Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
2010 Disco 4 vs 2010 4runner

What do you guys think on this, i am an avid LR fan but since the Disco 2 i havent liked the look of the of the Disco. But this new 4runner looks pretty sweet. Any feedback?
THese are like the main 2 contenders i see for the offroading luxury market. (within price reasoning)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ext_2010_4runner_v6_sr5_1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	22468   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR4.JPG.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	22469  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2009, 01:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

the price is totally different. There is a 20 k difference in the trucks. The 4 runner is ok but is a piece of crap next to the LR4.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I think if LR can be accused of "losing their way" the Toyota has lost it much worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

I have a 4runner (the TRD Supercharged one) and I absolutely love the functionality and quality of the car. That being said, the new ones are totally different so hard to say. As far as a quality built vehicle and maintenance, etc I would have to say the Toyota would be far better than any LR ive seen.

But of course that could change with the new models.
If you're trying to bling it out for MTVs Cribs, then the LR is far cooler from a luxury standpoint.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
I have a 4runner (the TRD Supercharged one) and I absolutely love the functionality and quality of the car. That being said, the new ones are totally different so hard to say. As far as a quality built vehicle and maintenance, etc I would have to say the Toyota would be far better than any LR ive seen.

But of course that could change with the new models.
If you're trying to bling it out for MTVs Cribs, then the LR is far cooler from a luxury standpoint.
thats a nice supercharger, i think if LR lowered there prices by 5-10k they would make way more in sales and it would be a way better deal. IDK i really like the new 4runner design though, i may be looking in a few years between the 2 and was wondering everyones opinion.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
The 4 runner is fawkin hideous. Typical of many models they are trying to make it look butch for the US market. Others going for that look are all Dodge trucks (and many of their cars) Toyota LC, and many others I'd rather not think of. Not to mention the complete lack of real suitability for any off pavement travel beyond the smoothest graded fire roads. LR design is more original with cleaner lines than anything out there at the moment, and the truck actually works off road beyond what most people realize.

Toyota pickups are good workhorses. 4 runner is a puffed up minivan for soccer moms to haul their bear bait* around in, or a toy for beach bums, teenage girls, and wannabe hoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
Any feedback?
*http://blogs.usatoday.com/sciencefai...-minivans.html
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Other than some select sports cars and 3/4 or 1 ton diesel PUs with manual transmissions and the sprinter van, nothing in the current US car market does it for me under 100k (mmm G-wagon). If I had to buy a new SUV for 50k or lower, I would probably get a JK.
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
4 runner is a puffed up minivan for soccer moms to haul their bear bait* around in, or a toy for beach bums, teenage girls, and wannabe hoods.
the discovery turned into that too. (kept the offroad ability too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
thats hilarious
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The 4Runner hands down over the LR4.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
one in every bunch

Hey John I don't know much about the LR4 to be honest but I have spent some time on and offroad in LR3s and they are very cool and quite capable. If I had the $$$ I would already own one. LR2 on the other hand I would leave for the day care set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
The 4Runner hands down over the LR4.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

If you drive the LR4 and price is not the biggest deciding factor it will be a no brainer to get the LR4. there are so many advancements from the LR3 they had to give it a new name! Also the LR4 like all LR models has style that will last. The bulbous 4runner has style that will last about 6 months, maybe. The classic lines of the 1970 RR can still be seen in the current RR 39 years later! LR knows how to style a vehicle. Why do you think the Jap stuff has to change every 2-3 years? no style. LR4, discovery 4 all the way. BTW you can change the rear badge to read Discovery 4 if you prefer that over LR4-I don't blame you.

Follow-up Post:

the picture you posted illustrates perfectly what the 4runner is, a POSEUR!
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:55 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi
If you drive the LR4 and price is not the biggest deciding factor it will be a no brainer to get the LR4. there are so many advancements from the LR3 they had to give it a new name! Also the LR4 like all LR models has style that will last. The bulbous 4runner has style that will last about 6 months, maybe. The classic lines of the 1970 RR can still be seen in the current RR 39 years later! LR knows how to style a vehicle. Why do you think the Jap stuff has to change every 2-3 years? no style. LR4, discovery 4 all the way. BTW you can change the rear badge to read Discovery 4 if you prefer that over LR4-I don't blame you.

Follow-up Post:

the picture you posted illustrates perfectly what the 4runner is, a POSEUR!
i love my disco, but the disco's besided the disco 1 have had quicker body style changes than the comperable 4runner.
I hear you out man but the body style point is plausible.

Disco 2 99-04
3rd gen 4runner 96-02
Disco 3 05-09
4th gen 4runner 03-09
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Other than some select sports cars and 3/4 or 1 ton diesel PUs with manual transmissions and the sprinter van, nothing in the current US car market does it for me under 100k (mmm G-wagon). If I had to buy a new SUV for 50k or lower, I would probably get a JK.
Agree.

I would love to get one of those Sprinter SWB vans to replace our Yukon XL as the family rig if they came with a more comfortable "minivan" like interior. Or - it would be nice if M-Benz brought over the Viano like I rode in while in Italy last fall. I wish GM would put a diesel and barn doors on their new bodied Suburbans.

My wife loves the G-Wagon and might get a used one if we replace her W211 E500 Wagon (but with only 60,000 miles on it that's a while more).

My sis-in-law just got a LR4 and loves it. I haven't driven it yet but it looks very very nice on the outside and especially inside.

What about that Merceses GL350 with the diesel?
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:22 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don

What about that Merceses GL350 with the diesel?
that doesnt depriciated like a stone so, in like a few years i would only look to spend under $25k
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Most manufacturers IMO have lost their way when it comes to off-roading, even LR. In my mind, if you can't fix it off-road , it doesn't belong there. As far as SUV's are concerned for light and flat fire roads, basically a glorified station wagon?. An Audi quatro probably handles better on such surfaces. Not crazy bout the styling of either Toyota or the LR. (i'm getting old). I know the argument is that for kids comes in the SUV's, but in my experience with kids (4 of them) the Defender in their mind is the coolest vehicle of all. In my wife's mind-a Mercedes.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Most manufacturers IMO have lost their way when it comes to off-roading, even LR. In my mind, if you can't fix it off-road , it doesn't belong there. As far as SUV's are concerned for light and flat fire roads, basically a glorified station wagon?. An Audi quatro probably handles better on such surfaces. Not crazy bout the styling of either Toyota or the LR. (i'm getting old). I know the argument is that for kids comes in the SUV's, but in my experience with kids (4 of them) the Defender in their mind is the coolest vehicle of all. In my wife's mind-a Mercedes.
I agree with that. The JK without a doubt is the most factory capable "offroad ready" vehicle out there. I'll defend the 4runner a little! Mine is a 98 so not the new body style but it is till fairly easy to work on and capable off road. The 4runner (at least the model I have) is built on the Tacoma chasis so it's stout. The new one are very different though.

Land Rover has the look figured out though. They look amazing.
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

toyotas a poser? they seem to posed themselves into 90% of the ngo market. when it doesnt break offroad, you dont need to fix it offroad.

heres a group of posers posing.

http://ecom.toyota-gib.com/Default.a...rch&WCE=CTD:10
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They posed themselves with all kinds of useful stuff that they don't sell here.

Old October 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
They posed themselves with all kinds of useful stuff that they don't sell here.
lr4s are useful for something a 4 runner isnt?
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
looking good

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
disco