Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2008, 10:05 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
OK, I just got an email from LRNA and they have allowed me to "talk".
We have had a 2010 Defender at ECR for the last few months. The guys in NJ gave us one to doll up as a show car for the upcoming SEMA show in Vegas.
I can't show it to you because it is under double secret probation, but it is super cool, gets 40 mpg and is made of materials that can not rust. All the mechanical parts are now made in Germany and now require no oil, so no more leaks. The soft top version come standard with a Badger top now and it electrically folds into the windscreen frame so you don't have to fight with the top. I know you will love it and they have told me to go ahead and start taking 5,000. dollar deposits. Send your checks directly to me at ECR and I'll make sure they get to the right people at the dealership.
I'll take one as long as they have the same luxurious jump seats as my SW.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Isn't Tony's 110 2WD?
No it's simply 4W (no D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2008, 01:51 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Pretty capeable of getting you killed as you can't see a damn thing out of it.

Seriously, the visibility is horrible.

But it does do surprisingly well offroad, if you can confirm that you are in fact offroad, as you can't see anything.

I like them, btw.
They designed the fj cruiser to conceal all the groceries in the back

Before getting my fj, my daily driver was a Toyota Tacoma with a bed top. I didn't find the visibility difference that far off. So I guess it all depends on what you are used to. When I wheel the fj, I go pretty slow and I try to be as calculated as possible. There are some blind spots, but I find after getting to know her, she's a pretty safe vehicle - just have to use good judgement, but that needs to be done while driving any vehicle on or off the road.

True, most of the fj cruisers out there are driven by "grocery getters". In fact, I have a baby car seat in mine and I do get groceries with my fj. But I do actively wheel her, more so than my defender (for now). I am curious how many people who actually bought a D90 or D110 back when they were offered in the US actually wheeled them when they were new. I bet the numbers would be similar in percentage to those of the fj or jeep buyers today.

You can't compare the fj to a defender. They are too different. There is no denying that a D90 has superior offroad capabilities than the fj. Simple as comparing SFA to IFS.

I am sure there are many people that own both an fj and a defender. I am sure many ex defender owners have gone out and bought a fj cruiser and are quite happy. Most fj cruiser owners admire D90s, but most wouldn't buy a ten year old D90 over their new fj cruiser. If the D90 was available in the near future, I am sure there will be more than a few crossing over to Land Rover, especially if it was offered with a diesel It would really depend on what "kind" of defender they would put in the market. My guess it would be designed to appeal to the grocery getter as well as the serious offroader - kind of what Toyota did with the FJ. Hey, they would have to sell them.

Looking at the economy in general, the trend in gas prices right now, it will be a long time before LRNA/Tata puts out a Defender in the US. I'm not holding my breath.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
And here's the brochure!

http://landrover.tagworldwide.com/de...80_EN_OINT.php
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

What a fluff piece, two pages of glossy print trying to sell you on the cool tracks that the tires make. Lots of bolt on stuff that will rust faster than the "new defender" rumors take to spread around the internet.

Oh well...
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1
Page 16, the bump, the bump... shit, that bump don't look good
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

The bump is just a foundation for next years hood scoop!
Attached Images

Old November 17th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90
They designed the fj cruiser to conceal all the groceries in the back

Before getting my fj, my daily driver was a Toyota Tacoma with a bed top. I didn't find the visibility difference that far off. So I guess it all depends on what you are used to. When I wheel the fj, I go pretty slow and I try to be as calculated as possible. There are some blind spots, but I find after getting to know her, she's a pretty safe vehicle - just have to use good judgement, but that needs to be done while driving any vehicle on or off the road.

True, most of the fj cruisers out there are driven by "grocery getters". In fact, I have a baby car seat in mine and I do get groceries with my fj. But I do actively wheel her, more so than my defender (for now). I am curious how many people who actually bought a D90 or D110 back when they were offered in the US actually wheeled them when they were new. I bet the numbers would be similar in percentage to those of the fj or jeep buyers today.

You can't compare the fj to a defender. They are too different. There is no denying that a D90 has superior offroad capabilities than the fj. Simple as comparing SFA to IFS.

I am sure there are many people that own both an fj and a defender. I am sure many ex defender owners have gone out and bought a fj cruiser and are quite happy. Most fj cruiser owners admire D90s, but most wouldn't buy a ten year old D90 over their new fj cruiser. If the D90 was available in the near future, I am sure there will be more than a few crossing over to Land Rover, especially if it was offered with a diesel It would really depend on what "kind" of defender they would put in the market. My guess it would be designed to appeal to the grocery getter as well as the serious offroader - kind of what Toyota did with the FJ. Hey, they would have to sell them.

Looking at the economy in general, the trend in gas prices right now, it will be a long time before LRNA/Tata puts out a Defender in the US. I'm not holding my breath.
You speak the truth!
I would be wheelin my FJ if I still had it. I know a lot a guys/girls who wheel their FJs on the weekends and use it as a comfortable daily driver too. As some of you may know of my wheelin friends are frequent contributers to fjcruiserforums.com. I would have kept my FJ Cruiser but it didn't make sense when my wife started to push the idea to buy a Defender to wheel and keep a somewhat typical 4x4 suv as a daily driver.

I hope the eventually bring a new Defender to the US. I think if they make it a legitimate vehicle that could easily be personalized with some good aftermarket items and support to beef it up, it could be a win win.
At least most of us have a on this board have a Defender while we wait!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
OK, I just got an email from LRNA and they have allowed me to "talk".
We have had a 2010 Defender at ECR for the last few months. The guys in NJ gave us one to doll up as a show car for the upcoming SEMA show in Vegas.
I can't show it to you because it is under double secret probation, but it is super cool, gets 40 mpg and is made of materials that can not rust. All the mechanical parts are now made in Germany and now require no oil, so no more leaks. The soft top version come standard with a Badger top now and it electrically folds into the windscreen frame so you don't have to fight with the top. I know you will love it and they have told me to go ahead and start taking 5,000. dollar deposits. Send your checks directly to me at ECR and I'll make sure they get to the right people at the dealership.
So, this means they ARE or they AREN'T going to import them again? i am so confused!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Check out that catalog of parts. How do people feel about mounting lights like on page 32 in front of the regular lights?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

If you mean pg 22, I hate it...but thats just my opinion. I do really like the rubber mats on pg 36 though. Does anyone know if those will fit a NAS 110 or if the floors are a different shape now?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
I do really like the rubber mats on pg 36 though. Does anyone know if those will fit a NAS 110 or if the floors are a different shape now?
They are nice, i think they should fit.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
BCR
Brian Richardson
Need a D90 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Pretty capeable of getting you killed as you can't see a damn thing out of it.

Seriously, the visibility is horrible.

But it does do surprisingly well offroad, if you can confirm that you are in fact offroad, as you can't see anything.

I like them, btw.
Having a FJ Cruiser had to comment

Photographic memory & power mirrors aren't a luxury but required to wheel one - yes the visibility is that bad.

The 106" wheelbase combined with wider track makes it very stable off camber.

W/ rear e-locker & Atrac does well in the rocks even with its IFS front. just not as well as a rig w/F&R live axles.

Better DD than a Wrangler, better in high speed desert runs & sand.

Unlikely their will be a 2nd generation FJ Cruiser.

I would trade it in a heartbeat for a nice Tdi Defender
Graduate of Del Albright's RLTC course
Just Good Trails - Trail Boss
Tread Lightly - Tread Trainer
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
TanzaniaSafari
Patrick
94 D-90,2002 Range Rhino

It'll never happen at least not in 2010. They have been saying defenders will be back for the last 7-8 years, doubt thats going to happen now. The one I looked at here stripped down 2008 model is selling in Tanzania for 70,000,000 Shillings or around 60,000 bucks. I can buy a brand new Solid axel land crusier for half that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac