Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 12th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Kelbo
Kelly
'86 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Gas lines? Only fools wait in gas lines at cheap discounting grocery store gas pumps to save three cent after spending $175 on marked up groceries. Make me a believer. Unless you drive the mileage of a transfer truck a year, I can't figure out the cost benefit of spending more on a diesel engine option, more on the fuel, to get more mpg's over the time you own the vehicle really shakes out. I think diesel is just something "cool" to have to most, unless you are hauling a big load on a regular basis. Just my opinion.
Go drive a tuned diesel car/truck.... There is no comparison. I've owned many gas burners in the past, as well as many diesels, and imo, I'd choose diesel over gas every time. I currently have a '15 3500 Duramax chevy which is tuned/deleted, had a '13 f350 6.7 tuned/deleted, and a '11 ram 3500 6.7 cummins tuned/deleted. They don't know what a hill is, even under strain, they get better mpg, last longer, and outperform most every gas burner on the road (when tuned.) I've also owned a TD5 d130, and 3.9 d90.... The TD5 was faster, smoother, sounded great, got 20-25mpg, and was far torquier.

It's an easy choice, to me.

'86 110

Former Rigs:
'94 D 90 ST
'84 D 130 Hi-Cap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Down here diesel is penalized because the current adminstration is betting the farm on solar powered cars and engines that run on love and equality as the future for America.

Groovy Baby, Yeah!

Our problems started in California. Along way from Hawaii or Kenya.

BTW the BBC article is two years old....
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:13 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbo View Post
Go drive a tuned diesel car/truck.... There is no comparison. I've owned many gas burners in the past, as well as many diesels, and imo, I'd choose diesel over gas every time. I currently have a '15 3500 Duramax chevy which is tuned/deleted, had a '13 f350 6.7 tuned/deleted, and a '11 ram 3500 6.7 cummins tuned/deleted. They don't know what a hill is, even under strain, they get better mpg, last longer, and outperform most every gas burner on the road (when tuned.) I've also owned a TD5 d130, and 3.9 d90.... The TD5 was faster, smoother, sounded great, got 20-25mpg, and was far torquier.

It's an easy choice, to me.
I'll never go back to a Rover V8 again after my Tdi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
I'll never go back to a Rover V8 again after my Tdi.
After all the hassles I'm having with the v8, I blurted out as much last week.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:17 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
For several years, I debated on converting to diesel. MPG, low end torque, ability to go bio, and at the time the cost of diesel was half the price of gas.

Then one rainy I was driving down the street and splashed through a puddle. It shut my Rover V8 off in rush hour traffic.

At that point I got ticked off and took the plunge. Of course the Tdi has had its fair share of issues. But that's a different story.
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:16 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You should have marketed that X5 here...
I just put it on Craigslist. A local lady bought it. She really loved it. I hope she still does too. She was a nice lady.
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:10 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Just do what Michele Mouton did in the Audi Quattro - floor it before the turn and then let the turbo hit on exit.

5 Questions with Michèle Mouton Audi Sport Factory Rally Driver – RoadandTrack.com
She was my poster girl growing up...hot and hot...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old June 13th, 2015, 05:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
She was my poster girl growing up...hot and hot...
Agree - and the French girl on Better Off Dead that could ski and fix Camaros

Have you seen this vid - any kid's dream from the 80's:

Old June 13th, 2015, 06:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Agree - and the French girl on Better Off Dead that could ski and fix Camaros
LOL. So true!
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:46 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yeah I know it's an old article but it's still an interesting read. Other than scheduled maintenance and that fuel system replacement my VW diesel doesn't spend time in the shop. Will next year probably get an A3 TDI if I can get it with Quattro.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:23 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Thing is no one offers a reliable cheap diesel for a DD. II'd love a Ford Focus with a diesel but we get shat on. Audi and VW are the only "small" cars with diesels other than the Chevy Cruz neither of which I am interested in. diesels smell like shit
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:50 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Thing is no one offers a reliable cheap diesel for a DD. II'd love a Ford Focus with a diesel but we get shat on. Audi and VW are the only "small" cars with diesels other than the Chevy Cruz neither of which I am interested in. diesels smell like shit
doesn't taste any better.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
Be sure to update this thread after you take delivery and have a chance to drive it. I've got my eye on the diesel but want to wait for the 2nd year model before I put in my order. Was there a premium charge for the diesel?
There is only a 2000 dollar increase over the v6 gas engine. So the cost was not a deterrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toona View Post
Subscribed. I was planning on waiting until next year for one but would be very curious what you think of the power/torque.. please post here after you take delivery.
I will post an evaluation after it arrives. I am looking forward to getting it in the late fall.
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by toona View Post
Subscribed. I was planning on waiting until next year for one but would be very curious what you think of the power/torque.. please post here after you take delivery.
My 2016 Td6 Range Rover should be getting built in a week or two. I am very excited to get it on the road.
Old August 10th, 2015, 09:42 AM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
I have driven the diesel and it is very nice. smooth take off and very quiet, if you keep it to the floor it does start to drop off in power as expected. I have a 2015 with the 3.0 v6 and the TD6 feels like the old 5.0 V8 off the line. It is a nice option for those who will use it off road or drive great distances.
Old August 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOX View Post
I have driven the diesel and it is very nice. smooth take off and very quiet, if you keep it to the floor it does start to drop off in power as expected. I have a 2015 with the 3.0 v6 and the TD6 feels like the old 5.0 V8 off the line. It is a nice option for those who will use it off road or drive great distances.
So less power than the v6?
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
I've been a diesel engine fan for many years. In the days before Ultra-Low Sulfur (the sulfur actually lubed the injector pump) and Blue Def, you could expect 300,000 to 500,000 miles out of a diesel engine, while leaded gasolines wore gasoline engines out in 100K. Diesels were sluggish (and still are compared to gas), they would pull like a freight-train all day and return very respectable mpg.

Now, even though diesel fuel is much less costly to refine than gasoline, diesel fuel is nearly as costly as premium gas. The lack of lubricant in the diesel fuels is now showing up across the board in the way of premature diesel injector pump failure. And the lack of sulfur also lowers the C-tane (read octane for gasoline) of the diesel fuel, making the engine work harder to produce the same power, and yes, causes poorer mpg and increased engine wear.

Blue Def is an injected into the outgoing exhaust gassesof modern diesel engines, and is primarily there to make the tree huggers feel good about not smelling diesel fumes or seeing CARBON come out the exhaust pipe. Only, most diesel cars and suv's lose the spare tire in order to make room for the Blue Def tank. Try pricing a "run-flat" tire for your Rangie.

Bottom line; if you want a diesel, get a diesel, but consider adding a pump lubricant to EVERY tank of fuel. I for sure would (and do) add it to ANY older diesel engine. And yes, I still love a diesel engine's torque for off-roading and towing.
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:43 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
Bottom line; if you want a diesel, get a diesel, but consider adding a pump lubricant to EVERY tank of fuel. I for sure would (and do) add it to ANY older diesel engine. And yes, I still love a diesel engine's torque for off-roading and towing.
New to diesel fuel here. Does this concern apply to diesel at marine pumps?
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:36 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
New to diesel fuel here. Does this concern apply to diesel at marine pumps?
ValvTect - Valvtect Marine Diesel
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
I don't have any marine diesel experience, so it would be best to follow up with someone who does. If marine diesel fuel is also Ultra-low sulfur, the lubricity that sulfur provides is not present. Marine diesel fuel may contain the additives that provide pump lubrication and C-tane boosters, however. I do know that the additives are relatively inexpensive and won't harm a diesel engine by doubling or tripling the additive. I would rather run the additive until I knew for sure, as it is easy cheaper than replacing an injector pump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel, range rover