Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 12th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Beyond the bad reputation from the past. The 6 cents higher per gallon Federal tax on diesel versus gasoline hurts diesels in the USA.

Of course, one day, that federal tax will need to go way, way up to fund the collapsing road infrastructure.

Here in Canada, the federal tax is 6 cents per liter (23 cents per gallon) LOWER on diesel than gasoline. It make a big difference. I'm not sure the actual number, but I would guess 50% of current Audi, BMW and Mercedes SUV sales are diesel. It makes the rich people think they are helping the environment.... But they are nicer to drive as well, IMO.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Down here diesel is penalized because the current adminstration is betting the farm on solar powered cars and engines that run on love and equality as the future for America.

Groovy Baby, Yeah!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 12th, 2015, 12:32 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Pretty good read about why we don't drive diesels. http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130...ot-buy-diesels
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 12:44 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 ůriginalť

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
Pretty good read about why we don't drive diesels. BBC - Autos - Why do Americans not drive diesels?
Yeah I thought this article was completely bogus based on the number of models being offered in the US that even have a diesel option.

Just about every manufacturer has a reasonably priced diesel variant in the UK and EU. It isn't whether or not americans would buy diesels, its whether or not they can. I think the next 6 years will prove the fuel in the US
Old June 12th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Yup it's Obama's fault. We all know he was born in Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Down here diesel is penalized because the current adminstration is betting the farm on solar powered cars and engines that run on love and equality as the future for America.

Groovy Baby, Yeah!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
After renting a jetta tdi in the UK and getting 15-20% better fuel economy (imperial adjusted) I did a lot of digging and the best answer I came up with was from a friend who is a German engineer at the Chattanooga VW plant. He said that US emissions are based on gallons and not miles traveled. That requires different emissions that are not as fuel efficient for miles traveled.
Essentially we get less miles per gallon in an attempt to reduce the emissions per gallon rather than look at the emissions per mile traveled. Typical government math. Not sure this is the whole reason, but have me enough to get off the search and try to get some sleep.
That's strange. I'm amazed the emissions controls could adversely affect fuel economy to such an extreme.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Can someone explain the hysterics around Diesel? Besides mpg what's the big deal? I guess I haven't been around enough diesels. Only ones I've been around are old Mercedes and a few trucks and all I remember is the smell of diesel burning was a turnoff, and engine noise.
My only experience driving a diesel car was our 2010 X5 35d. It was clean so there was no smell, but you could feel and hear the clatter of the engine. It was kind of hard to sell because people who test drove it didn't like that. I didn't care so much about that, but what I didn't like is how it just felt like a big turd unless you stepped down on the peddle because it always drove at such low rpms. And if you really stomped on the pedal to make the big turd move there was about a 1 second delay for the turbo to kick in. I'm not a fan of turbos at all. I'll take a smooth running naturally aspirated gas motor any day. What I think diesel is great for is big trucks and motorhomes where you really need that low end power.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
My only experience driving a diesel car was our 2010 X5 35d. It was clean so there was no smell, but you could feel and hear the clatter of the engine. It was kind of hard to sell because people who test drove it didn't like that. I didn't care so much about that, but what I didn't like is how it just felt like a big turd unless you stepped down on the peddle because it always drove at such low rpms. And if you really stomped on the pedal to make the big turd move there was about a 1 second delay for the turbo to kick in. I'm not a fan of turbos at all. I'll take a smooth running naturally aspirated gas motor any day. What I think diesel is great for is big trucks and motorhomes where you really need that low end power.
To each their own, I love turbos.....a proper turbo will make you one with your seat and put a smile on your face
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Yup it's Obama's fault. We all know he was born in Saudi Arabia.

It's a fact. I'm ready for a pragmatic White House, rather than the idealist we've beed dealing with.

‚€œPresident Obama, A Successful ‚€˜All-of-the-Above‚€™ Energy Policy Must Not Seek To Pick Winners and Losers‚€Ě -Allen Schaeffer, Diesel Technology Forum | Diesel Technology Forum

besides "Of course it's Obama's fault" doesn't fly as a defense after 10 years of "Of course it's Bush's fault". Can't have it both ways.

Diesel adoption in today's environment is about White House energy policy. American's care about the price at the pump, and commerce lives and diese by the price of diesel.

Old June 12th, 2015, 01:57 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Just do what Michele Mouton did in the Audi Quattro - floor it before the turn and then let the turbo hit on exit.

5 Questions with Mich√®le Mouton Audi Sport Factory Rally Driver ‚Äď RoadandTrack.com

Quote:
And of course, the noise from the car's turbo was fantastic.
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
It's a fact. I'm ready for a pragmatic White House, rather than the idealist we've beed dealing with.

So, you'll be voting for the guy who promises to raise the artificially-kept-lower-since-1993 gas tax in order to pay for our crumbing infrastructure?

That will at least bring gas up to the same pump price as diesel...

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren ching View Post
so, you'll be voting for the guy who promises to raise the artificially-kept-lower-since-1993 gas tax in order to pay for our crumbing infrastructure?

That will at least bring gas up to the same pump price as diesel...
yes! Petrol gravy train will end! KMA spark plugs!

Old June 12th, 2015, 02:19 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
based on resale? Absolutely. Do your research dude.
Resell value is great if you can sell it. Plus who wants a Volkswagon. I had a new Jetta as a rental recently and it would have been more comfortable with no seats. To each his own, dude.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

While I am not a fan of the jetta (sorry josh) asit is too Americanized, the golf/sportwagen platform I like.
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:40 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
While I am not a fan of the jetta (sorry josh) asit is too Americanized, the golf/sportwagen platform I like.
I test drove and almost bought a Jetta TDI with a manual a few years ago.
What discouraged me was I work with several people who have VW TDIs. And while they seem to love them, they seem to always be in the shop. Sounds like a Rover.
But at the time, I was searching for a low maintenance car. I went with a Mazda and got a darn good reliable car that served me well far beyond 250k miles. Other than routine maintenance it never had to go in to the shop for any repairs.
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:55 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
You should have marketed that X5 here...
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Resell value is great if you can sell it. Plus who wants a Volkswagon. I had a new Jetta as a rental recently and it would have been more comfortable with no seats. To each his own, dude.
Did you not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night or something? I'm talking about diesels, not VWs, not Jettas...diesels. haha. As long as the model has a reputation of at-least-as-reliable as their gas counterpart, the diesel variant(s) have consistently depreciated slower than the same gas model.
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:08 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
This Fiat 124 is powered by a VW diesel from a totaled Jetta. Nice build and it has been reliable so far.
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:08 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Did you not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night or something? I'm talking about diesels, not VWs, not Jettas...diesels. haha. As long as the model has a reputation of at-least-as-reliable as their gas counterpart, the diesel variant(s) have consistently depreciated slower than the same gas model.
Cool.

For some reason I thought you were partial to Das auto.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:21 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
I think electrical issues were more a part of VW problem areas anyway. Not the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel, range rover