a "civilized" Defender in the passenger car market. The LR4 would completely wipe the floor with the Defender not to mention a Toyota 4Runner. The thing would be dead out of the gate. You would need to have a market that really needs its most useful characteristics: Versatility (diesels, engine combinations, different cab configurations, wheelbases), strong frame, LT230, solid front/rear axles, coil springs, front/rear locking differentials.)

Most consumers of passenger vehicles just don't care about anything on that list. Isn't this why almost every rendering of a new Defender is totally panned? I think it's time somebody rendered something that was bigger, stronger, badder, more utilitarian and more capable...think of what the MATV is to the Humvee.

Maybe the reason the Defender is flagging is not because it's too utilitarian for the consumer market. Maybe it's not utilitarian enough for the commercial market.
Old March 4th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Agree it would be futile to compete with the Ford F-market in the US. Still they could sell trucks in the same way that Isuzu (NPR), Mercedes Benz (Sprinter vans) do. Those vehicles are still quite successful.

I think my basic point is that it doesn't really make sense to have a "civilized" Defender in the passenger car market. The LR4 would completely wipe the floor with the Defender not to mention a Toyota 4Runner. The thing would be dead out of the gate. You would need to have a market that really needs its most useful characteristics: Versatility (diesels, engine combinations, different cab configurations, wheelbases), strong frame, LT230, solid front/rear axles, coil springs, front/rear locking differentials.)

Most consumers of passenger vehicles just don't care about anything on that list. Isn't this why almost every rendering of a new Defender is totally panned? I think it's time somebody rendered something that was bigger, stronger, badder, more utilitarian and more capable...think of what the MATV is to the Humvee.

Maybe the reason the Defender is flagging is not because it's too utilitarian for the consumer market. Maybe it's not utilitarian enough for the commercial market.
While I tend to agree logically with your thinking, I would also argue that this is the likely reason why it took SOOOO long for Chrysler to come out with a 4 door CJ/YJ; thinking it didn't make sense from a pure attributes standpoint to have one in the same space as the Cherokee. Yet they took the gamble and here we are.

A defender in the passenger market is going to be gobbled up by every mom and dad that can't stand to be in the run of the mill SUV. The SUV is quickly becoming the new mini-van.

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:49 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
A defender in the passenger market is going to be gobbled up by every mom and dad that can't stand to be in the run of the mill SUV. The SUV is quickly becoming the new mini-van.
But isn't a problem with that conclusion that the end product is just a marketing/style exercise?
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
But isn't a problem with that conclusion that the end product is just a marketing/style exercise?
Yes. the H2 hummer is just a different body on a suburban chassis. Have you seen any of those in carpool lane at your kids' school?

Old March 4th, 2015, 02:08 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Yes. the H2 hummer is just a different body on a suburban chassis. Have you seen any of those in carpool lane at your kids' school?
A sheep in wolf's clothing! I thought it was on the Tahoe. Either way, I'd rather have the Tahoe or burban than the H2.
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:50 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Have you seen what H2's are advertised for these days? Seem to/maybe retain "value" better than Tahoes. Auto trader has some listed with 70k miles for mid $20's. Personally I don't like the aesthetics. I have never ridden in one though.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:54 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
Have you seen what H2's are advertised for these days? Seem to/maybe retain "value" better than Tahoes. Auto trader has some listed with 70k miles for mid $20's. Personally I don't like the aesthetics. I have never ridden in one though.
That's just crazy! Sinfully fugly. Too much plastic chrome and less outward and rear visibility than the Tahoe/Burban!
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Couldnt you say the same thing about a D1 and a D90?

-Jeff

Yes. that's another good example to illustrate my point that a Defender has a place in the LRNA product line up.

Old March 4th, 2015, 03:00 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
2019 Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Sinfully fugly.

New signature?
Old March 4th, 2015, 03:01 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily View Post
New signature?
haha!
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Aluminum body, live axles. The real new Defender..... Live Axles to Remain in Next Jeep Wrangler AutoGuide.com News

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Since this is all things silly Land Rover thread, Evoque Convertible anyone?

Land Rover to introduce convertible Evoque SUV

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:57 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Aluminum body, live axles. The real new Defender..... Live Axles to Remain in Next Jeep Wrangler AutoGuide.com News
Yup. Because they have other models for mall crawling. And so does Land Rover. But for some reason they seem to want to make all of their models into the same thing, just different sizes.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I'm optimistic it's going to be bad ass. But even if it's kind of like a new Wrangler, that'd be okay. One of my good friends just got a brand new Wrangler and I'm quite impressed with it. A lot fancier than my old Defender. I guess 2012 is when they finally got it right. Pretty good engine, room for your arms, and a nice interior. It's pretty tempting.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:23 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I'm optimistic it's going to be bad ass. But even if it's kind of like a new Wrangler, that'd be okay. One of my good friends just got a brand new Wrangler and I'm quite impressed with it. A lot fancier than my old Defender. I guess 2012 is when they finally got it right. Pretty good engine, room for your arms, and a nice interior. It's pretty tempting.

I am optimistic as well. If the new defender is closer in resemblance to the new Wrangler then it is to the evoque convertible thing, I will buy one when it gets here.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:46 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I would love to be optimistic, until I remember that Gerry McGovern is head of design. While he may be the Jesus Incarnate of Range Rover design and aesthetic, I am not sure it translates to the Defender.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I would love to be optimistic, until I remember that Gerry McGovern is head of design. While he may be the Jesus Incarnate of Range Rover design and aesthetic, I am not sure it translates to the Defender.

Yeah, I don't think so. If they want to make it all posh with an auto and leather I guess that's okay as long as they still offer a utilitarian version.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender