Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:57 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
1997 Discovery Help ASAP

I know this not Defender related but I'm not regestered at Discoweb so I am hoping some of you can steer me in the right direction.

My son,16,has got a bit of the Rover bug and is looking to buy his first car. We have found a 1997 SE7 that has a 2" lift with OME shocks and springs but not much else as far as aftermarket items for off-roading gear goes. The car is in okay shape, I would say fair but close to good, with 141000 miles on it. 4.0 auto. When we went to look at it today I found two problems that I was wondering if anyone knows how hard or much it would be to fix. Along with a few concerns.

First, when we started the car it idled fine but when you hit the gas the RPM's dropped, and then the engine reved up. After a few minutes as the engine warmed up problem gone. But when we were driving it if you punched the accelerator it did not just take off, it just accelerated slow and steady? Not sure if this is right. It would not even think about pushing you back in the seat.

The Center Diff lock. At some point it got stuck in low with the CDL engaged. The owner took it apart and removed the pin lock. So The CDL does not work but you can get in into high and low, although this was not very easy to do. Also the light that says that the CDL is engaged is always on. Maybe it is still stuck I just don't know.

My concerns are that it has power locks, window, sunroof. I would rather everything be manual ala Defender. I worry about all that stuff starting to break and the cost to fix it. It is white it has a little rust up by one Alpine window on the passenger side but that is about it. Shows sign of small leak at the front sun roof.

He was asking 2700 but we were several hundred lower than that when we decided to walk away and think about it.

Help anyone? Anything else we should consider?
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:24 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Just my opinion, Mid 90's DISCOs are worth about $2500 looking good. (age appropriate looking good) Start ticking away for mechnical problems. This center diff light is worth more investigating as it could be mechnical or electrical. Neithier get fixed really easy although sometimes you get lucky with the electrical.
Sterling, VA
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

That's a lot of miles. You should be able to find something with less miles and close to the same amount of coin.

The engine rev'ing sounds normal.

The awesome throw-you-back-in-the-seat power sounds normal, too.

Sounds like the CDL needs some work, but does not sound like a deal breaker to me unless you're challenged in that department.

For a 16-year old, it's bitter sweet. On one hand he'll be in a safe vehicle; on the other hand it's a gas guzzler.

Personally, I'd only consider a 1998 or 1999 D1, or a 2004 Discovery 2, if you're looking at only Discoverys. I think I'd pay $500 to $1,000 more for the truck you're comfortable with with less miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:53 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
The CDL issue is very common, esp if low range was rarely used. I would be concerned that the Diff Lock light is still on, since I do not think that is activated by the lever, but further down in the linkage or in the t-case itself. I would be worried that he has been driving around with the diff locked. The fix for the stuck shifter is pretty easy and can be found by searching...but if he took it apart and took out the pin...why did he not fix it all the way....hmmm...maybe someone here can back me up in my thinking that the diff is still locked...
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Without seeing it, I would almost say without certainty the diff is locked. But it's not going to hurt anything, really. Trevor Combs in MD ran around for nearly 6-years with his CDL locked in his D90.
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:48 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Okay so the engine "power" sounds like it is normal. What about it droping the RPM when you hit the accelator when the engine is cold?

I don't know how to tell if the diff is locked but I would say that I have a gut feeling that it is. Something is not right and why not fix it right if you are in there? I think he must of just freed it so that you can go from hi to low but that the CDL is still locked.

Finding a rover was a somewhat new idea as we saw that there are some Disco's out there close to what he has. South Texas does not have a ton of Rovers and most of what we are finding are in the 3500 to 4500 dollars area for a mid 90's disco. He only has 2200 to spend and when we walked away we were at 2000. Before this we were trying to find an old pick-up so gas milage was about the same.

Thanks for all your help.
Michael
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

The RPM deal may not be "normal", but it's common for a cold engine. Mine does it half the time when cold. As soon as it reaches operating temp it's fine. I don't really know what causes it, though. The only thing I know of that's wrong with my truck is a bad o2 sensor.

When the CDL freezes up, typically it's the movement that locks/unlocks the diff. It's that side-to-side movement. Even when CDL linkage is "frozen" you can still sift into Low, most of the time.

I don't understand why he would have pulled that pin, though. That seems strange. I would crawl under the truck and try to unlock the diff with your hand. You should be able to do this without a wrench, but if not it's an 11mm. If you lay longways with your head under the front driveshaft and your feet towards the rear axle, you should be able to reach up over the front driveshaft and access the diff-lock linkage easily. Best to do when the engine is cool and the A/C is off or the A/C condensation will drip on your face and the converters will be hot as shit.

Sometimes the diff-lock fork will bend or just get stuck. It's the movement of this fork that turns the CDL light on. It's possible that the CDL light switch is out of adjustment, but I doubt it. A quick test to see if the diff is in fact locked is to make a tight turn in a paved parking lot at low speed. If the front tires hop, the diff is locked. If you can't unlock the CDL by hand, drop the price $500.00 and tell him the t-case is fucked. Worst case, without seeing the truck, you may have to remove the access plate on the t-case and monkey with the shifter fork to get the CDL to unlock, and/or spend some time repairing the CDL linkage.

It's a 13/14 year old truck and it's not going to be perfect. All that nickle and dime stuff can add up. If he's only got $2,200 to spend, he better get a job then become good friends with Will Tillery.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Thanks Daniel, It sounds like this locked CDL may not be that big a deal to fix? I did turn it in a tight circle and it did hop. I can go back and see if I can free up the CDL and if not knock him down a little more. We walked away at 2000 because 2200 is all he has for a car to get it going. That is he needs to have some to fix it and I was afraid 200 was not going to be enough. We have other money set aside for tax, title and licence, gas, and insurance.

Funny I forgot to mention that the check engine light is on and I figured it was just an O2 sensor.

Yes that nickle and dime stuff is also what concerns me, because it is eletrical with all the power windows and lock ect....
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Even if the t-case is a lost cause, which I doubt it is, they run $450 used. You can swap them out easy in 4 to 6 hours with a few sets of hands.

At $2k you're not loosing anything. You could part the thing out and get your money back. Let it sink in for a day or 3. If he still wants it then buy it.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post

Funny I forgot to mention that the check engine light is on and I figured it was just an O2 sensor.
03 Disco just had O2 sensor replaced- craptastic idle and check engine light were there symptoms. Take a reader over and see what codes it is throwing. Fancy reader will tell you what the code is, cheap reader will tell you the code and then google will answer your question. FWIW I paid about $200 to have a local shop do the O2 replacement- parts and labor.

Honestly wouldn't fret too much over the fancy electrical. There are some helpful folks on Dweb and there is a lot of information there if you take the time to navigatet the "other" content. I tend to get a better response here

Can't help you on the CDL- have an 03.

Alex
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

stick with a '94/'95 Michael as we discussed- same parts as your 90 will make it much better in the long run- for the both of you:-) Glad to see the gene passed on- call anytime my friend. Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Thanks

Thanks all for you help and time. We have decided to pass on the 97. Seems like the CDL was not going to be as big an issue but the miles and check engine light started to worrie me. Plus after talking with the PO a little more I found out that his son (age 21) has already totaled two cars since he was 18 and then had this one and stuck the CDL and bend the bumper and ????????? My gut told me to pass and sit and wait. That it may of been abused more than I thought. We will find something soon and it is now offical that he has found a vehicle he wants. Before this he was just looking for something/anything. The Rover Bug seems to of taken hold. Poor fellow.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Michael, another technique is to find a truck around town and leave a note on it. Barry (bjf) found his 110 that way. I have a neighbor two houses down who has a gorgeous white D1. It's really in amazingly good shape. He does his own work on it and it's always washed and clean. I've talked to him and left two notes asking him to name his price but he won't even consider it. I guess should have sent the notes to his wife instead.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

For the rpm dropping, check the throttle cable at the throttle body, if it's too loose it may hold a steady idle but once you mash the gas it bogs. Should have about 1/8" play up/down and grease the cotter it runs on.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Just figured I'd help out here real quick. You'll find that if you expand your search for 95s to CO, Kansas, and NM, the selection widens substantially. You're right; nothing really in TX.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/1926243530.html

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/cto/1891665716.html

http://amarillo.craigslist.org/cto/1867341028.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1932924849.html

http://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/1926159942.html

parts for when you need them.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/1863153187.html
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Just figured I'd help out here real quick. You'll find that if you expand your search for 95s to CO, Kansas, and NM, the selection widens substantially. You're right; nothing really in TX.

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/cto/1891665716.html
Josh, First thanks you for looking. You have got some super sluth skills going on, now you are even going into other countrys to find cars. I have opened up my search. and I have seen most of the rigs that you found althought the one in El Paso caught me by suprise as I had just looked there minutes before but then I relized that he had listed the rig in Mexico. I have found trucks in Boston, NC, Denver. Problem is that my son has saved about 2500 bucks and so shipping cost really cut into how much he can spend on a car. Plus have no real good way of looking at trucks and seeing them if they aren't close by. Even El Paso is 14 hours round trip. We will find something. We live inbetween Austin and San Antonio. so Hopefully we will find something also looking strong in Huston and Dallas. Sooner or later something will come up. Thanks again for looking and if you find anything please feel free to let me know. Michael
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:59 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
No problem, Michael. My first car was my most important.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
1997, 97, cover, disco, discovery