2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

That be the one...all the mods are on/in the registry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
ahh...never mind, the picture just makes the rear look larger than it really is.
Sounds like the lie I told my wife when she showed me a photo and said "I thought you said that outfit didn't make me look fat."
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There is one video out there with a GM engineer proudly explaining away one of their proudest achievements with the new Corvette. The front number plate mount.....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:39 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Gm copied Ferrari with the c6. Looks like they are back at it

I like this car. But they basically traced half of a 458 it looks like

------ Follow up post added January 16th, 2013 07:42 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Im dissapointed in this car, although I'd never buy a jap car, the GTR is still faster than this vette. If they want to impress me, I want to see sub 3 second 0-60 times. Preferrably less than 2.6 (Porsche 997.2 Turbo S)
15 yr old boys are the only ones who care about 0-60 times

There is so much more that should be looked at first. I'm not saying this is better than a gtr or Porsche. I'm just saying comparing 0-60 times is useless in my opinion when trying to evaluate how good a car is.
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
There is so much more that should be looked at first. I'm not saying this is better than a gtr or Porsche. I'm just saying comparing 0-60 times is useless in my opinion when trying to evaluate how good a car is.
Based on my experiences, if the car has "GM", "Ford", or "Chrysler" on it, avoid it. This is after years of owning big three cars then buying a Nissan.

Last decent US built vehicle I owned was an AMC Jeep CJ-8.
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:24 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I think GM is one of the worst auto companies out there that produces just utterly shitty products (of recent years) but I think they did a pretty solid job with the C7. 450hp out of a 6.2 it pitifully poor but I'm going to ignore that and assume the motor is heavily detuned as cost cutting measure to allow for the same block to be used in the Z06, ZR-1 and the 150 different special editions that will come out for all the fan boys. The thing is a major update looks wise and and the first real attempt to attract new buyers to the brand. Chevy will capture both the younger and the higher income buyer in addition their current legacy customers.

Complaints? Those emo-esque tear drops off the taillights and the interior. I don't know what it is with GM but they have an unbelievable ability to make some of the worst and most depressing interiors you can design in a car. The new one is a major improvement over the crap in the C6 but the steering wheel is awful and the entire package is going to be dated in a year or two. It still has that GM cheapness to it but it is a major improvement, I have to say that. All in all, the thing looks good in every color and it's the first vette I would take a hard look at buying (but I would look at a 911 first)
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:58 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
I think GM is one of the worst auto companies out there that produces just utterly shitty products (of recent years) but I think they did a pretty solid job with the C7.
x2

Quote:
450hp out of a 6.2 it pitifully poor...
450hp out of a normally aspirated pushrod motor is an amazing achievement. GM kept to their antiquated 50yr old design for a few reasons, cost being a big one, but also for the smaller footprint vs. the cammers and its ability to fit into the very low hood profile of the vette. It is impressive at how small this 6.2L is compared to Fords Coyote 5.0L (a phenomenal motor, best V-8 out there IMHO) and BMWs N62 and S65.
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:24 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Well yes it's an impressive achievement when you consider it's a 50 year old design but for me as a consumer, that's not a legitimate comparison. "Yeah this new corvette engine is way better than the corvette engine when it first came out". You need to compete against far more sophisticated cars. Even naturally aspirated, if you slapped on modern engine tech onto that much displacement you should be getting a lot more output. Porsche gets 500 whp out of 3.8L. BMW gets 414 out of 4.0L all NA but we only squeeze 450 at the crank out of 6.2?
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:08 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Agree, but a blown boxer motor or OHC v-8 would not even come close to fitting into the engine compartment of the new Vette. Perhaps we are left to conclude that GM is irrationally devoted to a dated engine architecture suited to the limited run Vette where the Camaro, Tahoe, etc., could easily accommodate OHC heads with their higher hoods and beltlines. The one time GM tried to get exotic (the LT5), they farmed out the development to Lotus. LOL
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

The motor in the GT3 is NA, no turbos and what blows my mind is that motor is TINY. Good point on not fitting it in the engine bay, hadn't considered that but maybe we can hope for OHC whenever the LS8 or 9 or whatever comes along. Is the LT5 the Iroc Camaro?
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The 90s ZR-1 with the OHV heads. Thinking that was 375 HP when it debuted. The GT3 is in a completely different league. Wow, imagine if that ride was for sale here at base Vette prices? The motor alone probably costs more than that.
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:14 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Guy I race with has an RSR (which is total different planet of awesome) and that thing is so tweaked out he only gets about 40-50 hours out of the motor before it's due for a full rebuild. In current tune it does 650 whp out of 3.8L, Naturally Aspirated on 110 leaded fuel. Each rebuild.. 45 grand.

Even with Trump money I couldn't imagine spending that kind of cash that often but when it's running.. oh man it's amazing
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
There is so much more that should be looked at first. I'm not saying this is better than a gtr or Porsche. I'm just saying comparing 0-60 times is useless in my opinion when trying to evaluate how good a car is.[/QUOTE]

Ever watched the stock Z06 or the ZR1 run the Nurburgring? Pretty impressive - even without 0-60 times

The ZR1 is even better...

GM definitely needs help in many areas! But for the reasonable cost of an entry coupe, and the performance they give, they're a pretty tough car to beat for the money...Not to mention the long term ownership cost...My stock Z06 will run like the car in the video and has only cost me gas and oil since purchase, with no trips to the dealership. Not many Pcars out there that will do that...and we won't even discuss Ferrari ownership costs...

GM provides a LOT of performance for the money...Just my opinion
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
I think GM is one of the worst auto companies out there that produces just utterly shitty products (of recent years) but I think they did a pretty solid job with the C7.
I know it's on the opposite end of the spectrum but I've been happy with my Suburban. The one complaint I do have is going to the Chevy dealer for service. They seem stuck in the '70-80's mind set to f**k the customer. When I had Audi's (and even with the Rangie now) I had no problem getting a loaner car or at least a ride to and from home. And the waiting room at both the local dealers is crappy at best. No wifi, old ass 15" TV, for shit seating - never mind having a business center set up so I could bring a laptop and do work/surf D-90.com. The only saving grace to the shitty feeling I get going there is the bill isn't all that bad. I had a issue with them recently and just gave up as the cost of the issue was pretty much peanuts. Compare that to always paying a crap-ton when the Rovers go in.
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:46 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
The corvette, in all its trims are hands down the best performance value you can get. Nobody can attempt to argue that. There is a reason they are by far the most common car at track days

Parts are almost mustang fox body cheap to boot.

Ill take 450hp out of a 6l pushrod all day long. It won't break, it will go like hell, and its half the cost of a comparably performing import.
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:00 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

It is growing on me.
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Looks like a Nissan GTR to me. I like it though.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I think the new corvette will at first get a lot of attention but it'll die down quickly afterward just like the rest of the vettes.

Robert Deniro
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilder View Post
Looks like a Nissan GTR to me. I like it though.
just saw one of these in town this weekend, and you are right they are similar.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat