Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 25th, 2006, 12:27 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYoung
It's not jealousy at all-.
Oh come on Steve! You know you'll be a nobody until you get that 7th rover!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

IF you know the risks and the pitfalls, yeah, then I'm not going to stop you. But I just don't want people to think that everything is going to be all ok, and then have something go wrong and they have the truck confiscated.

I keep thinking about that one guy who tried to sneak a disassembled truck into the US in a cargo container and lost the truck and got hit with a $100,000 fine. And like I said, I KNOW the town that this particular one is being sold in. The cops there are very aggressive and with all the missing lights, it is going to have problems if it's sold locally.

I also wonder if it has all the OBD-II compliant equipment for inspection. As I've learned many, many times.... the dealership will do what they have to in order to sell the truck, including a false inspection. Then, a year later, things are a bit different.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Laws are easy to exploit, we all do it everyday. I drove over the speed limit going to work this morning. I dont think I am above the law and I have no excuse if I get caught. I kind of look at the "gray market" defenders like that only driving over the speed limit in many cases is more dangerous and has the ability to harm more people than owning a not so legal Defender. Yes it is illegal but the only person who will end up getting hurt is the owner of the defender when it is impounded. Why is this always such a hot button issue? I say good for them, have fun while you have it.
It either Legal or Illegal. It's not more or less legal.

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans

I also wonder if it has all the OBD-II compliant equipment for inspection. As I've learned many, many times.... the dealership will do what they have to in order to sell the truck, including a false inspection. Then, a year later, things are a bit different.
Aren't small diesels exempt from OBDII/exhaust inspections in NY? I believe they are and only a safety inspection are required.
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

Or sell it to someone in a state that doesn't do safety inspections.

Steve you are like the Debbie downer of the Rover boards, everytime a thread pops up about any grey market vehicle you come rolling in preaching the US DOT bible. If someone wants to bring a grey market vehicle in and title it as a 1972 harley davidson, so be it! More power to them, if I had the means I would be doing the same thing. "The Rules of Society" lol, there are plenty of laws that I don't agree with so I don't follow them unless I have to and importation laws are no different, and I can guarantee there are plenty of laws you break on a daily basis without even knowing it. And in the grand scheme of things, so what if someone brings those in, how exactly does it hurt you again? Are you saying these vehicles are safe enough to be on the road in 9/10 of the world, but because they don't meet some arbitruary rules that some no name person who has never seen these vehicles created its not safe enough here?
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:54 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

You can't say that only the owner can get hurt because of an illegal truck. If one of those ends up in an accident, the insurance company will back out- leaving any injured parties to fend for themselves using the court system.
It's really simple- just stick with legal trucks. I suppose some people who need to get out more often get their thrills 'living on the edge" with their illegal trucks fueling their little egos. Everyone I've seen with them so far gets off a little too much on being such a 'bad boy.'
I hope everyone with one of these things gets their ass handed to them by a judge.
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

So how exactly would they know, from just a wreck? When my girlfriend got hit and her car was totalled, not one insurance agent looked at the vehicle. Because the car was towed to a repair center, they gave an estimate, then she drove over to the agent and got a check. Besides are you telling me that your local state farm agent can tell the difference between a 2005 Td5 defender and a Series III re-body?? I would say that 99% of insurance agents couldn't tell the difference and the other 1% would be so excited about seeing it they would want to buy the salvage! Also ANYTHING can be insured, I would assume people that have these would use stated value policies just like the crazy kit cars, motor trikes, and adam family hot rods that drive around with insurance policies, and if they insured them as series rovers again I would love to know someone that isn't a registered user on this board that could tell the difference.

Living on the edge, give me a break, its simply wanting something that someone says you can't have for no real good reason, and not agreeing with that decision like Cuban cigars, moonshine, or a freaking diesel rover! Maybe you need to get out more, so you don't have so much time to care what others are doing. I mean really what would be the difference from driving your G4 to having a 2004 Td5 Grey market Disco on the road??? Is it any more dangerous? Does it put others at harm? Does it make you a deviant person?
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

A deviant, maybe not... depends on why you feel you need to commit multiple frauds to own a particular vehicle. Vanity? A way for the meek to secretly be a 'bad boy' or maybe a superiority complex? Not sure what you mean by "have so much time to care what others are doing" means and why you think I spend time caring- I just think people who commit felonies should be pounded for it. I also think people who don't use blinkers should be ticketed, people that speed in the school zone by the elementary school too.
I don't spend time on it- but I have passed my opinion on it. By all means, go get your TD5 or whatever and roll the dice.
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:11 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
It either Legal or Illegal. It's not more or less legal.

EwS
My point exactly. But we seem to think it's OK to speed or fudge a little on our taxes, or roll a stop sign, but it's still illegal. Illegal is illegal no matter what we are doing. I just think it's a little funny when someone see's a truck like that and get's all worked up about it and then proceeds to drive 1,2 maybe 5 miles over the speed limit which IS illegal but accepted my society. I am just saying if you get caught be prepard to accept the end result.
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I love the term Gray-Market. It must make it oKay to talk about it in public. How can it be gray? I've heard of removing 2 major components to make it a "parts" truck, but as soon as you put it back together it's now Black.

The counter-arguement is that there ARE some people that can get a legal title for imported vehicles, regardless of whether or not they meet US DOT specs. Even the DOT can waiver some vehicles. So see, Steve, even the governemnt puts itself above the law sometimes. This may be the case with this one, you never know.

P.S.

I heard Steve and Stu are staring in a new movie: Brokeback Rover
So kiss and make up so we can get back to talking about the stuff we all love...Rovers!
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:24 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

I'm not intending to argue about anything at all- just stating my opinion. I guess I'm a 'law and order' kinda guy.
You are right that sometimes some vehicles can be waivered- but more often than not the cost of compliance isn't obvious. I know a guy with a Porsche 959 which at one time was illegal in the USA- he spent years and probably $200K to get it legal and eventually did. He didn't go above the law, he and some other 959 guys paid to have them tested.
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
My point exactly. But we seem to think it's OK to speed or fudge a little on our taxes, or roll a stop sign, but it's still illegal. Illegal is illegal no matter what we are doing. I just think it's a little funny when someone see's a truck like that and get's all worked up about it and then proceeds to drive 1,2 maybe 5 miles over the speed limit which IS illegal but accepted my society. I am just saying if you get caught be prepard to accept the end result.

Fudge on your taxes? Eeeek. I see your point, some are more aggro on the bringing them in.

EwS
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Fudge on your taxes? Eeeek. I see your point, some are more aggro on the bringing them in.

EwS
I do not fudge on my taxes but I have some friends who have or did and it caught up with them. Same with the trucks, it may or may not catch up with you but the only person you can blame is yourself. I would never bring one in, too many headaches.
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Did anyone else read the carfax report....It says it was imported from Italy and registered in Newark, NJ......

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old April 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Bunch of whiners... with claims like this: "Guaranteed importable to the U.S.or your money back!"

How can you lose?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Landr...QQcmdZViewItem
Old April 26th, 2006, 04:50 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Sell the LE and buy it David.

Big Dawg like black.
Big Dawg like diesel.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:21 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Aside from all the import stuff, it's still an ex-MOD Defender. There's a lot to do if you'd like it to look like anything else ... say a semi-NADA truck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d-90, ebay