2016 Range Rover Diesel - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 12th, 2015, 08:20 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Gas lines? Only fools wait in gas lines at cheap discounting grocery store gas pumps to save three cent after spending $175 on marked up groceries. Make me a believer. Unless you drive the mileage of a transfer truck a year, I can't figure out the cost benefit of spending more on a diesel engine option, more on the fuel, to get more mpg's over the time you own the vehicle really shakes out. I think diesel is just something "cool" to have to most, unless you are hauling a big load on a regular basis. Just my opinion.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 08:34 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
American consumers are the fools for being leery of diesels. A buddy at VW/Audi HQ (sorry Josh, in NOVA) explained the direct correlation between diesel sales and the perceived spread between the displayed cost/gal of diesel and (regular) gas. Yet they fill-up with supreme anyway that negates the spread. VW/Audi has been changing their produce mix as of late to lower the # of diesels being brought in. Another thorny issue is not all of the old style diesel nozzles have been converted and the American consumer does not standing there (on the oil slick) to hold the nozzle during the fill-up.
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Diesel is actually less expensive than premium AND mid grade. I love that diesels are starting to come into the states.

As for diesel smell, Rick said it the best. "diesel fumes make me horny"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 08:59 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
In what Land Rover? It's a dog the the LR4, but not the RRS or full size RR. A 2014 V6 S/C RRS is faster 0-60 than a 2013 normally aspirated V8 RRS.
Range full size
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:59 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Diesel is actually less expensive than premium AND mid grade.
Understood. That was the point I was trying to make yet most American consumers are blinded by the perception otherwise based on those big green or red pricing signs comparing diesel to regular gas (yet fill up with the $$ premium regardless).
We are not a sharp society and marketing exploits this (or so says by buddy at VW/Audi).
Old June 12th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is just different test cycles for the fuel consumption figures.

Modern diesels are a lot nicer to drive than equivalent power gasoline engines.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:26 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Gas lines? What do folks do with the solo diesel pump and jockeying for that one spot each fillup?
Ask Tom. After Sandy there were gas lines for blocks in many towns around here, and you could only fill like $10 at a time on odd days if your last name started with a vowel. But those with diesel could go straight to the diesel pumps, fill up on any day they wanted, and needed to visit the pumps less frequently during the power outages and "gas shortage" than anyone else. Admittedly it's not the biggest reason I chose diesel, but that can be a pretty big deal the next time it may/does happen.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:30 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Gas lines? Only fools wait in gas lines at cheap discounting grocery store gas pumps to save three cent after spending $175 on marked up groceries. Make me a believer. Unless you drive the mileage of a transfer truck a year, I can't figure out the cost benefit of spending more on a diesel engine option, more on the fuel, to get more mpg's over the time you own the vehicle really shakes out. I think diesel is just something "cool" to have to most, unless you are hauling a big load on a regular basis. Just my opinion.
"gas lines" had nothing to do with cheap discount gas, and it was honestly one of the smaller reasons I went diesel. As consumers (hopefully) continue to buy more diesel vehicles in the US and elsewhere, we'll hopefully see even further development in the fuel class for greater efficiency over regular gas vehicles, and I'm excited to be a part of that "movement". If you still don't want diesel for any of the reasons already listed by others, then stick with your gas and continue to be a lemming. But since I know you're a cheap SOB like me here's another reason - diesel vehicles in the US have traditionally FAR outpaced the resale of regular gas vehicles, but you're probably one of those guys who lease so that may not matter to you.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:30 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Yep. During the aftermath of Sandy diesel was available everywhere. People that were waiting for the next semi to fill up the underground tanks would be pissed when I rolled up and topped off.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Understood. That was the point I was trying to make yet most American consumers are blinded by the perception otherwise based on those big green or red pricing signs comparing diesel to regular gas (yet fill up with the $$ premium regardless).
We are not a sharp society and marketing exploits this (or so says by buddy at VW/Audi).
Oh for sure, I'm not disagreeing. I was just remarking after a conversation I had this morning with a coworker. It is awesome for my tdi.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:32 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

For older diesels there were many reasons not sure they apply to newer ones.

Longevity they typically last longer.

Resell value

Ease of maintenance and tco
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:34 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
How many American consumers are actually buying mid grade or premium vs regular? I see the point on better mpg's with diesel, but most diesel engines cost more when purchasing a car, right? If I keep a car for 3 years, and pay a premium of 4-6K (some more) for the diesel option, does it payoff in mpg at the end vs regular? If I haul a trailer or drive 30K miles a year, sure. But we are talking average American consumer. I'm not against diesel, I'm just not sold that it's for the masses.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:35 AM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Subscribed. I was planning on waiting until next year for one but would be very curious what you think of the power/torque.. please post here after you take delivery.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
If I keep a car for 3 years, and pay a premium of 4-6K (some more) for the diesel option, does it payoff
based on resale? Absolutely. Do your research dude.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:43 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I have always said people aren't leery of diesels there just aren't a lot of options stateside. VW made the only affordable diesel sedan for like 20 years (yes mercs but they aren't 'affordable') and that has limited the pool. I don't think its an american vs european thing, I think it has a lot to do with scope of models being offered by manufacturers
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:48 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
I have always said people aren't leery of diesels there just aren't a lot of options stateside. VW made the only affordable diesel sedan for like 20 years (yes mercs but they aren't 'affordable') and that has limited the pool. I don't think its an american vs european thing, I think it has a lot to do with scope of models being offered by manufacturers
And the limited scope of diesel models offered by manufacturers has a lot to do with the limited number of large local governments who do not penalize for diesel imports.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:53 AM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
I have been waiting for the RR diesel to order mine but hoping to see a twin turbo unit but only if the power and economy is worth it otherwise a supercharged....bought my wife the first 2015 redesigned Cayenne with a turbo diesel and have been thrilled...its quiet, very fast (faster and quieter then the gas 6) and she does mostly highway and get 34mpg...oil changes are a bit more frequent and requires the blue diesel additives...but since the price is the same as plus grade per gallon it works for us...and btw Porsche has the same features as other models vs RR which will prob strip the truck to the basics...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:09 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
And the limited scope of diesel models offered by manufacturers has a lot to do with the limited number of large local governments who do not penalize for diesel imports.

I also don't think for a second that those import taxes on diesels aren't a derivative of the majority gasoline refining capacity in the USA. I mean often times the diesel engine is a $6K option for no very good reason.

I am a bit biased because I have been driving VW TDIs for almost a decade and have always appreciated 40mpg. Even my current TDI sportwagen returns almost 36 combined, consistently and I am driving it pretty hard.
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:18 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Reason to run an old diesel: #onewireforthewin
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:41 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Diesels received a bad reputation in the 70s, when there fuel lines during the Oil Embargo.

GM attempted to sell cars with Diesel engines that were essentially V8 gas engines which could not withstand the stress. Most blew apart.

They were unreliable, slow and noisy. Americans didn't like that and placed a stigma on diesels.

What many people didn't know is you could convert the Oldsmobile diesel 350 back into gas and have an engine with like 12:1 compression and no emissions devices.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel, range rover