Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 20th, 2008, 11:19 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
2" Lift, how big of tires can I get?

I am thinking about putting a 2" lift on my d90. The lift would be a true lift, not just spacers.

I was wandering if someone could tell me how big of tires I could get under it with 2" and no trimming? I was thinking 33's or 34's, but I really don't know what will fit.

thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I run 33" fine with a 2" lift (although they might be closer to 32" actual)
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
285-75-16's fit great, they measure about 33 inches. You can put these on stock or aftermarket wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield
285-75-16's fit great, they measure about 33 inches. You can put these on stock or aftermarket wheels.
I thought 265 was the limit for 7" rims.
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:25 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

A quick search will yield pages upon pages of threads answering the same question.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield

As someone else mentioned, 285's are wider than the tire manufacturer recommends for the stock 7" wide wheel. Keep in mind that a 285/75-16 will fit on a stock D-90. The bigger problem is that no matter how much lift you install, running a 285/75 on the stock wheels will lead to rubbing because of the width of the tire. They will rub the front shock towers, radius arms, and rear inner wheel wells, unless you run a wheel spacer, or different offset wheel.

As with any suspension lift, keep in mind that unless you limit compression travel with extended bump stops, you don't really gain any ultimate tire clearance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
As someone else mentioned, 285's are wider than the tire manufacturer recommends for the stock 7" wide wheel. Keep in mind that a 285/75-16 will fit on a stock D-90. The bigger problem is that no matter how much lift you install, running a 285/75 on the stock wheels will lead to rubbing because of the width of the tire. They will rub the front shock towers, radius arms, and rear inner wheel wells, unless you run a wheel spacer, or different offset wheel.

As with any suspension lift, keep in mind that unless you limit compression travel with extended bump stops, you don't really gain any ultimate tire clearance...
How do the wheel spacers work? I am just curious... sorry for the question... I am new to all this stuff. does anyone have any pictures of before spacers were put on a d90 and after they were installed?

So it sounds to me like if you want to do the wider tires, you need to get wheels that will take the wider tire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tire, tires