Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 21st, 2016, 08:27 PM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
2004 Discovery opinions

I have my eye on this truck as a new shop truck/tow vehicle.

Land Rover Discovery | eBay

I had a '98 Disco previously and had good luck with it. I am hoping the later model year with the larger engine would be a better tow vehicle.
Is this year a good year? What do you see here that should be of a concern to me?
Any info on the seller?
Thanks for your input.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2016, 08:34 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Start by checking the chassis. D2 units rot horribly.
Know of two vehicles on second chassis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2016, 06:46 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Start by checking the chassis. D2 units rot horribly.
Makes me thankful to live in the southeast. Depending on whether you need or want CDL will shape some of your search. I had an 04' with few issues but would be hesitant to get another 4.6 Disco again. Whether it's real or perceived I seem to hear folks talk about them slipping liners more often than the 4.0.

Edit: looking at the price I'd say pass on this one. Should be closer to 5-6 grand. I did it once but wouldn't suggest buying a Disco on eBay either. Find a D2 that a Rover enthusiast's wife drove or was otherwise pampered as a DD
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:32 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
For that money you can buy an LR3, which is a much better vehicle, IMHO. Especially '08 on.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:38 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
For that money you can buy an LR3, which is a much better vehicle, IMHO. Especially '08 on.
Second. I've had two D2s and now have an 06 LR3. The LR3 has been significantly more reliable in addition to being a significantly better vehicle.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:47 AM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by howski View Post
makes me thankful to live in the southeast.

Depending on whether you need or want cdl will shape some of your search. I had an 04' with few issues but would be hesitant to get another 4.6 disco again. Whether it's real or perceived i seem to hear folks talk about them slipping liners more often than the 4.0

cdl? Not clear what that is.

Also, on the LR3 suggestions, I am game but wonder what makes the MY2008 and later a better choice?
Thank gents
Old July 22nd, 2016, 08:13 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGPete View Post
Center Differential Lock. If you're not planning on doing any heavy wheeling a non-CDL D2 would suffice. I've never worked on or owned an LR3 but like that you can easily turn wrenches yourself on a D2
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:07 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
A DII isn't good for towing much of anything.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:08 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
A DII isn't good for towing much of anything.
Good for towing companies
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:25 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Fish Taco 90, 109 Coiler S/T 5-door

A buddy just bought a used Mini and got an aftermarket extended warranty- any vehicle, good for 100k additional miles as long as '01/newer and less than 150k mi currently.
So, he thought- get it for his daughter's '03 D-II- excluded from coverage!! And if that isn't enough, Carmax has the D-I and D-II on their 'do not buy/trade' list, and have been the last 10 years or so!!

Problem is, I was offered a one owner '03 TReK this week with 70k mi, garaged, paint and graphics near perfect- everything in tact- even original tires removed at 400 mi and stored in bags!! But, I am still skeptical knowing the slipped liner/head gasket issues. Not that they can't be fixed, but the big unknown of 'when', not 'if'...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:31 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGPete View Post

Also, on the LR3 suggestions, I am game but wonder what makes the MY2008 and later a better choice?
Thank gents
To echo others, the LR3/D3 is light years better than a Dii for most people and most application; the drivetrain reliability alone-particularly compared to the late Dii's and their penchant for head gaskets/slipped sleeves/overheating is reason enough.

As far as MY08 and later, that's as much subjective opinion as fact. Theoretically the MY05's had teething problems (though that is as much lore as fact) and thus in theory the further along you get in production the less of those and the more small refinements have been made.

Substantively one thing that is different is MY08, I believe, has the clock on the instrument panel display and on the dash...previous years don't. Until you use your IID tool (essential for ownership) and re-flash the system...then you do.
r
Ray
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:38 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Agree on 08 LR3 onwards. By that time they had debugged it sufficiently to be a good vehicle.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:44 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I got a D1 as a second vehicle since I was already familiar with the driveline and suspension. The DII only appeals to me when I wish I had a little more cargo room.

We have an LR3 and love it.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old July 22nd, 2016, 09:45 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Agree on 08 LR3 onwards. By that time they had debugged it sufficiently to be a good vehicle.
the main issue with the earlier ones is the differentials, especially the front. definitely need to listen for whining when looking. other than that, I don't know of any specific early model problems.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 12:49 PM
MGPete
Pete C
'95 D90 SW

Registry
Thanks guys, lots of good info. I hadn't considered the LR3 for some reason, focused on the DII.
I like the stats on it as well.
Oddly enough I am looking to replace a 2004 Suburban which is nickel and dimeing me to death.
If I'm going to spend on maintenance, I'd rather be driving a LR.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:22 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
A buddy just bought a used Mini and got an aftermarket extended warranty- any vehicle, good for 100k additional miles as long as '01/newer and less than 150k mi currently.
So, he thought- get it for his daughter's '03 D-II- excluded from coverage!! And if that isn't enough, Carmax has the D-I and D-II on their 'do not buy/trade' list, and have been the last 10 years or so!!

Problem is, I was offered a one owner '03 TReK this week with 70k mi, garaged, paint and graphics near perfect- everything in tact- even original tires removed at 400 mi and stored in bags!! But, I am still skeptical knowing the slipped liner/head gasket issues. Not that they can't be fixed, but the big unknown of 'when', not 'if'...

A slipped liner has no symptoms other than noise. I wouldn't be worried.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:07 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Had a 2004 G4 Disco for 10 years.

Common issues are "Three Amigos" (ABS/Hill Descent/Traction Control lights) Using An ABS Amigo To Diagnose Land Rover Discovery ABS Codes Usually turns out to be a shuttle valve.

Front drive shaft U joint - non serviceable- and right next to the Catalytic converter, they get cooked from the heat. Upgrades are available

Cracked block from overheating - known issue with castings on some of the 4.6's having not enough material between the water jacket and cylinder bore. The block cracks from heat, coolant works it's way up the outside of the liner and into the combustion chamber, or exhaust works it's way out through the crack. Exhaust smell in the coolant reservoir, excessive white exhaust, overheating and low coolant levels.

The heads are usually needing to be done every 50,000 miles. Head bolts are a stretch bolt type and always seem to be causing issues.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 02:39 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I loved my 2004 DII.

Most trouble free Rover I ever owned. Probably spent $1000 on maint costs for entire ownership, and $800 of that was getting the brake distribution block replaced.

Sold it too early. But it is being used well by a guy who appreciates it.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old July 22nd, 2016, 03:03 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I loved my 2004 DII. Most trouble free Rover I ever owned. Probably spent $1000 on maint costs for entire ownership, and $800 of that was getting the brake distribution block replaced. Sold it too early. But it is being used well by a guy who appreciates it.
Must have been a Tuesday build. I know mine was a Friday build. Not just from a higher maintenance perspective, but was also told of the build date by LR.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cover, disco, discovery