Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
2014 healthcare costs

fortunately I'm on military tricare through my active guard status, but my civilian employer provided healthcare costs just took off. I'd be looking at $10k annual to cover my family if I wasn't with tricare through employer sponsored Aetna, with a #3-4k out of pocket.

Is ANYONE seeing the lower healthcare costs going into 2014 the President is claiming?

Moderators, please move this thread directly to the Mudpit with all due haste.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
I'm at an international company w/60k employees, and HR just announced a 3% increase from last year w/no significant benefit changes. Way surprised that it was such a small increase. Not trying to make a political statement. Likely had more to do with the HR department than anything in the government.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:11 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

sounds like your company employer is just doing what others have already done, push costs onto the employee. I already pay $9400 for a family of three with $3000 family deductible or $1500 individual ded. Only pays for generic drugs etc etc.
Welcome to 'Merica.
the healthcare law will hopefully lower costs in the long term, but it isn't going to happen in the first year. Especially when big healthcare and big business is against the law. It's in their best interest to keep costs high so they can say See told you so.
It's the moronic view of life, much like the Tea Party. Let's cut off our nose to spite our face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2013, 10:18 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
sounds like your company employer is just doing what others have already done, push costs onto the employee.
White Castle had the best solution. Don't change anything for their full time employees(the ones they really care about) and screw over the part timers completely by cutting their hours and benefits! The other thing they decided to do was open less restaurants for potential growth and local job growth. Down from 9 to 2 stores per year.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
sounds like your company employer is just doing what others have already done, push costs onto the employee.
Likely - and next year, anything could happen. Our total premium cost is about $19,236 for a family of four.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

as the HR guy for my company, we saw an increase of 23% percent for one plan and 30% for another. We had to make some drastic changes to our plans and were able to control the costs, but at lower levels of coverage - higher deductibles, higher copays, etc. We are a small company at only 80 employees.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:36 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
sounds like your company employer is just doing what others have already done, push costs onto the employee. I already pay $9400 for a family of three with $3000 family deductible or $1500 individual ded. Only pays for generic drugs etc etc. Welcome to 'Merica. the healthcare law will hopefully lower costs in the long term, but it isn't going to happen in the first year. Especially when big healthcare and big business is against the law. It's in their best interest to keep costs high so they can say See told you so. It's the moronic view of life, much like the Tea Party. Let's cut off our nose to spite our face.
Really? So adding tens of millions of currently uninsured and non-qualifying will result in lower health care costs in the long term? Rigght. This kind of talk is unfreakin believable.

Wealth Re-Distribution.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Guys, don't you get it? Obama and the rest of the politicians don't give a shit about the working man. They have their own separate healthcare. In the not so distant future, we are going to be taxed beyond all reason! They need more money for foreign aid! This country needs some serious reform. Our "leaders" are driving us into the ground.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Donaldson View Post
as the HR guy for my company, we saw an increase of 23% percent for one plan and 30% for another. We had to make some drastic changes to our plans and were able to control the costs, but at lower levels of coverage - higher deductibles, higher copays, etc. We are a small company at only 80 employees.
Was that just for this year? Was it as bad in previous years? Our HR department has been great about keeping costs low, even though last year was about a 12% increase. The nice thing is that most people credit them with the good stuff and blame the market for bad.. As it should be.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
Guys, don't you get it? Obama and the rest of the politicians don't give a shit about the working man. They have their own separate healthcare. In the not so distant future, we are going to be taxed beyond all reason! They need more money for foreign aid! This country needs some serious reform. Our "leaders" are driving us into the ground.
You do realize that foreign aid is essentially rounding error in the budget right?

I mean, the idea that entitlement programs need reform is legitimate in it's own right but making remarks like that don't help the cause.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

How a company handles healthcare expenses is each to its own. I puzzle over the wide variations posted here.

Perhaps someone at Mark's shop isn't doing their job or alternatively, their healthcare expenses are disproportionate to the general population.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Our HSA plan went up 4% and our PPO went up 23%. Company also said the PPO will end after this year.

I've spent the last three years helping states implement the ACA. The ACA is nothing but redistribution of income. There is NOTHING in the law that will reduce healthcare costs. Nada, zip, zero. The last couple of years have all been about getting insurance for the 'uninsured'. What everyone fails to see is that all these newly insured are going to start consuming services like someonelse is paying for it which is true for most.

So the next crisis will be about cost of care, which is going to skyrocket as 40 million more people start getting treatment and drugs. Then the rationing will have to start.

The ACA was designed from the beginning to fail. It's a step on the path to single payer. It puts everyone into private insurance then creates a structure where the insurance companies can't succeed. The only answer when that crisis comes is single payer. That's the end goal.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Our HSA plan went up 4% and our PPO went up 23%. Company also said the PPO will end after this year.

I've spent the last three years helping states implement the ACA. The ACA is nothing but redistribution of income. There is NOTHING in the law that will reduce healthcare costs. Nada, zip, zero. The last couple of years have all been about getting insurance for the 'uninsured'. What everyone fails to see is that all these newly insured are going to start consuming services like someonelse is paying for it which is true for most.

So the next crisis will be about cost of care, which is going to skyrocket as 40 million more people start getting treatment and drugs. Then the rationing will have to start.

The ACA was designed from the beginning to fail. It's a step on the path to single payer. It puts everyone into private insurance then creates a structure where the insurance companies can't succeed. The only answer when that crisis comes is single payer. That's the end goal.
100% true. And all this will be administered by the IRS.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
My family healthcare plan went up 19% this year and is up 68% since 2009. No joke. But my out of pocket is "only" $5100 this year so my employer is picking up a big part of the tab (about 70%).
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
ugghhhh

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
Was that just for this year? Was it as bad in previous years? Our HR department has been great about keeping costs low, even though last year was about a 12% increase. The nice thing is that most people credit them with the good stuff and blame the market for bad.. As it should be.
That was just going into our new plan year - Sep 2013 - Aug 2014. I have never had increases like that. last year I believe we had a 10% increase and made no significant changes. Year before was around 12% and we did change some things to control costs, but nothing significant. This year we added deductibles for the first time, though we have done some pretty generous things to control even that cost. My company prides itself on our benefits to the employees, but when costs come down like this, everyone needs to share in the pain.
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:28 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Anyone else notice that there are major limits on HSA contributions now? Legally I can't even put enough in to cover my deductibles and copays for next year !!!!!

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:32 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

It doesn't make sense, fiscally, that we will now have more people with coverage, that will be using those 'benefits' at a discounted rate (because of insurance), and it will save us money. It's just more people taking from the well.
Maybe I should discourage my wife to take that E.R. nursing job? She thinks it will be good experience, I think it will be a shitshow.
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
It's scary to think what heathcare csosts will be in the next few years. I run a small business and pay for the healthcare, my costs increases double-digit percentage increases every year beginning when "Romney-care" was signed into law (google Romney's Massachusetts mandated healthcare if you're not from around here - Obamacare is loosely based on that the way I understand it).

However, this year my premium actually decreased like 5%. I don't know what to attribute that to, but supposedly, the long term premise behind any of these mandated healthcare acts is that if everyone has access to (and is forced to subscribe) to a plan, then thoretically, they will engage in pre-emptive care. The highest healthcare costs are seen among the least heealthy (that makes sense) and theoretically if those people took care of themselves earlier in life then the providers would not be shelling out huge amounts of money to keep them alive.

Based on that, I don't see healthcare costs going down anywhere in the near future. More like the opposite, until (if it works) the general population is healthier as a whole in 5-10 years. Unlikely given the American way of life, but the way I understand it, that is what they are trying to accomplish. Maybe healthcare costs and permiums increase 5-10% annually over the next five years then stabilize?

I don't know, but from my perspective I feel like I pay $20,000 per year so that the obese assholes can continue to eat McDonalds and smoke cigarettes while we pay to keep them alive. It's a separate argument, but it should be like "hey, if you're fat and get diabetes, you're on your own pal" or if you get lung cancer from smoking it should be your own out-of-pocket expense! Same for other totally preventable diseases and conditions. If we only had to pay for genetic, familial and random illnesses with insurance imagine how much we'd cut costs. Completely unrealistic I understand. Just saying that it sucks when I hemmorage cash to pay for a family health plan and I watch some 300lb lady with a giant shopping cart full of shit-food leaving Wal-Mart. I look at her (or him) as a giant cash vacuum on society.
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
javelinadave
-
-

This social experiment failed miserably in the EU. Why would anybody think it's going to be any different here. Progressives will be the death of the US, not Iran, the PRK or any other foreign entity.
I just watched Nancy Pelosi's press conference where she blamed the Republican house for not working with her. Did she even look at a Republican when she jammed Obama Care thru the house.
Harry Reid later blasted the House about their most recent budget proposal. This from a guy who violated the Constitution by NOT proposing a budget for 4+ years.
Then there is the Supreme leader himself who when he was a senator refused to vote to up the debt ceiling stating that a competent leader wouldn't need to do that.

We are screwed!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat