Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

2008 Defender

Just for what it is worth this is the feedback form one of our customers in Chile who just got his new 2008 Defender and will be sending it to us for some upgrades.
I found his comments on the new dash interesting considering all of us NAS guys look at the new dash as a good thing.
His comments as follows:

The car is fabulous - that is, the "Landrover" spirit is still very much in tact however, I am a little disappointed at the supposed upgrades to its comfort factor.

The car is presently located in Santiago, Chile but as fellow lovers of the car, I am sure of your readiness to carry out solutions to my difficulties.

The seats
Even though they are brand new, they are hopelessly uncomfortable for drives beyond a brief visit to the nearest supermarket. I wish to change them. Do you know which alternative seats best fit? (Please say the new Volvo leather seats complete with massage and air vents for stay-fresh driving!)

The dashboard
I am tempted to replace the new dashboard – for the previous one! The (console) on the new model is dreadfully plastic and bulky - in fact - entirely unnecessary for the tiny commission of holding a few buttons and a radio at odd angles from the driver. Need mention be made of the circular vents? These were seemingly designed to frighten everybody as they peer into the car. What’s more they produce the ghastly effect of reducing (seemingly) an already reduced windscreen panorama and driver visibility is thought to suffer. A return to the old dashboard should restore to the cockpit a sense of space and rid it of the current storm of unnecessary parts.

I think the electric buttons - and all the other buttons that today jut-out of a bulky plastic square - should look better (and more practically feel better) were they fitted to the front slanted side of the cubby box.
The previous design has oodles of space for things and really only needed some rubber base to it with one or two dividers to keep things from flaying about. It had none of the curly, bulky plastic affects of the new one.

I find the co-pilot's frontal handle bar another item hardly worthy of description beyond, perhaps, that of “fantastically useless”. The more I study it, the more I want to have medically examined the head of the one who put it there. I think the air conditioning motor could be fitted into the box under the passenger seat and the vents re-designed to provide air somewhere more general to the driver than his having it channeled at him as if from an oncoming car.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2008, 05:16 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Who designs these things!!?? its as if the designers they hire have ZERO creativity and follow the masses, or just base their decisions solely on looks, and never prototype/test these changes..

Jeez as soemone who would give a nut to design for LR, hearing this makes me want to vomit..

~Steve
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Just for what it is worth this is the feedback form one of our customers in Chile who just got his new 2008 Defender and will be sending it to us for some upgrades.
I found his comments on the new dash interesting considering all of us NAS guys look at the new dash as a good thing.
His comments as follows:

The dashboard
I am tempted to replace the new dashboard – for the previous one!
Hmm, in that case, could you conceiveably make functional bulkhead vents ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
You probably thank someone at Ford for the interior "upgrade" Lets hope the Indians do a better job.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
True...

But.....

It IS what they need to do to appeal to the "normal" people and keep selling the things. They can not keep them in the 1950s design and expect that people keep buying them. Look at Jeep. The enthusiasts whined about the JK, but they sell like hotcackes.....
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
But does it have cup holders and a vanity mirror?

I can't imagine that the seats are that much different from the original ones, are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time…

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
You probably thank someone at Ford for the interior "upgrade" Lets hope the Indians do a better job.
IMO, of the big 3, Ford interiors are the worst. But how much involvement could/did Ford really have with the Defender class?
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Who says all us NAS owners like the new dash? I prefer my old one......Flagg
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
x2 I like my vents under the windscreen, helps clear out the cabin. I like the space there also and the location of the radio in the console. I think the layout is perfect, the HVAC is adequate for a SW, I imagine its pretty miserable in the ST.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
But does it have cup holders and a vanity mirror?

I can't imagine that the seats are that much different from the original ones, are they?
IMO, of the big 3, Ford interiors are the worst. But how much involvement could/did Ford really have with the Defender class?
Honestly i cant say they had anything to do with the Defender but I was in a friends new Expedition the other day and I was really surprised how similar the interior materials and color scheme was to my wifes 03 Range Rover.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Let me know when it is at the shop so I can "steal" it and leave the owner a check for its value.
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Ok, I'll go on record. If and when that dash comes out, I'll take it off your hands Mike.
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:47 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

How is he getting it hear for you to do the work is what I would like to know. Is it possible to get a temp reg or can he just drive it across the border and say he is on vacation or getting work done in the states?
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:55 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

One year in the states then it has to go home.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Who says all us NAS owners like the new dash? I prefer my old one......Flagg
I love the classic and simplistic design of the parcel tray...and i LOVE the LR vents so much, I had pendy swap out my bulkhead for vented ones. If LR would just galvanize the frames at the factory and leave the defender the way it is, they could go on selling forever in my opinion. The Defender is the vehicle that shouldn't bow to the soccer mom's wishes. The only other vehicle that had a chance was the Hummer H1....god rest it's sole.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Hate to say it, but the interior will have to change if this vehicle will be sold anywhere in the developed world. Safety regs will drive this process.

The ventilation flow is bad, but removing the functional vents is a loser.

IMO, what hurt the Defender most for the past decade was the attitude of the parent owner. It was viewed a relic needing a replacement on the new platform. The truck is falling behind the times because no development was put into furthering some form of a utility/basic platform. For too long there was this idea that the Defender would be replaced by a lifestyle version. Neither Ford nor BMW put any effort into the current model or a future Defender in vein with what we have now. As a result, the Defender will receive band-aid fixes such as the new dash.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
i agree with Robert. If they can do it to the G Wagen why not the Defender?
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Hate to say it, but the interior will have to change if this vehicle will be sold anywhere in the developed world. Safety regs will drive this process.

The ventilation flow is bad, but removing the functional vents is a loser.

IMO, what hurt the Defender most for the past decade was the attitude of the parent owner. It was viewed a relic needing a replacement on the new platform. The truck is falling behind the times because no development was put into furthering some form of a utility/basic platform. For too long there was this idea that the Defender would be replaced by a lifestyle version. Neither Ford nor BMW put any effort into the current model or a future Defender in vein with what we have now. As a result, the Defender will receive band-aid fixes such as the new dash.
Nicely summarized.
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM
dabear
Chip
Aspiring.....

I'd take that funky new dash along with the new 6 speed tranny, 2.4L diesel, forward facing 3rd row jumpseats and ROLL DOWN WINDOWS....if the dang thing can be certified for EU emissions why not here? Hopefully the new owner will reconsider bringing it back across the pond. Makes me green with envy just looking at the website. http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/Veh...tion_wagon.htm
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:28 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
. For too long there was this idea that the Defender would be replaced by a lifestyle version. .
that happed back when they decided to make the NAS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The dash does protrude out a lot compared to the old type.

i test drove one a while back and my left knee (right hand drive here in UK) kept banging on the corner. right PITA (well, PITKnee )

the seats are slightly different, although not much, there is supposidly some improvement on the lumbar support, although ecternally they look almost identical (i've just picked up a pair of discovery series 1 seats for the project110)

gearbox,nice, the 6 speed is nice to use

2.4 engine? ok, limited on the amount of power that can be wrung from it. about 150~160bhp max.

Td5? 200bhp, and still within (UK) emissions limits.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat