2002 D90 on eBay - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 15th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

But in order to import legally, wouldn't they still have to meet both DOT and EPA regulations to register them? That would mean all the goodies like Airbags, emissions... everything. If the trucks meet all the current regulations, why wouldn't Land Rover be importing them?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2004, 07:12 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Any update on the test drive?

Curious readers want more details.
Old October 19th, 2004, 08:55 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I'm not saying this guy is legit, but if all the safety equipement is required then how can the millitary sell off Hummers?

I've read that the Ausi's are checking out the TD5 for millitary contracts and the US Rangers did use 110's, so it's not unfeasable that the US millitary could be looking at or using the new models. I even heard that for the invasion of Irag, Wolfs were purchased by some Army units because they are easier to transport by helicopter. And don't forget that Marine Force Recon is now using G-Wagens.

It sounds like maybe this guy could be importing for goverment but taking advantage and padding the order for personal sales.

Just a thought.
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2004, 09:00 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Mike & Dave,

The 30th weekend is fine for me, send me an email offline and we'll setup the logistics.

I found his business card. I don't know if posting his info is so bad Mike, I mean regardless of the eBay auction (which I'm not even 100% certain is his listing) he does own a Land Rover business in Jamestown, RI, which do know for a fact he offers at least Series vehicles for sale... why wouldn't he want a little free publicity to a captive audience? If anyone contacts him, please just don't call him a tool

How about just his name & email? I know matt offered too, but anyone can PM me for his phone if needed.
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:04 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

The Hummers that are sold to the public have been rebuilt. The frams are normaly chopped up and other parts are removed. The trucks once they are rebuilt fall under I believe class 6 trucks which makes them exempt from the airbags and abs.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 20th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I think Dave M is trying to set up a time for us to meet the guy for the 30th.

Bt I wouldn't be calling him unless you are really intrested in buying from him. If we do head down and he lets us check things out we'll try and get answers to all the questions. I met the guy at MAR 03, and I know he is for real, he had a Wolf at MAR with a 300tdi.
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:47 AM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

i like the bigger logo
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
no doubt.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:58 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

Whoever is going to check out the guy in Jamestown, could you find out a little about the office he claims he has in Seabrook, TX? That's ten minutes away from me and I would like to know what it is they do here. Couldn't find anything in the yellow pages or anything. Maybe a diff name? PM me if you don;t want to post. Can't imagine why they would have an operation like that in an obscure little town like Seabrook (well, NASA is right next door and Ellington AFB is just down the road) Any government facilities like that around Jamestown,RI?
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I don't think there's anything on Jamestown (it's a small island) but just over the bridge in Newport is the naval base with the War College... but I don't think that's anything like Ellington or NASA. When I first heard of this guy I thought Jamestown would be an odd place for something like this, it's sort of a nice little quaint island town in the middle of naragansett bay, with a highway connecting eastern RI to western RI running through the middle of it. There's no industry to speak of, besides restaurants, shops, inns, etc. I imagine most residents work off the island. Strange place for the government's importer of specialized Land Rovers... but a great place to live. I guess if you're modifying and shiping Land Rovers to different goverment locations in the country, you can really live anywhere. In which case Jamestown is a fine choice!
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:41 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

The Hummers that are sold to the public have been rebuilt.

Someone once adviced me to always check the floor pans when inspecting ex-military Hummers. Supposedly, the Hummers don't let captured water drain very well so soldiers often end up shooting holes in the floor pans to aid drainage. I have no fact to back this up but it does make for an interesting anecdote.
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
My cousin sad he did that when he was in the Rangers
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The Rangers and SF might get away with shooting holes in their GOV's (government owned vehicles) but the rest of us just get relieved or court-martialed for having an "accidental discharge." The reality in today's army are ROE (rules of engagement) which are somewhat more complex than "dont fire 'till you see the whites of their eyes." I've seen places where soldiers are required to tape the ROE to the stocks of their weapons. We naturally joke that a soldier is required to consult the ROE while he is trying to aim the weapon.

Yes, I know "accidental discharge" is Freudian, but lets not go down that road.
Old November 1st, 2004, 02:02 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

My apologies for getting back to the subject at hand but is there any update on these questionable vehicles?
Old November 13th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Disco_Stu
Stuart
2000 DII

Was anything ever found out about this guy?
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

We were never able to get in contact with the guy, e-mail or phone, so we never checked the place out.
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Bummer. This looked like an interesting Defender. I would have liked to learn if his story was for real.
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Resurecting this old thread, I was driving though Jamestown yesterday and decided to look for this place. 5 Wolf Defenders, RHD, looked like mid-80's. 1 apparently brand new TD5 110, just beautiful, and another slightly older 110, but with Euro style lights, and a full cage, what looked to be Disco II seats, kinda modified a bit. Really nice. Then some various Series vehicles. It wasn't a large shop, I guess a couple of bays and a good sized lot. I think there was some heavy equipment in the back too.

Only one of the Wolf's had RI plates, the others were the square UK plate. I saw no plates on the 110's. And I didn't see any for sale signs, or truck info on the window's, etc. They were just parked in the lot... but they were definelty 'displayed' -type parked.

I plan on trying to get by this place again soon.... I'd love to get a Wolf for a trail rig. I will keep everyone updated with what I find.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:42 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Dave, let me know and I could cruise down with you.

The fellow who owns the place was at Winter Romp. He was driving the 400hp rangie. He's a part of the ROXs crew and his wolf is in a bunch of their pictures.

Old March 14th, 2005, 11:58 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I think there is some mis-understanding as to what a Wolf is. Just because it's ex-MOD doesn't make it a Wolf. I realy doubt they would be Wolf's as the Brits are not releaseing any right now, as they need all the parts in Irag. The only other source of Wolfs would be Europe and they are LHD.

Mid 80's would be standard ex-MOD 110's with 2.5NA diesels, LT77,LT230 and Salisbury rear axle with drum brakes. Wolfs have 300TDI, R380, LT230 and modified rover axles with disc brakes front & rear, among other differences.

If they are truly Wolf's let us know because they are quite rare right now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90, ebay