Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:29 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
1993 110 good list import?

Curious what information or experience anyone might have with NHTSA so called "good list" which lists the 1993 110. Copied from their site is the following.

One basis for determining a motor vehicle eligible for importation is that it
1) is substantially similar to a motor vehicle of the same model year that was manufactured for sale in the
United States and certified by its manufacturer as complying with all applicable FMVSS and 2) is capable of
being readily altered to comply with all applicable FMVSS. See 49 U.S.C. 30141(a)(1)(A). Where there is no
substantially similar U.S.-certified motor vehicle of the same model year, a vehicle can only be determined
eligible for importation if its safety features comply with, or are capable of being altered to comply, with all
applicable FMVSS based on destructive test information or other evidence NHTSA decides is adequate.

Substantially similar does not mean it must be 100% exact? So a factory LHD v8 manufactured in 1993 with the same factory NAS interior, aircon dash and all would be legal? There is no vin number criteria or cut off date listed like the NAS 90's do on the "good list", so just a build date in 1993 should fit the description. So if you add the NAS rollcage and NAS lights and have a "clone" you should be good correct?

In my brief search I have found no record of it being done, but it obviously was at one time to be eligible and on the list. I do know it would have to be imported by an Independent Commercial Importer. So who did it and how many were done. Anyone seen one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:37 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
the legal work was already done:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-1997...l/97-10024.htm
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Let us know how it goes.

And don't forget to update the what's legal thread when you do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:42 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Doesn't it need the DOT tag or whatever?
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Back about a decade ago, someone brought in a LHD 200tdi which a registered importer said was up to snuff (it was not). JLRNA's position is any LHD EFI V8 could be brought to NAS specs, but, to my knowledge, the only ones that exist are the prototype (which I believe is a 92) and the ~525 NAS 110s.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:54 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Curious what information or experience anyone might have with NHTSA so called "good list" which lists the 1993 110. Copied from their site is the following.

One basis for determining a motor vehicle eligible for importation is that it
1) is substantially similar to a motor vehicle of the same model year that was manufactured for sale in the
United States and certified by its manufacturer as complying with all applicable FMVSS and 2) is capable of
being readily altered to comply with all applicable FMVSS. See 49 U.S.C. 30141(a)(1)(A). Where there is no
substantially similar U.S.-certified motor vehicle of the same model year, a vehicle can only be determined
eligible for importation if its safety features comply with, or are capable of being altered to comply, with all
applicable FMVSS based on destructive test information or other evidence NHTSA decides is adequate.

Substantially similar does not mean it must be 100% exact? So a factory LHD v8 manufactured in 1993 with the same factory NAS interior, aircon dash and all would be legal? There is no vin number criteria or cut off date listed like the NAS 90's do on the "good list", so just a build date in 1993 should fit the description. So if you add the NAS rollcage and NAS lights and have a "clone" you should be good correct?

In my brief search I have found no record of it being done, but it obviously was at one time to be eligible and on the list. I do know it would have to be imported by an Independent Commercial Importer. So who did it and how many were done. Anyone seen one?

Rollcage and lights alone will not do it. It has to be modified by a Registered Importer (RI) and certified to meet EPA standards by a Commercial Importer. The modifications include welding a NAS specific stiffener to the chassis to protect the fuel cell as required by US law. The RI has to document the modifications and keep a records for review by the US DOT.

Here is the opinion from NHTSA in .pdf format:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HZ9Uxy3afKIdJA

------ Follow up post added January 3rd, 2014 02:55 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
This is only the notice of inquiry. It is not the official NHTSA opinion. See my first link above for the actual opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:58 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I did see that link earlier. Though it was petitioned for, it makes no reference to any actually being imported. So it could be one of those things that never went any further than the petition, possibly due to being cost prohibitive when in the end you are left with a "clone" and not the real deal anyway. This has been of interest to me for a little while now and figured I would ask the members. Is the right truck to even attempt this with just a "unicorn" anyway? Do they exist?
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:01 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
I did see that link earlier. Though it was petitioned for, it makes no reference to any actually being imported. So it could be one of those things that never went any further than the petition, possibly due to being cost prohibitive when in the end you are left with a "clone" and not the real deal anyway. This has been of interest to me for a little while now and figured I would ask the members. Is the right truck to even attempt this with just a "unicorn" anyway? Do they exist?
See my post above.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, import