2015 Defender Assembly - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 10th, 2015, 10:46 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
There was one thing I did find interesting while watching that video for the third time, the outer wings are fastened to the top/inner wing using screws and spiraloc nuts instead of all the 1/4" or 6mm bolts, nuts, flat washers, and spring washers.

The only thing I could not see, is the outer wing mounting lip flanged where the spiraloc nuts are fitted or is the gap more noticeable to the ISS.

Seeing I have my air flanger out for another job I am going to give this a try as I am about to refit the wings. This should cut fitting/removal time to minutes instead of hours.
Attached Images

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2015, 12:13 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
One of the coolest Defender videos I've seen! That line of bulkheads, the spot welder hanging from the top, the jigs for the frame, the guy doing final tweaks on the body before paint. The only part I wasn't too keen on was that new dash. But if it had airbags and I could have a new one in the US I'd live with it :D

I hope the tooling goes to a good home when LR is done with it. Actually, what I would really love to see is a group buy the tooling and keep producing them. If a Jeep can be made for the US market I am sure a Defender could be changed enough to be US compliant as well. And if G Wagen's can sell for over $100k why can't a new Defender sell for that? But the new Defender would have a story: hand built (although I believe the G's are hand built too). You have an advert right there in that video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
This is amazing. I've toured the Volvo factory in Gothenburg Sweden, the Mini Cooper factory in Oxford UK, did a two week internship at the Porsche factory in Stuttgart Germany, and spent six weeks at the Lockheed aircraft factory in Merietta Georgia. IMHO Land Rovers approach to building the Defender is closer to hand building aircraft than mass producing cars.
Interesting connection with Defenders being like aircraft production. I guess with the aluminum skins too. You know many would pay dearly for a 2 week internship at Porsche! I am not sure how you wen to sleep at night.
Old February 18th, 2015, 01:15 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
another fun thing:
http://silodrome.com/land-rover-defe...oduction-line/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
anyone else watch that video and play "name that part" as it rolled through the factory!!!
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
airbags
I heard recently that the Defender bulkhead wasn't considered strong enough to support airbags and ensure correct operation. Hence their continued absence.
Old February 18th, 2015, 04:39 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I heard recently that the Defender bulkhead wasn't considered strong enough to support airbags and ensure correct operation. Hence their continued absence.
They are pretty flexy. If LR used thicker gauge material from the get go maybe it would be strong enough and as a big plus not rust so easily!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
assembly, defender