Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

2007 Defender details announced

COMPREHENSIVE IMPROVEMENTS TO ICONIC DEFENDER FOR 2007

New 2.4-litre common rail diesel engine for improved driveability, refinement and pulling power

New six-speed gearbox featuring a wide ratio spread for better off-road and cruising abilities

New fully-integrated facia improves quality and ergonomics

New, more comfortable seating with full-size forward-facing third-row seat option

New high-output heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system

Unique Defender architecture retained, with 90, 110 and 130 wheelbase versions supporting a wide range of bespoke derivatives

Greater ability both on-road and off-road plus increased comfort, performance and refinement are among the major improvements introduced for the Land Rover Defender for 2007. A new 2.4-litre diesel engine offers increased torque and improved driveability while the new six-speed gearbox provides a lower first gear ratio, for better off-road control, and a high sixth gear for improved cruising refinement. Inside the vehicle, a new facia improves ergonomics, whilst new seating improves comfort for all occupants, from the four-seat Defender 90 to the five-seat 110 and 130 models. A seven-seat Defender 110 is also available.

The latest in a long line of evolutionary updates to a vehicle whose roots date back to 1948 (since when nearly 1.9 million units have been sold), the 2007 model year changes maintain Defenderís relevance while enhancing its functionality, versatility and durability.

Since the current modelís introduction in 2002, Defender has consistently sold an average of 25,000 units a year worldwide. Retail and utility customers, armed forces and NGOs in over 100 countries value Defenderís class-leading blend of towing and load-carrying versatility, alongside the vehicleís extraordinary strength, robustness and capability. The unique combination of these attributes helps account for the modelís exceptionally high standards of customer loyalty.

Land Rover managing director Phil Popham said: ďWeíre building on Defenderís success with a package of improvements that will extend its off-road abilities even further, while transforming on-road refinement and comfort. These changes represent a significant vote of confidence in a product which is the foundation of Land Roverís reputation for off-road excellence; we believe these enhancements will win the hearts and minds of new and existing customers alike.Ē

MORE PULLING POWER

Defenderís new 2.4 litre, four-cylinder engine draws on parent company Fordís acknowledged diesel engine expertise, and represents a major step forward in terms of refinement and driveability. Torque output is higher than the outgoing engine right across the usable rev range, and the 360 Nm (265 lb ft) peak is delivered at only 2000 rpm; over 315 Nm (232 lb ft) of torque is available from 1500 rpm to 2700 rpm.

Engine peak power output is 122 PS (90 kW), with more than 90 per cent of peak power available from less than 2200 rpm to over 4350 rpm Ė over 60 per cent of the usable rev range. Naturally, in European markets (with high quality diesel fuels), the new engine is designed to be fully compliant with EU4 emissions legislation. But with Defenderís status as a truly global product, a unique engine tune has also been developed to tolerate variable quality, high-sulphur fuels.

Based on a cast-iron block, the engine features an alloy, 16-valve cylinder head with Denso common rail fuel injection. Not only is combustion noise dramatically reduced, thanks to the excellent control provided by the engineís solenoid-driven fuel injectors, but a new Garrett variable geometry turbocharger also helps ensure throttle response is improved over the outgoing engine. The engineís lubrication and sealing systems have been specially developed to cope with Defenderís onerous range of operating angles.

The new GFT MT 82 six-speed gearbox provides a much wider ratio spread than before; the lower first gear offers a reduction in crawl speed and combines with the engineís increased torque output to make towing on-road and off-road even easier. The increased engine torque also helps in-gear acceleration, and has allowed the new sixth gear to be set 20 per cent higher than the outgoing modelís top gear. This helps to improve real-world cruising refinement and fuel economy. Ground gears in both the gearbox and new transfer box help boost refinement, while reductions in clutch and gear-change loads make day-to-day living with Defender significantly easier.

Individual pedal maps specifically matched to the demands of each gear are designed to ensure throttle progression and control is better than ever before; in addition, improved anti-stall characteristics further extend the vehicleís renowned ability to tackle the toughest terrain.

Changes to the vehicle exterior have been kept to a minimum, with a revised bonnet profile the only clue to the new Defenderís increased capability.

As Dave Saddington, Defender chief designer points out, ďDefenderís timeless exterior has become synonymous with functional design. Every line and surface seems to be linked to the vehicleís extraordinary capability, so we deliberately changed very little.

ďBut the interiorís a different story. We wanted to change the heating system and instruments, as well as improve ergonomics, all of which gave us the opportunity to introduce an all-new facia. In doing so, weíve worked hard to reflect Defenderís unique purpose and versatility inside the vehicle too. The new facia is better integrated, more robust and functionally superior to the old unit, whilst still entirely in keeping with Defenderís character.Ē

IMPROVED COMFORT AND ERGONOMICS

Defenderís new facia is based on a single, large moulding supported on a robust steel rail to help eliminate squeaks and rattles. Instruments from Land Roverís Discovery 3 provide clear, concise information to the driver, and details like all-LED instrument illumination help ensure high standards of reliability. Improvements to ergonomics abound Ė for example, a new passenger-side grab handle provides robust, two-handed support during extreme off-road driving. The process of modernising Defenderís facia hasnít sacrificed its usability either, with versatile stowage shelves conveniently located for both the driver and passenger. Two console options are available: a practical open-tray design that keeps contents to hand and a large, lidded design that provides an impressive 14-litres of stowage.

In-car entertainment systems have been upgraded to take advantage of Defenderís improved refinement. For the first time, high-mounted tweeters are available in Defender and work in conjunction with the new speaker installation for significantly improved clarity and sound reproduction. An auxiliary/MP3 audio input socket is also available.

The new facia houses an all-new heating and ventilation system. Cabin airflow is up almost 50 per cent, with new aluminium plate and fin heat exchangers helping deliver impressive performance. In cold weather, the heater warms the cabin 40 per cent quicker than before and can achieve cabin temperatures a full 12įC higher. The air-conditioning system can cool the cabin in half the time of the old unit, and achieve cabin temperatures 7įC lower too. The addition of side window demist vents helps maintain visibility whatever the weather.

Seating is also comprehensively improved. New, taller front seats are designed to improve back support and head restraint ergonomics.

Robust, more supportive second row seats are introduced too. 110 Station Wagon and 130 Crew Cab models can comfortably accommodate three occupants on a new, asymmetrically-split second row seat. A spring-assisted fold mechanism helps when folding the seats for carrying large or awkward loads.

Defender 90 Station Wagon second row occupants benefit from a pair of individual, full-size, forward-facing rear seats. Providing significantly increased comfort and space over the outgoing model, these seats are also available as a third row option on the 110 Station Wagon. Accessed either through the rear door or by folding the second row seats, they can be easily folded and stowed sideways in the loadspace.

Seat trims include durable all-vinyl and cloth specifications; a half-leather option is also available to add a touch of luxury to the new cabin. Three-point safety belts are specified for all seating positions.

Upgraded sound insulation, the common rail engineís excellent combustion control and the significantly higher top gear all contribute to a substantial overall improvement in cabin refinement. In the words of Gary Taylor, Defenderís chief programme engineer, ďFor many customers, the step change in Defenderís refinement will be one of the most welcome advances; not only are noise levels significantly lower, but sound quality is transformed too.Ē

Defenderís unique vehicle architecture has been retained. The chassis frame is available in three different wheelbases, and in both standard and heavy-duty guise (for even greater load-bearing capabilities). A total of 14 separate body styles Ė from pick-ups and soft-tops to crew cabs and station wagons Ė are produced on the mainstream production line. Beyond this, Land Roverís Special Vehicle Operations team offer a range of products from standard drop-side or box-body conversions to bespoke design and build adaptations into ambulances, mobile hydraulic platforms and even airport fire tenders Ė all of which are covered by Land Roverís extensive warranty.

All photographs and engineering data in this press pack are from pre-production prototype work. The specification, design and production of any vehicle shown is subject to alteration without notice. Some images feature optional accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR_DEFENDER_MY07_24_LR.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	6352   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR_DEFENDER_MY07_27_LR.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	6353  

Name:	LR_DEFENDER_MY07_30_LR.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	6354   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR_DEFENDER_MY07_31_LR.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	6355  

Name:	LR_DEFENDER_MY07_32_LR.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	6356   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR_DEFENDER_MY07_35_LR.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	6357  

Name:	LR_DEFENDER_MY07_39_LR.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6358  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Ha. No airbags.

Bonnet is fugly.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Now the obvious question; will the diesel engine and drivetrain be available in the US to retrofit to NAS Defenders?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:23 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Not coming over here (USA) anyways so it really doesn't matter..
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Sure it does/will. People bring over the diesels now for offroad use. Not having them in the US doesn't mean they won't be available.

However think of it like this. With all of the new dash gadgetry, you'll need the new dash, possibly firewall, etc. Wiring harness, ECU, blah blah blah

Funny, they omitted the fresh air vents too. That's a real bummer.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

The absence of airbags just about assures that the Defender will not be returning to the US in its current form.

Now we can all just sit back and enjoy our classic NAS 90s and 110s as they continue to climb in value and exclusivity
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I like the bonnet. That motor must be HUGE for a 2.4 four banger.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I like the bonnet. That motor must be HUGE for a 2.4 four banger.
engine is 179mm taller
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Sure it does/will. People bring over the diesels now for offroad use. Not having them in the US doesn't mean they won't be available.
Sorry, I was talking about the hood being ugly comment..
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:41 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
looks like it kept the diff lock at least the hood is wierd and i think the lack of under window vents sucks too.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think it would have looked better if they had just popped the hood up in the middle the opposite of the current hood.

I would like to take one for a test drive, maybe a 110 and compare it to Janey (1984 110) Just too see what improvements they have really made, I think it would be hard to beat Janey! Does anyone think Land Rover would fly me over for a few days of test driving? I would be more then happy to write up a full report!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

LOL

If I could import one I would send you to retrieve it.

Ron
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Wheel boxes seems to have shrunk into fenderwells. Be interesting to see how much tire clearance remains.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

It looks suspiciously like there are provisions for airbags - the area of the dash over the grab handle looks like a potential containment area for an air bag and you can always add a steering wheel mounted unit.

I could certainly learn to live with the "power bulge" on the hood - considering the alternative of no Defender at all. It will be interesting to read the road test reports on the new engine and six speed gearbox.

Wonder if the new gearbox will interchange with an R380? That would be cool.....
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

these so called improvments........ pretty soon you wont even need to go off road!
there will be a built in simulator!!!!!
i have just returned from a 3000 mile trip to the Alps, in a series 111.
no power steering , no traction control, no abs.NO COIL SUSPENSION
NOW THATS WHAT landrover driving is all about!!!!!
My TD5 Tombraider stays at home, TOO MUCH TO GO WRONG!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I have to admit my ol series 2A was reliable as hell, great traction off road, and every drive was a safari adventure.
Made it from NY thru-out the USA to CA and back to NY. But screaming at 30mphr. uphill in the Co. Rockies was
something else. I love the o'l series, and everyone should have one. But there is no doubt, Defenders are the way to go on long trips and expeditions...that is if you value your sweet comfortable ass. (and my ass is tough).
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Series are definetly cool. I am looking for one myself.

EwS
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:01 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I dig it. I would trade my leaky air vents for a cold as hell a/c and heater that could actually warm the car up before the end of a 30 minute commute. Sounds like they made some good improvements to me. As long as they don't change the body style, I am fine with it.

97 D90 SW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat