2 questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

2 questions

my first question is how loud is a flowmaster 40 series at highway speeds? And my second one is their is a clicking sound coming from the front of the engine near the belts what could this be? any help would great because my muffler is shot and has a hole in it and that sound is annoying me at idle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Funny, I have a clicking sound too. Same place. Only on cold mornings. Stops when it gets to normal operating temp. I hunted around with and engine stethoscope one morning, couldn't narrow it down. Hasn't been cold enough to recreate it. I read something about the oil pick-up when it's cold. I have an oil pan heater that I am going to use the next time it gets cold. Supposed to drop to 30 in the next few days so I should be able to investigate more. I have the 3.9L by the way.

Oh, do a search for "ticking noise". You'll find that oil pick up thing I mentioned.
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM
kjh888
Kurt Harvey
97 Defender 90 ST

at highway speeds the 40 series is not bad at all, with my stock muffler i still had to crank my radio up because the wind noise is so loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The ticking sound is most likely a leak in your exaust manifold. When your motor heats up the headers expand and the sound goes away. It is not a big deal other than it is annoying and robs a little power and gas milage.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:05 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

i have the sound when the engines cold or hot
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
a ticking sound when cold or hot means that your exhaust manifold leak is big enough that the heated metal expansion won't close the gap. step 1: tighten down your manifold bolts. if that doesn't do it, you probably had a piece of the manifold gasket blow out...fun, fun, fun. good luck.
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

This happened on my 90 as well. Started to lose power up hills. If you lucky than its just the manifold down pipe gaskets. I actually had cracks around the weld bead on the Y pipe. I just ground them down and rewelded them but if it happens again I'll probably just wind up buying a new pipe.

Neil
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the 40 was to loud for me, resonated bad inside. I have a magnaflow now that I really am happy with. Its a little more compact than the 40 series and its stainless steel

is it a bitch to replace the manifold gaskets? How likely is it that I will break a bolt off in the block?
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
the 40 was to loud for me, resonated bad inside. I have a magnaflow now that I really am happy with. Its a little more compact than the 40 series and its stainless steel

is it a bitch to replace the manifold gaskets? How likely is it that I will break a bolt off in the block?
Well I live in California, but the previous owner lived near the beach and most bolts were covered in surface rust. It all came apart easy anyway. Squirt some penetrating oil on it a couple times throughout the day before you trying to take it apart. You'll need something like a 13 or 14mm socket with really LONG 3/8 extensions. There will be 3 studs/nuts per side, 2 nuts to undo at the muffer. It comes apart real easy at the muffler, just one metal donut that is reusable. (I re-used it, no problems yet) You don't have to but it would be nice to use new nuts and a torque wrench.

Neil
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4

For me...exhaust manifold bolts break like glass.
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Exhaust manifold is the one pressing against both sides of the engine block sides, not by the muffler, and they SUCK to replace. And they have locking flanges with tabs that are bent onto the nut surface to keep bolts from loosening, that have to be bent back out to release the bolt. And the fuel lines are quite annoying and in the way.
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:44 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

it was a spark plug that wasn't screwed in all the way, and my whole exhaust system from the manifold back is pretty much gone. So i guess it's time for some highflow cats and a 40 series off-road muffler
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
Exhaust manifold is the one pressing against both sides of the engine block sides, not by the muffler, and they SUCK to replace. And they have locking flanges with tabs that are bent onto the nut surface to keep bolts from loosening, that have to be bent back out to release the bolt. And the fuel lines are quite annoying and in the way.
Alot easier to replace with the motor out of the bay. Just leave the Y-pipe connected to the rest of the system. Since you've went that far, might as well fit a new motor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat