1997 D90 LE 12,000 miles - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:08 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Is it wrong of me to say. " you suck" in a nice way? Congrats on the truck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:26 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Is it wrong of me to say. " you suck" in a nice way? Congrats on the truck!
My wife is pissed because I won't let her drive it to work! It was a once in a lifetime find and I'm appreciating it as much as possible!
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:32 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I had to buy one for my wife in 2007, sold it in 2010, just after our 4th kid. Now she wants another one. Slippery slope. :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
My wife is pissed because I won't let her drive it to work! It was a once in a lifetime find and I'm appreciating it as much as possible!
Just enjoy it! Or flip it for some good money and a quick profit, buy another for $30k (plenty of nice ones in that price range as I'm sure you saw) and pocket the rest! It will never be worth more than it is right now.

Your decision though of course. Nice find (again).
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:45 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Or buy two... One for you and one for the wife.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:18 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Or buy two... One for you and one for the wife.
Yeah, I'm gonna go buy a powerball ticket. If I win, I'll buy you and her one!
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:33 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
I'm in an odd situation. I have been looking to modify my new Defender, but I'm afraid that if I began to modify it, the value would go down. Currently, it is all stock. It even has the original owners manual with the original Land Rover pen! It has 11,560 miles and is in great shape!

Should I sell this one and buy one with more miles that I can modify and not worry about it affecting value or should I keep this one and only modify it in ways that I can bring it back to stock?
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

Yes.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
I'm in an odd situation. I have been looking to modify my new Defender, but I'm afraid that if I began to modify it, the value would go down. Currently, it is all stock. It even has the original owners manual with the original Land Rover pen! It has 11,560 miles and is in great shape!

Should I sell this one and buy one with more miles that I can modify and not worry about it affecting value or should I keep this one and only modify it in ways that I can bring it back to stock?
Sell it. Use profit to buy a nice mid miles one you can mess with.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Sell it to Copley.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:

Didn't I already tell you what to do? Look two posts higher...

The value is going to go down if you do ANYTHING at all, especially if you drive it. It will never be worth as much as it is right now at the current mileage. If that's a real fear for you, then just follow the directions from my last post.

| | | | | | | | | | | | |
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Just enjoy it! Or flip it for some good money and a quick profit, buy another for $30k (plenty of nice ones in that price range as I'm sure you saw) and pocket the rest! It will never be worth more than it is right now.

Old August 8th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Sell it. Use profit to buy a nice mid miles one you can mess with.
I'd be shocked if this weren't the plan all along, and I'd assume most all of us would do the same.

Sell it to Copley, make a nice profit and find something that is really what you're looking for rather than the unicorn that landed in your lap.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:45 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Have it professionally detailed. Flip the tires around and sell it.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wheel it at Rausch Creek.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 8th, 2013, 10:50 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Wheel it at Rausch Creek.
Haha! Yeah Right! I won't even take this thing on a gravel road!
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I can see the attraction of I found it, I feel really great about it, and I want to play with it ... however what you have is the virgin nun and what you really want is the dirty stripper.

Fortunately the market for virgin nuns is high ( must be religious artifact collectors ) and the market for dirty strippers is low ( mainly thanks to Neal ).

sell the nun, buy the stripper and have a bundle of cash to take her out and parade her in front of your married friends.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Flip it and buy a Range Rover Sport so that the wife can drive too.
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

X2! Sell it to someone who will appreciate it, enjoy it and pay a premium for an artifact like that. Then take the $$ and buy that DD/trail rig you really want/need.
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:

I think you may have answered your own question. If you're concerned about harming the truck's value, then one can only assume that you don't plan on keeping it forever. Value really only matters if you ever plan on selling the truck. Otherwise, if you planned to keep it forever, the consideration for value would be irrelevant.

The 90 is definitely a cool find, but I stand by earlier post. I'd be afraid to drive it with that low a miles, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy it even if I did drive it. It's a collectors item at this point and, in many people's eyes, more akin to a valuable piece of art than a usable mode of transportation. And like a valuable work of art, there are a number of individuals who would pay handsomely to have it "hanging on the wall" in their garage.

Now, if you sit on it and don't drive it for a number of years then the value is likely to keep appreciating. But then again, I don't get the impression that is what you want to do with it.

Obviously, I have no idea exactly what you paid for the truck. But you've indicated that it was a good deal and it appears that you've had some offers from other interested parties. I'd wager that if you sold it now, you're probably looking at a profit from anywhere in the 50% to the 100% range, or possibly more if I'm high on my guess. That kind of money can pay for another 90 and a lot of accessories (or perhaps even a 110, if that's your thing). Just sayin'.....

At any rate, just my $.02. Best of luck with your decision!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
About 9 years ago to the date I bought a 97SW with 22k miles from an original owner too. It too came with the key chain and all the original dealer goodies. I had a stripper 90 prior to this one so i bought this one with the intention of building it for reliable daily driving and to do advanced trails anytime i wanted. I've yet to drill an extra hole or change any electronics. I'm at 121k miles now and I feel I could bring her back to stock in pretty short order. At the very beginning I kept all the original parts, such as bumpers, diffs, springs, wheels, tires. Over time I decided to let most of the spares go and i somewhat wished I still had them but I don't lose any sleep over it.

In terms of ROI I look at it from the perspective that I've had a daily driver that I've put 100k miles into and wheeled for almost 10 years and it is still roughly worth what I have in it. That IMO is one way to measure D90 ROI.

Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat