Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 15th, 2015, 01:45 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
2016 Jeep Diesel Engine

Guys,

Haven't been on this site in a year or so, and this might have been talked about already, but has anybody been talking about swapping their engine with the upcoming 2016 Jeep diesel engine? I would suspect that the size wouldn't be an issue, however, I would guess that the tranny and drivetrain would have to be swapped as well.

Same old issue with my D110 soft top: I want to drop the old engine and replace it. Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Any ideas on this new engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

As new as the engine is, it's a big unknown at this point. Lots of these late model engines are paired so heavily to vehicle that it sometimes takes quite a while before anyone cracks the code of getting them to run standalone.

Plus most people would probably view putting a Jeep engine in a Rover as sacrilege. What do you have against the existing diesel options that are proven?

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:00 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Is it not a VM diesel engine? LR already used VM's

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2015, 02:06 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
As new as the engine is, it's a big unknown at this point. Lots of these late model engines are paired so heavily to vehicle that it sometimes takes quite a while before anyone cracks the code of getting them to run standalone.

Plus most people would probably view putting a Jeep engine in a Rover as sacrilege. What do you have against the existing diesel options that are proven?

-Ash

I don't care about being a purist. I want my truck to be reliable and have a new engine. My current engine is an '83 Rover gasser. My other 2 trucks are diesels, and I want to be able to drive my D110 without fear of breaking down, stranding me on the side of a trail or road, leaking, and just being a PITA to source parts, service, etc. etc.

My old engine, as simple as it is, is too complex for mechanics nowadays. Especially being foreign built. I want to be able to drive my truck up, get it fixed/serviced and back on the road. I could give 2 sh*ts about keeping that old engine.

200 tdi, 300tdi, etc., are older engines. And finding one at a reasonable price is like finding a unicorn while scuba diving in Arizona.

I just want to end the ancient foreign engine woes. Because to be honest, it keeps me from driving the damn truck.

Old June 15th, 2015, 02:08 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Didn't Ash do work on the truck a few years back? Still can't believe after all that work you kept that engine! Hadn't you said you have quite a bit into the work on the engine, too?
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:13 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Didn't Ash do work on the truck a few years back? Still can't believe after all that work you kept that engine! Hadn't you said you have quite a bit into the work on the engine, too?
Good memory bro. Yea, I did some work myself on the engine. I basically took the truck, had safari-rover upgrade it, and rolled the dice on the heart, because the engine was "ok" about 7 years ago. I think Ash did do some work on the truck a long time ago.

The weather is getting awesome out, and I want to use my truck. Rijosho: you're a good snooper, any deals on engines out there? If so, PM me. You've always been good on the hunt.

Old June 15th, 2015, 02:13 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
An engine from a 2016 Jeep? Electronics, emissions devices, and the such.

How about an older Toyota diesel. Get a half cut and strip it and transplant the parts into the Rover. You get Toyota dependability and parts that may still be available.

Check out Diesel Toyz website.
www.dieseltoyz.com
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ryan: Ignoring the fact that there are several diesels that Jeep has used over the last few years and you're probably attracted to the V6 thats in the Cherokee and Ram trucks, my biggest concern is just getting the chosen engine to bolt up to the gearbox.
After that its a matter of convincing state/DOT/EPA that what you did is legal.

Don't forget the 3.2 diesel from the Transit. the big brother to the 4 cylinder used in the Defender.
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:19 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Ryan: Ignoring the fact that there are several diesels that Jeep has used over the last few years and you're probably attracted to the V6 thats in the Cherokee and Ram trucks, my biggest concern is just getting the chosen engine to bolt up to the gearbox.
After that its a matter of convincing state/DOT/EPA that what you did is legal.

Don't forget the 3.2 diesel from the Transit. the big brother to the 4 cylinder used in the Defender.
Rocky,

Thanks for your thoughts as well. That's what I was getting at, I guess time will tell and there's maybe a .01% that it would bolt up to the gearbox, but probably not.

As for the legality. I know that it's been covered ad nauseum, but, how can you satisfy the legality of the issue with an engine swap? If your engine "craps out" on you, you would have to have it replaced. Is the issue that the vehicle must retain original specs? If so, then every single diesel conversion guy out there would be out of luck. Do you have to stay with a like-for-like engine, engine from same timeframe, or is there an additional step you have to take in converting a truck to having a different powertrain?

Old June 15th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I remember thinking the same thing! The truck was definitely a slouch with those big tires and stock gearing.

Ryan, it's not so much about being a purist as it is finding a drivetrain swap that is feasible. There are several of us running GM LS engines in our trucks, those that have gone the VW, Mercedes, International diesel route etc, so it's definitely not just about staying Land Rover. The problem is most people don't realize how insanely involved a full blown driveline swap can be, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys go all in on an uncharted swap only to find themselves about 60% done and too overwhelmed to continue.

Not to discourage you, but unless you're in a position to throw loads of money at someone to figure it out, or have the time and serious mechanical/electrical knowledge to do the conversion yourself, I would highly suggest taking an established route. The Tdi's are commonplace here in the US now, and you really shouldn't have any issue whatsoever with parts availability or finding a competent mechanic to work on one. That aside, the LS is a killer platform that has several well documented conversions if you want something more 'standard' in the US, plus a couple more horespower.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old June 15th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Why not just do the 2.8 international engine? You can find the parts and it is a better performer than the 300. You could also do the Td5 or even the Td4 if you are looking for a newer set-up. The new Jeep diesel engines are made by the supplier that provides them for Fiat. They have both the particulate filter and blue injection. Since this is a new configuration it will be difficult to manage these systems and or bypass them.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:00 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Ford Transit 5 cylinder diesel - there are some guys in England transplanting them into 110's already.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
Ford Transit 5 cylinder diesel - there are some guys in England transplanting them into 110's already.
Thats what I said. Motor and Diesel Engineering is a company you need to talk with about adapters

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel, engine