Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Stickfigure
Lori
2013 LR4

Smile 2013 LR4 -set up for towing?

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone can share info on your towing set up? I googled a question and a thread on here popped up. (Gotta love google) so I joined...

We have a 2013 LR4, with the camera option, and I am currently trying to get it set up to tow a lightweight travel trailer...

So far I have ordered the Curt hitch receiver for the higher tongue weight and was just looking at brake controllers (going with the P3 tek) What else did you find you needed in your set up? The truck is not here, so I was not sure if it is prewired for the brake controller either?? Do I need that wiring harness ??

If anyone can share any helpful info, it would be greatly appreciated!

I am the wife doing all the research... So please don't mind my lady questions... Lol

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Welcome!

I don't know about the LR4, but I am sure someone will have an answer for you.
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
The factory trailer wiring is not set up for trailer brakes. Unless you purchased the trailer wiring kit, the vehicle will likely not have it fitted. Personally, I would have gone with a genuine trailer hitch setup, as it is easy to remove and store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Men
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Stickfigure
Lori
2013 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
The factory trailer wiring is not set up for trailer brakes. Unless you purchased the trailer wiring kit, the vehicle will likely not have it fitted. Personally, I would have gone with a genuine trailer hitch setup, as it is easy to remove and store.
Ok thanks, so I need that too... Any suggestions on which one?

Yes, we already have the removable hitch. The tongue weight on it only allows a max of 550#, hence the reason for the curt which allows 600-800# if used with weight distrib. hitch...( i ordered a propride)
Actually the Curt was the only other hitch available for the LR4, that I found anyway.....and it does stink that it's bolted on and you loose your full size spare space, but we needed a stronger hitch......so anyway, I guess we will be selling the dealer hitch (the genuine one ) and we just got it too !

As for the wiring kit, that's what i need to figure out..
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:45 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Buy the LR4 genuine wiring harness. You should not need a brake controller for a light trailer. Vehicle will tow 7700 pounds with trailer brakes, but that's a big trailer. Surge brakes generally will be fine and genuine wiring harness will control those.
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
The brake controller will have to be wired into the light check module because it is not a 12V signal sent to the brake lights.
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:33 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
The Lr3 is pre wired for an electric tailer breaker controller as long as you are using the factory tow harness. It uses the same plug as a late model ford/lincoln/mercury. I can only assume the lr4 is the same. The plug for the controller is tucked up somewhere by the steering column.
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The LR4 is the same. You just need the factory wiring harness which you can install yourself by removing the spare time (sounds like you already have), and a bit of cursing. Then like Ryan says you just get a standard off the shelf brake controller with a plug that matches and you are all set.

What's your idea of light? I would have thought the stock hitch would be fine too.
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
The LR4 is the same. You just need the factory wiring harness which you can install yourself by removing the spare time (sounds like you already have), and a bit of cursing. Then like Ryan says you just get a standard off the shelf brake controller with a plug that matches and you are all set. What's your idea of light? I would have thought the stock hitch would be fine too.
The plug for a P3 is the same as the one for a Ford F150, take the right panel On the footwell,
Plug it in ad you are good to go

My BC is mounted below the steering wheel, worked awesome towing jet ski, snowmobiles or boat
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:06 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?keywo...trailer+wiring

Call and ask to talk to Eric. I think the first two are what you need. If you click on the controller you can see an install video.
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Stickfigure
Lori
2013 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
Buy the LR4 genuine wiring harness. You should not need a brake controller for a light trailer. Vehicle will tow 7700 pounds with trailer brakes, but that's a big trailer. Surge brakes generally will be fine and genuine wiring harness will control those.
Thanks for the replies..

What size trailer would not need a brake controller installed ? The trailer will be about 6500#, but the tongue weight is closer to 800#.

The dealer quoted $396. To install and supply the wiring harness, plus the computer update thats needed... Then we need the P3... Then we should be set ???

Does anyone here tow anything this size? Curious to your experience...
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
The factory wiring has the wire that sends power to the trailer, but there is no spot for the signal wire for the brake controller IIRC.
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

A word of caution on the p3 controller. Make sure you have it installed level or near level where ever you put it.
I had quickly attached mine and went on a road trip, wedging it in the steering column gap so it was more or less vertical and because of it boost feature that helps brake in an emergency under a hard brake it locked up my trailer tires and I got a huge flat spot in one of the tires. And overall it was just acting weird.

I was thinking of my experience with simpler controllers when I installed mine. Get it mounted, adjust the dial to where the brakes are grabbing just right and you're set. So orientation on some modules doesn't matter. This unit is a lot smarter than a standard unit. So install it correctly before use. It's a great controller. 2 of my friends have them on their tow rigs and it's great.

The install + part price on the unit doesn't sound bad for a dealer. Alone the part is 200 + at the dealer and it takes about an hour to do. Well it shouldn't for them, dealers are dealers. The install on LR3 was pretty easy but I didn't have to have any reprogramming.
Pete
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Stickfigure
Lori
2013 LR4

Thanks again for all the help. My appt. is tomorrow for the wiring, I will see what they say about the brake controller when I go as well. Hope that's all I need for a sturdy & safe tow!
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:10 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Interested to find out what you did. I considered getting an LR3 setup for towing and with on-board computer changes required and special wiring adaptor to put on the truck, that LR3 ended up being setup at the dealership.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickfigure View Post
Thanks again for all the help. My appt. is tomorrow for the wiring, I will see what they say about the brake controller when I go as well. Hope that's all I need for a sturdy & safe tow!
Who is doing the wiring? Some trailer shops will try to install a brake controller, and it doesn't work properly. The dealership should be able to do it since they'll have the wiring diagrams.
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:35 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I am confused why people are talking about computer programming and wiring diagrams. I did this on my LR4. You just install the harness which takes no skill other than patience or small hands, and you plug in a controller. Done.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:33 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
European wiring diagram: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/disp...bum=1809&pos=4
Discussion about wiring: http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic39286...iring+computer (and include NAS wiring details).

Computer programming affects the air suspension, the rear backup sensors, etc. LR3 was setup at dealership, I have not seen/driven it since it got setup. This is just what I remember from looking into this a year ago.

On the LR4, there is a "tow assist" functionality that is only avail when computer "knows" there is a trailer (whatever that means) and this is activated. No first hand experience on this since...

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic46304...ailer+computer
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM
Stickfigure
Lori
2013 LR4

i am having the wiring harness installed at the dealer today. Thursday, I am having a Curt receiver hitch installed to increase my tongue weight capacity to max 800, using weight distribution hitch (pro-pride)

The brake controller we will do ourselves...

as far as the computer programming, I believe it's set up to assist in towing, on screen trailer reverse, hitch assist etc. ??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr4, wing