2010 LR model openhouse in Des Moines - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

2010 LR model openhouse in Des Moines

For any of you interested, Willis Auto Campus in Clive will have the 2010 Rovers on display next tuesday the 18th from 5-8pm.
Maybe we'll see ya there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Make sure you take a bunch of pictures of the 2010 Defender

Old August 14th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

You're very funny Dave !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:36 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

L O L
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:44 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

Did anyone actually go attend this? I rolled through the lot at about 4ish, nice and slow, and I had, I kid you not, a sales guy from Willis shout out "Nice Jeep! Is that a new JK?"

I died a little right there. ANYONE selling new Land Rovers should at least know the Cliff Notes version of the company's history-Ser. I, II, and III, Defender, Disco, RR Classic, and the new stuff. I don't expect them to be well versed on Lightweights, 101's, etc., and could care less if they knew what a Vampire or any of the other Special build stuff was. I feel like LR as a company has been on a downward spiral for a long time, and I just hope it comes up for air before it's just a nameplate on another useless "SUV".

Rant off-sorry to vent...

Add: Anyone thinking I may have been a little "dense" and that the guy was kidding, one look at his face and you would have known this guy was 100% serious as the day is long...
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
He should be fired.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
He should be beat first, then fired.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dave
Did anyone actually go attend this? I rolled through the lot at about 4ish, nice and slow, and I had, I kid you not, a sales guy from Willis shout out "Nice Jeep! Is that a new JK?"

I died a little right there. ANYONE selling new Land Rovers should at least know the Cliff Notes version of the company's history-Ser. I, II, and III, Defender, Disco, RR Classic, and the new stuff. I don't expect them to be well versed on Lightweights, 101's, etc., and could care less if they knew what a Vampire or any of the other Special build stuff was. I feel like LR as a company has been on a downward spiral for a long time, and I just hope it comes up for air before it's just a nameplate on another useless "SUV".

Rant off-sorry to vent...

Add: Anyone thinking I may have been a little "dense" and that the guy was kidding, one look at his face and you would have known this guy was 100% serious as the day is long...
It's funny because i asked LR Mission Viejo if the new Disco 4 was coming with the TDV6 and i got redircted throughout the entire building and most didnt even know what a TDV6 was.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Too late.

-Jeff
about 10 years too late, since the D2 and gaylander
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dave
a sales guy from Willis shout out "Nice Jeep! Is that a new JK?"

I died a little right there. ANYONE selling new Land Rovers should at least know the Cliff Notes version of the company's history

You are kidding right?
I've bought dozens of cars over the years and the "norm" is that I already know far more about the car I am going to buy than the dealership guy does. It is a very rare salesman that actually takes the time to know the details about a vehicle, other than how to tell mommy where the vanity mirror is.
There are a few out there that are great, but these are rare finds.
As one of my mechanics said at an off road event we put on for a LR dealership, "These guys would be just at home selling washing machines as they would Rovers. They know nothing." and he is right.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:14 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

We even get the same here in the UK....

I booked my Td5 110 in for a service some time back (the "Td" bit is the giveaway here....)

The girl asks if it's diesel or petrol.....

Still, in true Neil fashion, i got to bang her for a bit, LOL!
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:21 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I would imagine that is a shared facility. I have worked for LR for 12 years and most dedicated LR sales people do know the history of LR and can tell a jeep from a LR. Of course there is always the new guy that has not been to training yet. LR does a 2 day class called "Dipped in Green" to familiarize new employees with the LR history etc. On the whole I would say LR sales people are much more informed than sales people from other brands. Although the shared facility concept pushed by Ford has watered that down a bit.

Of course only the true LR fans are going to know about the diesel versions available in Europe etc. Lets face it a US sales guide does not need to know about the TDV6 etc since we will never see that engine in the US.
I would imagine one is more likely to find a LR sales person that knows about the European versions etc. than a sales person from other brands would know about their non US models.
I consider myself a bit of a LR nerd, Anorak, whatever and have owned and driven LR's for 15 years. I always feel that I am the exception in the LR dealership world, but then I go to some training class and meet other sales people that are just as nerdy as me. so there is a love for the brand in many dealerships around the country. kelley at LR Nashville is a good example.
don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Monkeyboy

And I still haven't figured out why I'm not on their mailing list

What a bunch of yahoos
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

I made it there about 6:45 last night. They had a really nice 2010 green autobiograghy range rover which I fell ijnstantly in love with. Once the guys from LRNA caught wind that I had my D-90 outside, they dropped everything and headed out to check it out.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I read an article in LR Lifestyle about the product team for LRNA, and how between the three of them, one owns an NAS 90 that he drives daily, and the other has a project RRC that he also drives regularly, I would say that most of the company knows the heritage. It's the sales force that is the outlier with their "only what I need to know to close the deal" attitude. Most of them bounce around from dealer to dealer; Hundai's last month, aspiring to sell premium cars (they don't care which). It's the salesmen that have been with the brand for years that will know something about the heritage, and I think in cities tied to more outdoor related lifestyles, that you will find the dealers with more appreciation for Rover's and what they can do.

I would suspect that if I went to a Toyota dealership in an FJ40, they would probably think it's a jeep as well.

The fact that Rover still makes the Defender virtually unchanged for as long as they have, tells me they think it's damn good enough to not mess with. LRNA is just a breadbasket to let the company focus on it's international brand reputation and sells elsewhere. Having a diverse product set hitting several different markets is in my opinion a good strategy to survive.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I read an article in LR Lifestyle about the product team for LRNA, and how between the three of them, one owns an NAS 90 that he drives daily, and the other has a project RRC that he also drives regularly, I would say that most of the company knows the heritage.
You're right. It's unfair of me to shake a finger at the LRNA staff...consider my opinions limited to local sales / management.

I did have a nice, albeit short, conversation with an LRNA rep in Leadville....though no one seemed to know where he went to after Wednesday???
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

One of the guys that is traveling around from dealer to dealer doing 2010 LR training is Tim Hensley, who won the Camel Trophy for the USA in '93. I just thought I would throw that out there since I met him a few weeks ago when we had the '10s on display in Winnetka.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
All I have to say about the D90, is when they changed the dash in the Classic it was downhill for that truck ever after.
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

Eric, I wish I would have known you were going to be there! I would have come back in just to meet up with you!

Matt Willis called me a few months ago on that Autobiography-I picked up a new '08 RR FF last fall and he said it would be "...just the ticket for a Landrover enthusiast such as yourself." He knew that I had gotten rid of my RR a few months earlier after Tata took the reins. I know it's just me, and probably the same as racial profiling, but I just could no longer own a vehicle that is "durable enough to be unreliable for several decades" whose warranty was going to be honored by a company whose claim to fame was making the world's cheapest production car. Maybe when Land Rover gets sold off again I'll look at a newer Rover to add to the garage again, but for now I'm sticking with my "JK"...
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
All I have to say about the D90, is when they changed the dash in the Classic it was downhill for that truck ever after.
Not sure I understand you.
Did you mean when LR changed the classic dash on i.e. NAS 93-97 to the current spec dash 08 -09 dash the D90 sales went downhill?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mod