2010 defenders are back in the us!! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Stork17
Robert Blanchard
1983 110 (soon)

Okay lets say the Defender is not coming, (wish it would) What about the Diesel! Would love to see it in an LR3 !!! I'd buy one in a New York minute!
Robert
1958 SI SW
2006 LR3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
this is not a joke. this guy just got back for land rover nj and said they are coming 2010. i am ready to place a deposit. we will see.........
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:30 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Maybe they renamed the Range Stormer thingy "Defender" for the US market.

I know folks that work inside the factory and there is no USA spec. Defender in the factory, and no production teams or assembly lines are being tooled for it. To be a 2010 model these changes would already have to be in the works.
There is a redesign for 2010, but they say no USA model.

Follow-up Post:

Here is a picture of a 2010 styling exercise. I'm not sure how close it is to the Euro 2010 production version.
I'm not lining up to plunk down my deposit on it. Just my opinion.

I hope it does come. It will open up an entire new market, and it will be so "soft" (IMO) that it will make folks love the old ones even more.

Its like when Defenders came to the USA. Suddenly we were flooded with folks who wanted a Defender AND a Series Rover. Then that fell off.
If a new Defender comes it will again spark interest in the older models.

Same thing happened when Mini came back. Lots of folks wanted a new Mini and an old Cooper S. (I know I did).

Follow-up Post:

pixs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb.php3.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	16390   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-1.php3.jpeg
Views:	347
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	16391  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2008, 05:30 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

any new factory defender will be like the fj cruiser, just a grocery getter.

btw, aren't "new" defenders already available through ecr??
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

I know folks that work inside the factory and there is no USA spec. Defender in the factory, and no production teams or assembly lines are being tooled for it. To be a 2010 model these changes would already have to be in the works.

Follow-up Post:

Here is a picture of a 2010 styling exercise. I'm not sure how close it is to the Euro 2010 production version.

I hope it does come. It will open up an entire new market, and it will be so "soft" (IMO) that it will make folks love the old ones even more.

Its like when Defenders came to the USA. Suddenly we were flooded with folks who wanted a Defender AND a Series Rover. Then that fell off.

Same thing happened when Mini came back. Lots of folks wanted a new Mini and an old Cooper S. (I know I did).

Follow-up Post:

pixs
That thing in the pics resembles a Suzuki off road (if you can call it that) thingy.
Not diggin' that at all.
In the past, however, what you say is true. I feel like our NAS trucks would start to climb in value yet again if they did reintroduce the Defender to the US market.
D

ehem ... note the oil drip catcher on the floor under the truck ... that is too funny!
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod
Many people may use the new FJ to shuttle them back and forth to the mall but I would not say that the FJ is a "grocery getter" as it is good off-road and has a ton of aftermarket support for off-road use.
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
xmod
Jeremy/Sturgeon
97 NAS D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Many people may use the new FJ to shuttle them back and forth to the mall but I would not say that the FJ is a "grocery getter" as it is good off-road and has a ton of aftermarket support for off-road use.
i would agree that the concept fj at sema was setup for offroad, but most fj's are sold as 2wd, so i disagree. anyway, do you think an fj compares to a defender? that was my point.
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:12 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

Follow-up Post:

Follow-up Post:

pixs

That thing kinda does look like a Suzuki samuri!

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:20 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

horrible...

Old November 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:

i would agree that the concept fj at sema was setup for offroad, but most fj's are sold as 2wd, so i disagree. anyway, do you think an fj compares to a defender? that was my point.
Have you ever driven one offroad??
I own both and I can tell you that even a stock fj cruiser is pretty capable.
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

Follow-up Post:

Follow-up Post:

pixs

Thats pics of a lightwight defender thats been living in the Gaydon museum for years, i think its made in the mid 90's, so is not a 2010 concept.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

I hope that's just a bad picture - yikes!

Me no likey...
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90
Have you ever driven one offroad??
I own both and I can tell you that even a stock fj cruiser is pretty capable.
Pretty capeable of getting you killed as you can't see a damn thing out of it.

Seriously, the visibility is horrible.

But it does do surprisingly well offroad, if you can confirm that you are in fact offroad, as you can't see anything.

I like them, btw.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I agree with Buck. I loved my FJ 40 (of course having a 425hp 383 stroker in it didnt hurt) and I couldnt believe how bad the visibility was when i test drove the FJ. I think USA today said it had "so many blind spots in should come with a cane". I hope they dont do that to the Defender.
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:04 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

God I hope they bring that red thing in as a Defender. Being someone who owns a pristine 97 ST and a NAS 110 it will only help the value of my trucks. What I do doubt though is we will see it or anything like because all car makers have lost their a$$ and I just cant see a budget for anything that would be a gamble in the SUV market at this point.

Another point I want to make. I was at the Rockland LR about 5 or so years ago and the manager promised me the Defender was coming back in 2005(not real sure of the date) to the point he said they would start taking deposits for them. Same old story. I wont believe it until I see one on the showroom with a 20% over sticker markup.

Is it the norm for a dealership guy to get that kind of info to leak before LR to do their own press release? How many new cars or remakes or what ever you would call the new USA Defender have you seen that the dealerships would start giving info on before the factory at least gave out a hint. NONE
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Those RC Defenders look better than that! I'm checking my spam folder now for Nigerian contacts to wire my deposit to!
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
but most fj's are sold as 2wd
really ? I had no idea. Posers !

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender50th
Thats pics of a lightwight defender thats been living in the Gaydon museum for years, i think its made in the mid 90's, so is not a 2010 concept.

Good to know. I got those from another chat board as the next 2010 Defender, didn't get them first hand.

Its funny that if a new Defender is only months away (a 2010 model would be out sometime in 2009) that no spy shots have surfaced, no hype over a new engine. When the new dash for the current version was coming the spy shots came out over a year in advance.
How could Rover keep a lid on it so tight that no one anywhere knows about a new Defender?
I guess anything is possible, but GM and othesr can't do it.
You would think they would at least leak a stylist model to see if the public likes it.
The 2010 Mustang has had spy shots for almost a year now as it undergoes testing, the new McLaren even has shots of it and it is years off. When VW was getting the clean diesel going it was known well over a year in advance, and all over the diesel forums no one is talking about a 50 state clean diesel from Rover.

I guess only time will tell. I've been hearing it is coming back "next year" since the Fall of 1997 when they stopped coming in.

Old November 15th, 2008, 06:52 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

OK, I just got an email from LRNA and they have allowed me to "talk".
We have had a 2010 Defender at ECR for the last few months. The guys in NJ gave us one to doll up as a show car for the upcoming SEMA show in Vegas.
I can't show it to you because it is under double secret probation, but it is super cool, gets 40 mpg and is made of materials that can not rust. All the mechanical parts are now made in Germany and now require no oil, so no more leaks. The soft top version come standard with a Badger top now and it electrically folds into the windscreen frame so you don't have to fight with the top. I know you will love it and they have told me to go ahead and start taking 5,000. dollar deposits. Send your checks directly to me at ECR and I'll make sure they get to the right people at the dealership.

Old November 15th, 2008, 07:43 AM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

That's just cruel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
OK, I just got an email from LRNA and they have allowed me to "talk".
We have had a 2010 Defender at ECR for the last few months. The guys in NJ gave us one to doll up as a show car for the upcoming SEMA show in Vegas.
I can't show it to you because it is under double secret probation, but it is super cool, gets 40 mpg and is made of materials that can not rust. All the mechanical parts are now made in Germany and now require no oil, so no more leaks. The soft top version come standard with a Badger top now and it electrically folds into the windscreen frame so you don't have to fight with the top. I know you will love it and they have told me to go ahead and start taking 5,000. dollar deposits. Send your checks directly to me at ECR and I'll make sure they get to the right people at the dealership.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac