Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
2010 Ironman World Championship

I am totally and 100% soliciting your assistance. In April of this year I was the fortunate enough to win a lottery spot to the 2010 Ironman World Championship. Iíve wanted to take on the Ironman race for years and how fantastic is this that I get to do the legendary Kona race. In order to participate in Kona you basically need to win your age division in another Ironman race. The exception to this is the lottery. There are typically 4,000 lottery applications and 150 applicants are selected. This was my first lottery entry and I have a spot.

Along the way I found out about the Janus Charity Challenge. I was thinking about different charities and such trying to decide who I should raise funds for. Two weeks ago the decision was made for me. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as an adult. The juvenile jokes are a plenty and not lost on me any way J Prior to my diagnosis my training had begin to decline and I couldnít explain my excessive thirst, by excessive I mean literally 300-400 ounces of water a day, excessive urination and excessive hunger. Doctors confirmed it was type 1 diabetes with blood glucose levels that should have had me severely ill, 540 range at one point. Even with such stress on my body I was still managing to complete training sessions. My training is what kept me out of the hospital. In all of this I connected with the folks at the Barbara Davis Center.

For the Janus Charity Challenge I am raising funds to help them with the excellent work they do. The nurse told me that there are 5-8 children a week who are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I look at my 2 year old daughter and can't fathom going through this with her. There will be a cure for Diabetes and the Barbara Davis Center is working on that.

The race is October 9th, 2010, the deadline for fundraising is October 8th, 2010. Iím totally soliciting your help in getting this out to as many folks as I can. Every $5 contribution will help. The athlete that raises the most money gets a $10,000 additional contribution from Janus.

Here is the fundraising site, https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorreg/donorpledge.asp?ievent=331922&supID=301058335
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2010, 12:52 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Same happen to me 10 years ago, but i was at 740,,,, I was pounding Gatorade like it was free water, I could not pass a Water Fountain or Bathroom... Like pouring Kerosene on a fire....

Being im a severe pesimist my opinion about the Diabetes Control industry... There one of the most profitable areas of Big Pharma and no way are they going to find a cure and dump all that recurring income... Same with all the other maintenance type illnesses

Just like we wont get a 75 MPG Land Rover that will never need maintenance and never rust

Good luck to you on the Race, That's an impressive goal
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
My cousin and her Husband go to Kona every year they normally do 3-4 Ironman races a year and dozens of smaller TRI's. Congrats on the lottery win it will be one of the hardest days of your life

Good Luck
Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Definitely pulling for you on all fronts on this, Alexandra! The Ironman is by far one of (if not THE) hardest single-day sporting events ever conceived.

Try calling some local radio shows as well; it worked wonders for our MS fundraising team a few years ago.
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Wanted to say thanks to those of you that helped out. We raised enough money to get a $750 bonus from Janus.

IM week was an incredible expereince. I'm totally hooked on the sport and have signed up for two more races in 2011. Actually selling a roof rack in another thread to fun my Tri habit

Wanted to post this for ya'll to see one of the organizations that is working to help folks with Diabetes. Cool video footage of Kona and some interesting information about Diabetes. Feel free to pass it along and educate people- a lot of misinformation out there.

www.TriabetesMediaProject.org

Old November 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Hey congratulations on your result. It's too bad this wasn't a sticky; as I've just seen it today for the first time.
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I wish I would have seen this earlier too!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat