Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

2003-2004 Range Rover Reviews/Thoughts?

Hi, all.

I've been so focused on D-90s for so long, that I'm looking for a bit of advice on Range Rovers...

We're looking for a used '03 or '04 Range Rover to buy, and I'm interested to hear feedback from any of you that own one or from the many LR sales/service/corporate folks that spend time here with us.

First, are there any known issues or "gotchas" I should know about or look for?

I recall that the early ones had the BMW motor in them...good thing, right?

Special packages/options I should definitely get, or things to shy away from?

Are any of you selling one, or do you know of a place where I can get a great/fair deal?

Finally, are there websites you'd recommend where I can research?

Thanks, all!

Tory
Irvine, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2006, 06:18 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Tony

Sorry, O/T, but did you eventually sell your D90?

DJ
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

From '03 to '05 have the BMW 4.4 engine. '06 and up have the Jag engine. '03 and '04 models have the BMW nav system, which is largely regarded as clunky. The '05s and up have the touch screen DVD based nav system operating on a fibre optic (MOST) ring. HUGE improvement. The '06s seem to have some engine management/diagnostic issues due to the power plant change. Some prefer the Jag engine while others seem to prefer the BMW engine. If you're a fan of the BMW engine, I'd recommend the '05 due to the upgraded nav system. If you do go with an '03 or '04, head over to bimmernav.com and upgrade the nav system yourself to a DVD based system. Supposedly a plug and play (and pay!) operation.

The two big problems with the '03 to '05 models are tilt steering wheel mechanism failure (wheel falls in your lap!) and the front diff failure. LRNA just issued a recall on the tilt issue and there is a TSB on the diff issue (mainly having to do with alignment). Diffs seem to fail about every 30k miles or so. The jury is still out on whether or not the diff issue has been properly addressed. The diffs supposedly aren't an issue on the Jag drivetrains due to a redesign. Head over the www.rangerovers.net for more research. Good luck!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I have an 04 RR with low miles. It's the 5th or 6th LR I've had and I really like it.
I had an 06 sport with the upgraded Nav. The Nav is cooler looking and nice to use (same as 06 RR so that's why I am comparing), I just thought the sport was kinda tight inside. I hated to spend more for a new RR.

That being said, I don't miss the Nav/Bluetooth at all. The bluetooth began to get annoying.
If you had your door open, you can't talk on your headset, people on the other end said it sounded like I was in a tunnel. Got a new phone and it didn't help. It would sometimes link and other times it wouldn't. Not good if you have anyone in the car either.
The voice Nav is a great Bell/whistle feature. But it to has annoying. It didn't understand your voice that easy. Perhaps I didn't get over the learning curve. But you would say : Nav ....Home and it would answer "tai restuarants" or the like..........
But if funds are not a concern, the touch screen Nav is easier to work with vs the older manual entry Nav. I just found I rarely use Nav and what I have works well when you need it.

The biggest diff I saw in 04 vs 06 is the noise level. The newer model is much quieter and refined sounding. I found a low mile 04 and am happy. Feels/sounds like a BMW, mine has plenty of power.
So, I didn't think it worth it to shell out more for the 06 at the time. Now that some used ones are out, the difference would be less dollars...I would consider it....
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

Thanks for the feedback/reviews, and keep 'em coming...that's precisely the stuff I'm looking for.

Tory
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

05 nav is WAY better than 04 nav. Other than that, both my 04 and 05 were fine when I had them.

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
2003, ht, range rover