2014 healthcare costs - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
The ACA is not about health care or costs. It is about control. Period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:46 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
That is a scary proposition, who would decide what constitutes risk and how much they pay?

If you have a family history of medical issues does that make you high risk?
If you have had cancer and survived does that make you high risk?
If you rock climb does that make you high risk?
People that work around carcinogens?
Smokers? Ex-Smokers? Drug users? People that consume alcohol? People that are overweight?

How much money do you assign each risk factor and how much for each type of risk
These are all modeled for life insurance policies ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:48 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
The ACA is not about health care or costs. It is about control. Period.
yep ... control of government ... and the agenda of policy making through Hillary's 8 years in the white house ... and the Republicans are gifting it ... wrapped up in a bow of incompetence.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Dave,

You hit the nail on the head. All of those things you listed can be readily accounted for by insurance companies and who can charge risk based premiums. The problem is that, unless you work for a corporation or government, if you were high risk you did not have coverage because in the private market you could not afford coverage. This hit older people, people with pre existing conditions and other rationally more expensive things (is women get pregnant, men don't).

All gone under Obamacare. Oh and about the quality of the plans available, if you were a high user of healthcare, would you pay a little more for the gold plan? Of course. The best plans will be gone in a year or two as the market forces destroy them.

All Obamacare is is taking money from young and healthy and wealthy and giving it to the the sick and old and poor.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
And once the government is in control of your health care, they will control you in ways you never imagined.
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:33 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
On top of all the other bullshit, what pissed me off about Obama-care is that you now have to pay a fee if you don't want it, which is the biggest handjob yet.
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
On top of all the other bullshit, what pissed me off about Obama-care is that you now have to pay a fee if you don't want it, which is the biggest handjob yet.
That would be Obama's base in his election. The young single healthy college grad idealist living in a an apartment and tweeting hope and change from their nest at starbucks.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
That would be Obama's base in his election. The young single healthy college grad idealist living in a an apartment and tweeting hope and change from their nest at starbucks.
I know ya'll are busy losing the last election here (again) but for the sake of pointing it out, that's not exactly the electorate that handed the right it's ass (again). It's a portion to be sure, but if you want to start looking at red states/blue states you have to go a bit deeper.

To get it out of the way, its also not the welfare recipients en masse that were responsible either. Those voters are, generally (like the above generalization) are more likely to be in a red state; the same red state that likely takes more in Fed tax dollars than it provides, or is less educated than most blue states, or more likely to be overweight.

So to keep with the generalizations I guess the young single healthy college grad living within their means defeated the older, unhealthy, overweight, GED earned, credit card roulette playing trailer trash. (ironically the same people most likely to benefit from the ACA)

But that's just generalizations drawn from the statistical examination of red and blue states.
r-
Ray
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

So, now the government is responsible for every facet of someone's life. Personal responsibility and accountability are gone?

Old October 16th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
I know ya'll are busy losing the last election here (again) but for the sake of pointing it out, that's not exactly the electorate that handed the right it's ass (again). It's a portion to be sure, but if you want to start looking at red states/blue states you have to go a bit deeper.

To get it out of the way, its also not the welfare recipients en masse that were responsible either. Those voters are, generally (like the above generalization) are more likely to be in a red state; the same red state that likely takes more in Fed tax dollars than it provides, or is less educated than most blue states, or more likely to be overweight.

So to keep with the generalizations I guess the young single healthy college grad living within their means defeated the older, unhealthy, overweight, GED earned, credit card roulette playing trailer trash. (the same people most likely to benefit from the ACA)

But that's just generalizations drawn from the statistical examination of red and blue states.
r-
Ray
Generalizations and statistics aside, the blue states have seemingly embraced the notion of being a serf and are actively driving this country down the road to serfdom. Whereas perhaps the red stater wants to be free to be an older, unhealthy, overweight, GED earned, credit card roulette playing trailer trash. (the same people most likely to benefit from the ACA) as you label them but not expect someone else to pay for the lifestyle.

Raub
Old October 16th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:
Generalizations and statistics aside, the blue states have seemingly embraced the notion of being a serf and are actively driving this country down the road to serfdom. Whereas perhaps the red stater wants to be free to be an older, unhealthy, overweight, GED earned, credit card roulette playing trailer trash. (the same people most likely to benefit from the ACA) as you label them but not expect someone else to pay for the lifestyle.

Raub
Perhaps, but the idea that they don't have others paying for their lifestyle is a misnomer. Both in terms of individuals receiving welfare and in terms of the state's receiving more in tax dollars than they contribute.

I'm sure the red states are just overlooking that though, and the Republicans are on the verge of balancing that all back out even if it's detrimental to their constituency.
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
The road to serfdom is paved with good intentions. I do find it funny that today's "liberals" put fort such tyrannical laws as the ACA. There is no liberty of any kind in what "liberals" want to do to their fellow citizens. Domination and control is all that will result, assuming the ACA dosen't collapse the government first. Central planning has never worked nor will it ever. A central planner can never account for what the individual will do to avoid, counter act or subvert repressive laws. Any free man ought to recoil in horror at the very thought of the government and especially the IRS having acess to and controlling their health care. I do not, nor will I ever understand the desire of a large portion of this country to be a slave.
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:18 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
http://poorrichardsnews.com/post/637...-obamacare-for
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Tyranny...oh dear, here we go. One step from the Khmer Rouge.

Central planning actually does work, BTW, and it works pretty damn well for a lot of things but if the narrative you want to believe takes you back to the Articles of Confederation as a heyday than by all means run with it.

There is a lot more faith in the ability of the government to achieve domination and control over anything than there is actual capability inherent within the government (and intent) to achieve it. Anyone who has actually been in the gov't knows that intuitively.

That's not saying the ACA is the best thing in programatic legislative history, but on the other hand the ruin of this country is likely not going going to come from it either-all the hysterical rhetoric aside.
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Quote:
The road to serfdom is paved with good intentions. I do find it funny that today's "liberals" put fort such tyrannical laws as the ACA. There is no liberty of any kind in what "liberals" want to do to their fellow citizens. Domination and control is all that will result, assuming the ACA dosen't collapse the government first. Central planning has never worked nor will it ever. A central planner can never account for what the individual will do to avoid, counter act or subvert repressive laws. Any free man ought to recoil in horror at the very thought of the government and especially the IRS having acess to and controlling their health care. I do not, nor will I ever understand the desire of a large portion of this country to be a slave.
Well said.

Ray, I love that this is now being spun into the Republicans fault. The problem is that people are scumbags, whether they are from poor inner cities, or trailer trash. I would love to cut their 'benefits' by 1/3 and setup limits for 'benefits' and term limits for politicians. If we don't clean house, we are screwed. It's not a partisan thing, it's just numbers.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee View Post
Well said.

Ray, I love that this is now being spun into the Republicans fault. The problem is that people are scumbags, whether they are from poor inner cities, or trailer trash. I would love to cut their 'benefits' by 1/3 and setup limits for 'benefits' and term limits for politicians. If we don't clean house, we are screwed. It's not a partisan thing, it's just numbers.
Which part is the Republican's fault? The shutdown and possible default? We can talk about the MSM or 'low info voters' and the like all we want, but Jon Stewart said it best-just own it (i.e. that is the Republican's fault).

If we're talking about our financial house being out of order-a broader subject-then both sides are to blame here (hence my earlier comment about the ACA costing about as much as OIF-something we also did on the credit card).

The broader point with that I'd make is you can be as right as you want about things but if your narrative sucks in terms of how it relates to people or you have horrible strap hanging baggage its going nowhere. Welcome to the current Republican Party, and likely the future trajectory of it given the trend lines.

r-
Ray
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij

So if we hit the debt ceiling, no one gets their entitlement payments, the budget is forcibly balanced, and a bunch of government is shut down permanently.

What is the downside?
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
So if we hit the debt ceiling, no one gets their entitlement payments, the budget is forcibly balanced, and a bunch of government is shut down permanently.

What is the downside?
There is a law on the books that the Congress/US Govt has to pay its debts. So if the default deadline happens Obama potentially gets empowered to make Presidential mandates.

I see that as a downside

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
What is the downside?
AFAIK, for a tea party member, there is none.
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
There is a law on the books that the Congress/US Govt has to pay its debts. So if the default deadline happens Obama potentially gets empowered to make Presidential mandates. I see that as a downside
So he pays back bonds/t bills but entitlements are gutted and government gets smaller. Again, I fail to see the downside.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat